Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church of the Holy Redeemer Bray

Options
  • 19-01-2018 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Am I imagining it or was the original church here badly damaged by fire c.1964/65 and the front remodelled in 1965? I lived in the town then but was very young and time muddies the memory. The present front of the building is a horrible looking creation compared to the old Gothic design. Any help much appreciated. :)

church-bray-pc.jpg?w=645&h=1024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont think there was a fire. I think it was just changed. But I am not sure really. I only remember the current church.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I worked in Bray in the 1970s and early 80s and recall being told that the church had needed to be extended and that there were concerns about the integrity of the tower in such works. Have no idea whether that was true but its credible. No fire was mentioned but I do remember St. Michaels in Dun Laoghaire going up in flames.

Link from the architectural survey mentions a reconstruction in 1965 but no reason for it.
    http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WI&regno=16301274

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I remember the Dun Laoghaire fire as my Granny was in St.Michael's Nursing Home in Dun Laoghaire at the time, but I'm 'almost' positive that there was a fire at the Holy Redeemer too.

Advertisement