Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury Rev - Deserter Songs Accoustic Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭sporina

just back from the matinee in Cork - OMG - adjectives fail me now... OMG - really - thats all i can say.. i was totally blown away..the setting obviously, the sound, the cameraderie amongst the band, the performance, twas so much more than a rehash of the album - twas so 3d-they played covers of songs that they associated with the time of making the album.. before during and after - like from Pavement, Sparkle Horse (sea of teeth was my fav song of the gig actually), and all is dream's nite and frog... wow - it was incredible - and the lead guitarist was a delight.. he sang solos in harmony - v sweet.. Opus 40 was out of this planet... an acoustic rock out.. a great end before 2 encores .. PS flute on endlessly was divine.. and what a raconteur is the lead.. awe stop twas just a beautiful beautiful eve from start to finish - thank god for the 2 encores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

2 encores! Damn Ye! :pac:

I did get a bit emotional at some points, truly beautiful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 The Gram

Thanks for the review! Really looking forward to Galway matinee now.

What time were they on stage? Travelling up from Mayo for this so don't want to miss main event.

The Gram wrote: »
    Thanks for the review! Really looking forward to Galway matinee now.

What time were they on stage? Travelling up from Mayo for this so don't want to miss main event.

support started at 4.30 and they were on at 5.30 till 6.50

Quality gig in Limerick tonight. Pure stripped back versions of the album, but beautiful stuff.

I thought we’d get more chat and maybe a few more extra tracks, but a must see for anyone who loves the album.

Lyla foy as the support has a lovely voice but very meh songs.

sorry to hear that - sounds like your gig was the opposite of ours - lots of sceali and banter - he had no beer so folk from the audience gave him some.. we got a track from the flaming lips too - love yer brain - and they did a great performance piece to opus 40 - like he was diving energy from the ground and then released it -was so class with the music - massive build up and then crescendo

and the flute on endlessly was sublime..

gee i wish I had have had a ticket for the night gig too...

he was so theatrical n stage - would love to see him duet with Roisin Murphy - never gonna happen

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    sorry to hear that - sounds like your gig was the opposite of ours - lots of sceali and banter - he had no beer so folk from the audience gave him some.. we got a track from the flaming lips too - love yer brain - and they did a great performance piece to opus 40 - like he was diving energy from the ground and then released it -was so class with the music - massive build up and then crescendo

and the flute on endlessly was sublime..

gee i wish I had have had a ticket for the night gig too...

he was so theatrical n stage - would love to see him duet with Roisin Murphy - never gonna happen

Ah no, sounds just like our gig except Ye got the All Is Dream track!

Ah no, sounds just like our gig except Ye got the All Is Dream track!

Oh u said u expected more chat and extra tracks - we got lots of both - and the full album and Nite and fog - but bad for 1. Hr 20 mins inc 2 encores

Oh u said u expected more chat and extra tracks - we got lots of both - and the full album and Nite and fog - but bad for 1. Hr 20 mins inc 2 encores

Errrr yes we got that too, I wanted more. I thought it would be closer to 1 hr 45.

Not a complaint, just wanted more of a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

I was at the Cork matinee gig too, it was awesome,
    I thought it was "The Dark is Rising" they played from All is Dream. Don't remember Nite & Fog being played unless I'm forgetting it.
    Got my album signed by the guys so was happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Great gig at St Luke's. I'd say I'm not as familiar with the band as some in this thread but thoroughly enjoyed it. The stories between the songs were lovely, gave a great insight into the band and the process, and the covers of Pavement, Sparklehorse and the Flaming Lips were all brilliant.

'Holes', 'Opus 40' and 'The Dark is Rising' was a great trio of songs.

Lyla Foy sounded great too. Only caught the end of her set but would make an effort to get their on time if I was going again!

Only complaint was the gang sitting right behind me who didn't stop talking throughout the entire show. I mean, enjoy it whatever way you want to, but I genuinely struggled to hear the band over them from time to time. Heard some great stories about the photocopier in work and the layout of their Facebook news feed, mind.

• Advertisement

Errrr yes we got that too, I wanted more. I thought it would be closer to 1 hr 45.

Not a complaint, just wanted more of a great thing.
    RodVelvet wrote: »
    I was at the Cork matinee gig too, it was awesome,
    I thought it was "The Dark is Rising" they played from All is Dream. Don't remember Nite & Fog being played unless I'm forgetting it.
    Got my album signed by the guys so was happy out.

@jp - well looks like we got a bit more - they played for 1 hr 20 2 encores and a little story before each song.. and yes @rv my mistake - twas the dark is rising..

some bang for our buck - would have paid double for that

Only complaint was the gang sitting right behind me who didn't stop talking throughout the entire show. I mean, enjoy it whatever way you want to, but I genuinely struggled to hear the band over them from time to time. Heard some great stories about the photocopier in work and the layout of their Facebook news feed, mind.

In Limerick one of the venue staff made an announcement before the gig “this is a hush hush gig largely, so if you wanna chat about work or whatever, please bugger off to the smoking area”, did the trick it seemed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

In Limerick one of the venue staff made an announcement before the gig “this is a hush hush gig largely, so if you wanna chat about work or whatever, please bugger off to the smoking area”, did the trick it seemed!

