Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using post hole borer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

looksee wrote:
    Has anyone used one of these hand operated drills for boring post holes? Are they a reasonable gadget for drilling holes, do you need massive strength to use them? Thanks for any observations!

Cant say ive used one but ive just spent 2 weeks fencing farm for sheep.i doubt itd have been any help for me as it was very rocky.might be helpful in good ground tho.but a crowbar is helpful there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Those hand held ones are manageable by one person in loose soil. But if it's hard rocky ground forget about it. It will either get stuck or try take the arms off you. You can get ones for the back of a tractor they are a great job. I know you can hire one in a local place here. We did a timber fence around a football pitch. Had 250 holes bored in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭victor8600

jimini0 wrote: »
    Those hand held ones are manageable by one person in loose soil. But if it's hard rocky ground forget about it.

From my experience same applies to handheld petrol powered augers as well. They will not drill through rock obviously, and a fist-sized stone will just stop them.

I found that simply driving posts in with a post rammer:
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/draper-fence-post-driver-rammer-520mm-handles-26479.html
    is better than trying to dig a hole first. The tapered tip of a post goes around stones in most cases.

If you can get a tractor with a rammer, all the better. If you want to do it on the cheap, get a handheld post rammer. Good exercise too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks, the rammer is an option - I don't think there will be space for a tractor, quite apart from the fact that I don't have one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭susign

I hired a good Stihl petrol driven one a couple of times from a local hire company. €60 plus VAT for the weekend.

They're a great job until near roots of trees or stony grround. They have a Safety-Stop bar that activates like a safety break on a chainsaw but it can still be awfully painful when it does hit even small stones or roots. It can spin around a hit you with alot of force before stopping

They are still very handy though as i can dig the stones out of the way with a spade and it avoids digging an over sized hole when putting up steel end-posts for sheep wire.

I suggest hire a petrol driven one to try out and buy one if you are happy with it. You need power.

• Advertisement
Advertisement