Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Half Marathon - 29 April 2018

Options
  • 19-01-2018 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

As there doesn't seem to be a thread for this yet, I thought I'd start one. It will be my second time running this half marathon.

Website

Thread from 2016 I couldn't find one for 2017.

Route I'm not sure if this will change as it runs through Johnstown Castle, which is due to undergo some refurbishment. Johnstown parkrun has been moved for the duration of the works, so it will be interesting to see if there's any impact on the route for the half.

Starts at 10.30.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Registered myself as part of the Trilogy series (Wicklow, Wexford, Clontarf)

Have never run in any of these three before so looking forward to the novelty factor.

Wexford is quite the spin for me so looks like I'll have to make a full weekend out of it. How bad?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    As there doesn't seem to be a thread for this yet, I thought I'd start one. It will be my second time running this half marathon.

Website

Thread from 2016 I couldn't find one for 2017.

Route I'm not sure if this will change as it runs through Johnstown Castle, which is due to undergo some refurbishment. Johnstown parkrun has been moved for the duration of the works, so it will be interesting to see if there's any impact on the route for the half.

Starts at 10.30.

As anticipated, the route has been changed:

Route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Just looking at the site for this rate and they make a big deal about how its "Ireland's Record Breaking Course", and how many PB's it gets. Does anyone who's run it before know what that is? Is it just because it's generally flat, or is it downhill or something?

Antilles wrote: »
    Just looking at the site for this rate and they make a big deal about how its "Ireland's Record Breaking Course", and how many PB's it gets. Does anyone who's run it before know what that is? Is it just because it's generally flat, or is it downhill or something?

I ran it last year and it's certainly not flat or downhill. It pretty much starts at sea level.

It says on the website that it broke the world record for retro running - whatever that might be. Running backwards, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is this sold out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Esse85 wrote:
    Is this sold out?

Yes sold out about 6 wks ago. Loads signed up this yr as they have a trilogy medal to collect with 2 other races Eoin Ryan organises 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I ran it last year and it's certainly not flat or downhill. It pretty much starts at sea level.

It says on the website that it broke the world record for retro running - whatever that might be. Running backwards, maybe?

I think some guy did run this backwards last year, and possibly set some sort of record in the process.

If they are calling it a record breaking course on that basis, they have some neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Antilles wrote:

Ran this a few times and it's certainly not flat. It starts at the town centre but climbs slowly for the first 4/5 K's through Johnstown park then back but I think there maybe some changes to the route this year?
    It's a nice course and really well run so would recommend and will go back

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flex2016

Antilles wrote: »

Record breaking is horsey poo. I only did 10k last year and the first four were uphill. Won’t be doing it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

It's a nice course. I don't think it is advertised as a "flat" course anywhere though. Personally, my PB was set on this course, by 2 minutes... The first 7km or so is a gradual climb, some parts a little steeper than others but no big gradients. After that there's not much climbing and you're on a gradual descent all the way to the finish. I've done the race 4 times now. What can be a factor, and was for me twice, is wind. The last 5-6 km are on a fairly open road. If you're unlucky enough to get a (relatively rare) Northerly wind it can be a tough finish.

• Advertisement

Has anyone ever followed a pacer for this?

Somewhat unexpectedly, there seems to be a pace group for my goal time. I think it used to be paced by people from around these parts but that was a number of years back, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone had any experience, good, bad or indifferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The course has changed a bit, first 4mile is the same & last 4 are about the same. Had to change the loop through Johnstown Castle as renovations works ongoing.

It is a nice course, but by no means flat. First 5mile will be an overall climb. Flat after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Did this yesterday as a tune up run. Its advertised as a PB course but I think that if anyone got a PB, their PB was too soft!

Decent event and nice to have pacers. Warm day and uphill for the first 5 miles, but then a combination of flat and downhill for most of the rest.
    Windy enough coming back in towards town but not too bad.

Did this yesterday as a tune up run. Its advertised as a PB course but I think that if anyone got a PB, their PB was too soft!

Decent event and nice to have pacers. Warm day and uphill for the first 5 miles, but then a combination of flat and downhill for most of the rest.
    Windy enough coming back in towards town but not too bad.

I found the breeze nicely cooling, rather than a hindrance. I got fierce warm on the run out to Murrintown.

Thought it was a decent event, too. The only small negative comment I'd have to make is that I wasn't sure where to run when coming out of the industrial estate. Everyone ran up on the pavement, but kept to the road, as I didn't want to cut any corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Ran this myself, and while pleased with my time, I'm not convinced it's a pb course. First half felt like continuous climbs, then the head wind coming back in to the town

The organisation was top class with the marshalls giving directions when needed

Off to train for clontarf now & final part of the trilogy

I don't know how he gets away with calling it a pb course. The second half of course is nice, but there is generally wind on the Rosslare road coming back in.

I was tempted to cut the exit from the Industrial Estate too, but stayed on the road.

I found it very warm, wouldn't generally need much water during races, but took some at nearly every station.

No shortage of marshals on course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I don't know how he gets away with calling it a pb course. The second half of course is nice, but there is generally wind on the Rosslare road coming back in.

I was tempted to cut the exit from the Industrial Estate too, but stayed on the road.

I found it very warm, wouldn't generally need much water during races, but took some at nearly every station.

No shortage of marshals on course.

Sometimes the wind can be behind you on the rosslare road and strong

That's the problem with wind, I'm more inclined to remember head ones as opposed to tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    That's the problem with wind, I'm more inclined to remember head ones as opposed to tailwind.

Well i run down there once a month. 10/12 times its against you

Advertisement