Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slum living hits Galway!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

I don't get what the awful past situations have to do with a daft present situation. Should we not be better than this, regardless of what some past place was like?

I don't get what the awful past situations have to do with a daft present situation. Should we not be better than this, regardless of what some past place was like?

It is most likely a case that a certain poster is a landlord themselves and as such all, they care about is packing in as many people as possible and spending the bare minimum in maintaining their rental properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You've read about them, you've seen the pictures of Dublin examples.

Now you can see it for yourself in Galway!

http://www.daft.ie/galway/flat-to-share/galway-city/2-aishling-house-augustine-street-galway-city-galway-973619/

You can have an audience while your cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

It is most likely a case that a certain poster is a landlord themselves and as such all, they care about is packing in as many people as possible and spending the bare minimum in maintaining their rental properties.

Having spent the last 9 months basically in constant chasing and arguing with a letting agency about reaching mandated minimum standards in the property I'm renting (and being ignored/fobbed off/eventually evicted for "a relative to move in" with none of the necessary repairs ever being done), it's further away from this situation we need to be going rather than any backward step towards grim past situations.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/ensure-minimum-standards-in-rented-accommodation

Once its safe and kept to a reasonable standard I don't see anything wrong with it. There is a place for all types of accomidation in the market and some people are happy to stay in these setups as its cheaper and flexible.

Personally I wouldn't even stay in a hostel for a night but I know people who lived in hostels for months while travelling or when moving to a new city and not being bothered about looking for permenant accomidation. This is no different to someone living in a hostel for a while except it would offerer more privacy and cost less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Full disclosure.

I am a landlord - overseas.

My 3brm property is not in a location which would make it suitable for use as hostel accommodation - and that's not a business I want to be in anyways.

It is currently tenanted by two people, and is fully managed by a professional property manager, who does quarterly inspections. It's just about to undergo some serious maintenance to the cladding, to fix an issue with water ingress, which the tenant didn't think to mention and so wouldn't have been found without the inspection. It's also had a heating upgrade in the last 18 months.

There is a place in the rental market for various standards of accommodation. As I've shown, slums are nothing new.

It should be fairly obvious that I suspect a bit more about the property under discussion than I'm saying. Let's just say that I don't think notice periods will apply - or that the typical resident will mind that. And that if four people to a room is the worst thing that's done here, that will be pretty good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Full disclosure.

I am a landlord - overseas.

My 3brm property is not in a location which would make it suitable for use as hostel accommodation - and that's not a business I want to be in anyways.

It is currently tenanted by two people, and is fully managed by a professional property manager, who does quarterly inspections. It's just about to undergo some serious maintenance to the cladding, to fix an issue with water ingress, which the tenant didn't think to mention and so wouldn't have been found without the inspection. It's also had a heating upgrade in the last 18 months.

There is a place in the rental market for various standards of accommodation. As I've shown, slums are nothing new.

It should be fairly obvious that I suspect a bit more about the property under discussion than I'm saying. Let's just say that I don't think notice periods will apply - or that the typical resident will mind that. And that if four people to a room is the worst thing that's done here, that will be pretty good going.

What would you expect might be going to happen with it that's worse?

I don't really understand why the person would bother advertising it and letting it to 4 people if they had other plans? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I don't really understand why the person would bother advertising it and letting it to 4 people if they had other plans? What am I missing?

Making money until the other plans kick in, I presume.

Sure as long as no one is selling their body or shooting up then what harm if it's vastly overcrowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Going on the ad that said couples welcome and Mrs OB's insinuations, I'd say the most logical conclusion one can draw is that Mrs OB has a filthy mind...

• Advertisement

What would you expect might be going to happen with it that's worse?

Note my earlier comments about who supervised the renovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

JohnCleary wrote: »
    To those who reckon is it not a slum situation, fair play that you'd live in those conditions.

Full disclosure: I am a landlord.

I would never try to pack 6 bunk beds in to what looks like a small double room. Infact, i'd never even put 2 singles and try to make people share. I'd simply let it as a double room at market rate.

It's all well good and saying "It's basically a hostel", but it's not.
    Is the unit zoned under Planning as a Hostel?
    Are commercial rates being paid?
    Has it passed fire inspection?

€100 per week 'all in', meaning you're a licencee, rather than a tenant = no rights. Sure, we can get high and mighty and claim tenant rights, but guaranteed the landlord / sub-letter would have you out on your trot (maybe this is not a bad thing)

I assume that full rental is being disclosed to Revenue? (give me a break!)

I assume that all tenants are PRTB registered? (Not a chance as they'd be pulling the licencee line)

Assuming that this place is to house 8 people, do you really think 2 tiny kitchens & corridors is enough common space for the tenants?

I would also be curious as to how many showers / toilets are there. Max is going to be 2 showers / 2 toilets which is tight for 8 people unless they are really well co-ordinated.

Thank you for your honest and informed answer.
    Full disclosure: I'm a landlord

May I never rent out anything I would not be willing to live in myself. It's shameful what some people will do for money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

That place is a total kip - cram as many bodies in, preferably non-European immigrants who won’t speak good English, won’t know their rights or dare to complain. It is dives like this that make the public perception of landlords so poor.

The landlord is a total rack renting chancer. Shame on Daft for advertising it.

Greaney wrote: »
    May I never rent out anything I would not be willing to live in myself.

An interesting observation.

I have lived in a place like that for 2-3 months. It was totally suitable for my needs at the time, and far better than anything else I would have got for similar money. Not a "forever home" or even a long-term one - but not everyone needs one of those all the time.

Horses for courses.

Advertisement