Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottling wand and hops

Options
  • 19-01-2018 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I've only recently started using a bottling wand (what a discovery!) but the kit I'm making at the moment will have a hop addition. Does anyone know of the broken up hops will clog the bottling wand. I could pit the hops in a muslin bag if needed I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

You could put your hops into a hop bag alright. What way are you priming your bottles? You should really transfer to a separate bottling bucket and batch prime. This will clean up your end result a lot too and personally is a far better way to carbonate than carbonation drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've been using a hop bag and second FV for bottling. The hop bag goes in the primary FV and then I transfer the beer to the secondary and leave it for 48 - 72 hours. I find this produces a much clearer beer.

The problem now though is that I'm moving beyond carbonation drops and see the need for batch priming to get my carbonation levels right. If I batch prime the secondary it will stir up all of the sediment. So I'm now thinking secondary to bottling bucket.

But hop bags FTW for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm priming the bottles because i cracked my second 25l bin trying to drill a tap hole in it. Doh!
    I'll use a hop bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The carbonation drops are grand, and I've never had a gusher with them, but sometimes they can make a beer too fizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Evil Phil wrote: »
    The carbonation drops are grand, and I've never had a gusher with them, but sometimes they can make a beer too fizzy.

I actually just use a half teaspoon of sugar. Works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I've been using a hop bag and second FV for bottling. The hop bag goes in the primary FV and then I transfer the beer to the secondary and leave it for 48 - 72 hours. I find this produces a much clearer beer.

The problem now though is that I'm moving beyond carbonation drops and see the need for batch priming to get my carbonation levels right. If I batch prime the secondary it will stir up all of the sediment. So I'm now thinking secondary to bottling bucket.

But hop bags FTW for sure.

If you can crash cool for a day or two there's no need to transfer to secondary. Even that just leave it for a few extra days in primary then use your second bucket for batch priming. Minimize transfers to limit the chances of infections. Don't be too greedy either with your syphoning, keep it just above the trub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

mordeith wrote: »
    I'm priming the bottles because i cracked my second 25l bin trying to drill a tap hole in it. Doh!
    I'll use a hop bag.

Use a step drill next time - even a cheapo Amazon one will be fine with a plastic fermenter.

Advertisement