That would have been nice!!

I hate to be that guy but why pay to go to a gig - especially an acoustic set in a f*cking church - and then talk - loudly! - throughout?

Luckily, there was some free space and we got to move for the last run of songs but I really struggled to hear over them at times.

Anyway, it didn't spoil what really was a lovely show. Very glad I went - I left it a bigger fan of Mercury Rev than I entered which is always a good sign for a gig IMO!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Enough with the back and forth whinging over nothing. Take it to PM if you want to keep the discussion going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

Galway last night was lovely but looking at descriptions of other shows here, we didn't get as much. Songs were great, band in brilliant form. Would have loved a few more covers. Only a one song encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

mosstin wrote: »
    Galway last night was lovely but looking at descriptions of other shows here, we didn't get as much. Songs were great, band in brilliant form. Would have loved a few more covers. Only a one song encore.

Haven’t seen the Galway setlist but from what I can tell you only missed out on “The Dark Is Rising”, I was at the second Cork show and we didn’t get it either.....my friend got the setlist signed by the guys afterwards and I accusingly pointed towards “The Dark Is Rising” on it to Jonathan and he said “well sometimes the dark rises and sometimes it doesn’t” so there you go!

My only complaint(and this is very much of the first world variety) is “Goddess..” as an encore, it’s a show based on “Deserter Songs”, you KNOW your getting “Godess..” so getting it as an encore just seemed a bit silly if you know I mean

I’ll tell you something far more interesting about the setlist though, “Chasing A Bee” is on it!! As far as I know it hasn’t been played since 99 ish and it’s a dream of mine to see them do it, I don’t know if was the shock or what but I didn’t ask him so I don’t know if there’s any chance of it turning up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

mosstin wrote: »
    It was a great gig, probably not as long as the others but i’m just glad they included galway on the tour.... band were tight

I bought grasshopper a pint

That would have been nice!!

I hate to be that guy but why pay to go to a gig - especially an acoustic set in a f*cking church - and then talk - loudly! - throughout?

Luckily, there was some free space and we got to move for the last run of songs but I really struggled to hear over them at times.

Anyway, it didn't spoil what really was a lovely show. Very glad I went - I left it a bigger fan of Mercury Rev than I entered which is always a good sign for a gig IMO!

It never ceases to amaze me how people can go to gigs and yap through it (and it’s always yapping about tedious ****e too).....I can understand it(to a degree) at stadium gigs since bands who are big enough to play those will always have the casual fans who can barely shut up during the songs they know let alone the ones they don’t know and there’s always a lot of people who get free tickets

But these are small gigs where your pretty much told 80% of the setlist beforehand due to the nature of the show.....it truly baffles me why people do it, I saw Richard Hawley play acoustic a few years back and everyone was handed a little slip of paper when entering which basically said “this is a quiet acoustic show please don’t talk” and to my utter amazement it worked!!

Anyway, the only solution is get as close to the front as possible I find if you want to avoid the talkers, it’s such a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

Haven’t seen the Galway setlist but from what I can tell you only missed out on “The Dark Is Rising”, I was at the second Cork show and we didn’t get it either.....my friend got the setlist signed by the guys afterwards and I accusingly pointed towards “The Dark Is Rising” on it to Jonathan and he said “well sometimes the dark rises and sometimes it doesn’t” so there you go!

My only complaint(and this is very much of the first world variety) is “Goddess..” as an encore, it’s a show based on “Deserter Songs”, you KNOW your getting “Godess..” so getting it as an encore just seemed a bit silly if you know I mean

I’ll tell you something far more interesting about the setlist though, “Chasing A Bee” is on it!! As far as I know it hasn’t been played since 99 ish and it’s a dream of mine to see them do it, I don’t know if was the shock or what but I didn’t ask him so I don’t know if there’s any chance of it turning up

'Chasing a Bee' or 'Frittering' would have reduced me to a puddle.

sorry if i am having a slow moment - but i'm unclear - did they play chasing a bee? ask him what? turning up?

• Advertisement

[/B]

sorry if i am having a slow moment - but i'm unclear - did they play chasing a bee? ask him what? turning up?

They didn't play it....but it was on the setlist for Friday night in Cork, I meant had I be thinking clearer I would have asked Jonathan if it was likely to played on this tour at all

They didn't play it....but it was on the setlist for Friday night in Cork, I meant had I be thinking clearer I would have asked Jonathan if it was likely to played on this tour at all

Don’t worry, everyone else with basic reading comprehension understood you perfectly.

awe ok thanks for the clarification.

tell us more about the gig? the matinee was class - i was so blown away.. and the sun shining in through the windows - twas magical - and he did a performance kind of piece to Opus 40 - like diving and releasing an energy with a big crescendo.. v cool..

