Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish insurance in UK

Options
  • 18-01-2018 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey guys/gals. I need to ask a genuine question.

I have recently moved to the UK for a permanent job. My car is still on Irish Plates. I have just sorted out UK insurance on the VIN number. I also have FBD insurance on the Irish reg number. Im in the Uk for the last 4 weeks. I am going to be applying to the DVLA for UK registration within the next few days.
    Can I drive in the UK in the meantime while waiting for paperwork from DVLA  as they could take up to 6 weeks to sort this out for me?
    If I let FBD know that I have moved on a permanent basis, will they provide me temporary cover for a few weeks until i get the local registration? I know best is to ask them, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here.

The company that has insured my can on the VIN number would only allow me to drive to have the MOT done.
    I hope its clear enough. Will appreciate you guys input.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Stay on the Irish insurance for time being. The vosa, HMRC and DVLA stuff will take weeks.

Why do you have a second insurance taken out on the vin anyway? If you end up with a claim you will have a world of hassle

I have up on the end and sold Irish car and bought UK one

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭kayser

Stay on the Irish insurance for time being. The vosa, HMRC and DVLA stuff will take weeks.

Why do you have a second insurance taken out on the vin anyway? If you end up with a claim you will have a world of hassle

I have up on the end and sold Irish car and bought UK one
    Hi. Do you mean I could register it with Irish insurance? I contacted DVLA and they said I need to have UK insurance before they will register it for me. They wouldnt register with irish insurance. But there are a few people on boards that have done it with irish insurance without problems.

No I meant if you have an insurance policy from Ireland you can stay on that for the next while till you get UK plates and vosa certified if needed

No I meant if you have an insurance policy from Ireland you can stay on that for the next while till you get UK plates and vosa certified if needed
    Im planing to stay with the irish policy till I get the plates sorted. The reason I got the uk one is to help with dvla. I had no other choice. You mentioned I could be in trouble if there was a claim because I have two policies on the same car. I guess I would not drive till i get the reg sorted and cancel FBD?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Are both insurers aware that there are 2 policies on the same car?

• Advertisement

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Are both insurers aware that there are 2 policies on the same car?
    No. The new insurer didnt ask so I didnt tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

kayser wrote: »

And have you sent in all you docs yet? I know here to use a no claims bonus, it generally has to be from a cancelled policy (otherwise you have to mirror a live bonus which less and less companies are doing). Though that could be different in the uk. Have you received the proposal form? I would have thought that would be mentioned there but I can't think what the wording would be

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    kayser wrote: »

And have you sent in all you docs yet? I know here to use a no claims bonus, it generally has to be from a cancelled policy (otherwise you have to mirror a live bonus which less and less companies are doing). Have you received the proposal form? I would have thought that would be mentioned there but I can't think what the wording would be
    I have received a no claims letter without cancelling my policy. All I had to do was email them. The uk insurer has said that they will accept it. I have paid for the Uk policy and just waiting for the certificate and cover note. This is my second policy though. The previous one sent me all the documentation but had to cancel it because the excess was £3000.
    I havent sent my paperwork to dvla yet.
    First time doing this so not sure what i am doing is legal or not. I have been searching and searching but cant find any clear guidance. If I could organise my reg with FBD, I wouldnt mind cancelling the vin insurance as a quote on uk reg would probably be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Keep your Irish insurance. Register it. Then take out Uk insurance. Where does the Dvla state you need Uk insurance to get it registered?

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Keep your Irish insurance. Register it. Then take out Uk insurance. Where does the Dvla state you need Uk insurance to get it registered?

Definitely was not a requirement 18 months ago when I looked at the process. I think you might be misunderstanding their requirements. Have you checked if you need vosa certification also. Eg my Audi needed a mph dial added so would have needed recert

• Advertisement

I guess I may have misunderstood them. I was told it should be a uk insurer so the the policy is valid from the date the road tax becomes active.

The vin insurance is not fully active until I get a reg number. It only allows me to drive to mot.
    That's why I thought I'd keep the fbd insurance until I get the uk plates and cancel it once all the paperwork is sorted.

Advertisement