Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher in training disillusioned

Options
  • 19-01-2018 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Looks like you drew the shortest straw when the schools were allocated. You wouldn't be the first nor the last.

Don't take it personally. You've done nothing wrong. Sometimes when you get the difficult class you just have to keep trying new things. Perhaps rather than telling the students exactly what to do, try and give options and personalise the outcomes. Take a step back and find out a bit about the students themselves first, see if they have any interests. Design a Tattoo, discuss video game art, create an add for a friends business, portrait of a pop star or someone they admire, find some interesting pictures that they like !!!. Don't get visually angry or frustrated, just keep encouraging them whilst smiling.

As regards student classes out without notice. It happens in all schools at some stage. It's not your fault.

Could you try and contact other students and see what they're trying out, find another student in a similar school to yourself. For the lecturer To say 'all the other students are getting on fine' isn't really good enough, they're supposed to support you on your placement. IS there any class rep or head of teaching practice that you could outline your concerns with. Rather than going it alone between yourself and your lecturer it might be prudent to let others know that you're trying your best and actually want your students to do well.

For more subject specific tips the UK TES website is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Looks like you drew the shortest straw when the schools were allocated. You wouldn't be the first nor the last.

Don't take it personally. You've done nothing wrong. Sometimes when you get the difficult class you just have to keep trying new things. Perhaps rather than telling the students exactly what to do, try and give options and personalise the outcomes. Take a step back and find out a bit about the students themselves first, see if they have any interests. Design a Tattoo, discuss video game art, create an add for a friends business, portrait of a pop star or someone they admire, find some interesting pictures that they like !!!. Don't get visually angry or frustrated, just keep encouraging them whilst smiling.

As regards student classes out without notice. It happens in all schools at some stage. It's not your fault.

Could you try and contact other students and see what they're trying out, find another student in a similar school to yourself. For the lecturer To say 'all the other students are getting on fine' isn't really good enough, they're supposed to support you on your placement. IS there any class rep or head of teaching practice that you could outline your concerns with. Rather than going it alone between yourself and your lecturer it might be prudent to let others know that you're trying your best and actually want your students to do well.

For more subject specific tips the UK TES website is also good.

Thank you so much for responding. This was the head of teaching practice that said that to me. Other art/teacher students in my class are already working as art or design tutors in ETBs so they already know their class/have been teaching years and have full responsibility, I didnt think his comment was fair given the situation. Getting to know students interests is a great idea and thank you for the website, thats really helpful.

If you are going to try something completely new don't make a big announcement about it, keep it understated and jump swiftly into it. Dunno if it helps but keep teacher talking to a minimum and loads of class doing, make sure everything is there so the class isn't disrupted because of forgotten material etc.
    See if you can arrive to the class before the students (door locked/they wait outside). Otherwise they have the psychological advantage of squatters rights. Or else look for some reason to move them around (better light, glare on the board.... you want to bring them up to show them something).
    YouTube has a few teaching tips videos.

If you are going to try something completely new don't make a big announcement about it, keep it understated and jump swiftly into it. Dunno if it helps but keep teacher talking to a minimum and loads of class doing, make sure everything is there so the class isn't disrupted because of forgotten material etc.
    See if you can arrive to the class before the students (door locked/they wait outside). Otherwise they have the psychological advantage of squatters rights. Or else look for some reason to move them around (better light, glare on the board.... you want to bring them up to show them something).
    YouTube has a few teaching tips videos.

Thanks for this but it wont work, i'm not allowed to be on my own with students, management wont allow me to take groups to the art room so im being made to do art projects in the classroom with class teacher present. Im not permitted to rearrange tables /use boards.. asking them to get sketch books was an issues... im not being taken seriously at all and any attempt to create a class environment that works for me and the subject or allows me to actually teach the students anything isnt permitted. From their view im in their space and not a part of the staff. The students are already in the classroom when I arrive as they generally stick to the same room unless being taken out for other activities. They can go with other members on their own but not with me because im doing work experience. Its really frustrating.

Any way you could about around for a different school? How long do you have left on the teaching practice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I think you need to start afresh somewhere. How do inspections work? You are meant to be on your own with your classes.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I think you need to start afresh somewhere. How do inspections work? You are meant to be on your own with your classes.

Ya I would have thought this too. They are either your class or they're not.

It might be one be of these things. Suck it up go in and take the abuse, agree with everything your supervisor says. Play along with the school. Try and not let it affect your grade. As soon as you've qualified get a proper school, don't look back.
    Although in some ways that's like what was going on in Hollywood etc.. say nothing, don't rock the boat, take the abuse in the hope that something good will come along.

I know of cases like yours when I did the dip. Some spent all their energy fighting the college trying to get a different school different supervisor,appealing grades.... and fair play to them.
    Others just said nothing nodded at everything the supervisor said, took the hassle in the school, passed the course and moved on.
    Others just left the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

True but at the same time the OP has to think of their mental health. How long have you left of your placement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

True but at the same time the OP has to think of their mental health. How long have you left of your placement ?

These are the battles that make a person a teacher. Controlling a class is the first part of becoming a teacher and a huge amount is learned in a struggle like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

No, they are not. Supervising teacher is meant to be there at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No, they are not. Supervising teacher is meant to be there at all times.

Depends on the school policy or teaching course they come from.

Thanks everyone for responding. I dont mind having a supervising teacher in the room but theyre so undermining of me. Im not seen as a 'teacher' .. im seen as someone coming in to do basic art and craft for the students enjoyment. I have boxes to tick and have to meet the QQI outline requirements but with no materials, not being permitted to work in the art room its difficult.
    The teachers/staff undermine my work so the students do to.
    Theres no were else I can go at this stage, travelling to another town or city for a placement isnt possible as I cant afford the travel costs.

I'm a bit confused.
    Is The person who is assigning you your teaching practice grades there every single time you're there, or do you have somebody from the teacher training college calling in unannounced on a particular day to assess how a class goes?

Either way... have you been given an indication as to how your teaching practice is going (without giving an exact grade)?

You probably wouldn't want to say exactly how much time you've left as it might identify the exact course/college etc.

Advertisement