That was my 6th time seeing them (would have been my 7th if I had chanced going to see them in Sir Henry’s in 1999 though, I was only 17 at the time so would have more than likely been turned away.....I’ll regret to my dying day I didn’t at least try though)

The gig itself was wonderful, they’re hands down my favourite live band, even when I saw them tour “Snowflake Midnight” which I thought was quite poor the gig was incredible, Jonathan always, always gives it 100%. I was a bit dubious about these gigs as they already toured “Deserter Songs” in its entirety in 2011, it was amazing but doing it again 7 years later??.........I should have known better as this was a very different gig to the full album shows, a truly special performance of a unique album, St Lukes was pretty much perfect for this show too, loved the covers and hearing “Peaceful Night” was a huge thrill as I didnt get to see them until 2001 and they had stopped playing a lot of the pre “Deserter Songs” material by then

Speaking of songs on the set list not being played I was close enough to the stage in 2008 (or maybe it was 2011) that I could see “Empire State” as an encore, was ridiculously excited to hear it........aaaaaand they didn’t play it!

That was my 6th time seeing them (would have been my 7th if I had chanced going to see them in Sir Henry’s in 1999 though, I was only 17 at the time so would have more than likely been turned away.....I’ll regret to my dying day I didn’t at least try though)

The gig itself was wonderful, they’re hands down my favourite live band, even when I saw them tour “Snowflake Midnight” which I thought was quite poor the gig was incredible, Jonathan always, always gives it 100%. I was a bit dubious about these gigs as they already toured “Deserter Songs” in its entirety in 2011, it was amazing but doing it again 7 years later??.........I should have known better as this was a very different gig to the full album shows, a truly special performance of a unique album, St Lukes was pretty much perfect for this show too, loved the covers and hearing “Peaceful Night” was a huge thrill as I didnt get to see them until 2001 and they had stopped playing a lot of the pre “Deserter Songs” material by then

Speaking of songs on the set list not being played I was close enough to the stage in 2008 (or maybe it was 2011) that I could see “Empire State” as an encore, was ridiculously excited to hear it........aaaaaand they didn’t play it!

sounds great - and you seem to be a massive fan - tbh i only discovered them in 1999 - got a ticket to see them in the Olympia and was blown away.. was at the Cypress Ave gig and man did it rock!! will never forget it. Friday eve, I didn't want the gig to end - was so glad of the 2nd encore - but when it was over I so wished I had had a ticket for the later gig too - i got such a buzz of them - the music, the camaraderie, the chat and theatrics - man such an eve..
    delighted i got to go

sounds great - and you seem to be a massive fan - tbh i only discovered them in 1999 - got a ticket to see them in the Olympia and was blown away.. was at the Cypress Ave gig and man did it rock!! will never forget it. Friday eve, I didn't want the gig to end - was so glad of the 2nd encore - but when it was over I so wished I had had a ticket for the later gig too - i got such a buzz of them - the music, the camaraderie, the chat and theatrics - man such an eve..
    delighted i got to go

I was giving serious thought to going to the evening show too, I finished work earlier than expected so it crossed my mind I must say, I’ve gone to them two nights in a row before and seen other bands two nights on the trot too but I thought twice in one day was a bit much........or was it? .....I still don’t know, part of me regrets not saying f*** it and going for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Matinee show in Galway was excellent, I wasn't sure what to expect when it was billed as an acoustic show. It was a bit more than that and the stories between songs really told more about Mercury Rev and Deserters Song that I would have known. It all felt authentic and some of the stories were a good laugh, it looked like the band were all enjoying themselves as well.

Audience and venue\staff were great, would have loved an extra encore but no complaints. The guy from The Waterboys was a good addition to the songs and the support act Layla Foy has some lovely songs.

I hope these matinee shows become more common in general, very handy for us parents who dont get out at night as much as we used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It never ceases to amaze me how people can go to gigs and yap through it (and it’s always yapping about tedious ****e too).....I can understand it(to a degree) at stadium gigs since bands who are big enough to play those will always have the casual fans who can barely shut up during the songs they know let alone the ones they don’t know and there’s always a lot of people who get free tickets

But these are small gigs where your pretty much told 80% of the setlist beforehand due to the nature of the show.....it truly baffles me why people do it, I saw Richard Hawley play acoustic a few years back and everyone was handed a little slip of paper when entering which basically said “this is a quiet acoustic show please don’t talk” and to my utter amazement it worked!!

Anyway, the only solution is get as close to the front as possible I find if you want to avoid the talkers, it’s such a nuisance

I think that was why they had Layla Foy there, she was taking no sh*t from talkers at the Galway gig. In the middle of the song "I can actually hear what you are saying from up here"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Went to the show on Sunday night in Whelan's. Magical is the word that I'd use to describe it. It was funny, engaging, captivating. I loved the way that Jonathon told the story of Deserter's Songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Mercury Rev are back in Dublin again in June. Outdoor gig in Donnybrook Stadium supporting Future Island.

Mercury Rev celebrate the 20th anniversary of their 1998 Deserter’s Songs live at Energia Park on June 17 as special guests to @futureislands. Tickets for Future Islands/Mercury Rev celebrates Deserter’s Songs (20th Anniversary)/Idles + more on sale now➡️https://t.co/4wi86blwtY https://t.co/aeZukfdb6b

Advertisement