Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon charging £9.00 for return

Options
  • 19-01-2018 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hi I noticed Amazon have a new policy, I tried to return an unopened playstation game, and it is charging me £9, there is also an option for refund via gift card but this still charges the £9! Is returns via online change of mind not free or have I just been spoiled over the years? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've never had free change of mind returns but if you can think up a good excuse then its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

my3cents wrote: »
    I've never had free change of mind returns but if you can think up a good excuse then its free.

Ok thanks, fair enough come to think of it I cant remember the last time I had a change of mind return so maybe I am just not used to it.

I actually tried cancelling it before it shipped but it was too late and amazon said I could return it, I'l get onto their help they are usually very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Change of mind return has never been free, only if it's faulty or not as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

I was in a similar situation with a game before Christmas, same as you it hadn't yet shipped but was too late to cancel seemingly.

Once it arrived I followed the returns process but chose something like "incompatible" as the reason and there was no return cost. Received a full refund shortly thereafter and dropped it into my local post office with the provided label.

If they follow up I'll say I bought it for the wrong console or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Doesn't the EU have a 14 day cooling off period for all online sales within the EU?

Even change of mind is covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sparko wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation with a game before Christmas, same as you it hadn't yet shipped but was too late to cancel seemingly.

Once it arrived I followed the returns process but chose something like "incompatible" as the reason and there was no return cost. Received a full refund shortly thereafter and dropped it into my local post office with the provided label.

If they follow up I'll say I bought it for the wrong console or something!

Don't encourage/suggest fraud

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Doesn't the EU have a 14 day cooling off period for all online sales within the EU?

It's covered to return the item but you have to pay return postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

It's covered to return the item but you have to pay return postage.

Isn’t the OP entitled to use a cheaper method of return of his own choosing then? I recently sent a package envelope registered to the USA for €7.50 so £9.00 return is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I fail to understand why some people think postage should be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Isn’t the OP entitled to use a cheaper method of return of his own choosing then? I recently sent a package envelope registered to the USA for €7.50 so £9.00 return is a rip off.

That's fine if it's a cheap item, but if it's damaged during postage then you won't have any comeback. Insurance with an post packages is quite expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pangea wrote: »
    Hi I noticed Amazon have a new policy, I tried to return an unopened playstation game, and it is charging me £9, there is also an option for refund via gift card but this still charges the £9! Is returns via online change of mind not free or have I just been spoiled over the years? :pac:

Nothing new at all,
    amazon has always stated returns for change of mind can be charged for, it's always been stated in their return policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Absolutely, online or distance sales are subject to a 14 day cooling off period, from date of receipt, where you can return the goods, no questions, for a full refund.

However, you are still liable for the cost of returning the goods in a change of mind situation. Some retailers are extra generous and will cover the cost of such returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

dudara wrote: »
    Absolutely, online or distance sales are subject to a 14 day cooling off period, from date of receipt, where you can return the goods, no questions, for a full refund.

However, you are still liable for the cost of returning the goods in a change of mind situation. Some retailers are extra generous and will cover the cost of such returns.

Yep, https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/if-things-dont-go-as-planned/

4th sentence onwards in the first paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pangea wrote: »
    Ok thanks, fair enough come to think of it I cant remember the last time I had a change of mind return so maybe I am just not used to it.

I actually tried cancelling it before it shipped but it was too late and amazon said I could return it, I'l get onto their help they are usually very good.

You could have refused delivery and then it would have been returned free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Del2005 wrote: »

Thats a good idea when a signature is needed and the delivery system works as it should but with iParcel and their Irish partner Fastway you are just as likely to have the goods dumped on your doorstep and have the driver sign for it.

Then how do you refuse goods that don't require a signature, I still get a lot of Amazon stuff through An Post that I don't have to sign for?

Del2005 wrote: »

No they can still charge you for the cost of return courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

Yes it does.

It doesn't mean that the seller has to swallow the return cost though.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/your-rights-online/
    When you buy online, you are given a cooling-off period of 14 days. This means you have the right to cancel an order for any reason within this period. If you buy a product online, the cooling off period ends 14 days after you receive it.

You must also return the item within 14 days from the day you cancelled. If you cancel the order because you change your mind, you may have to pay for the cost of returning it. But, if the item is faulty, then you do not have to pay for the cost of returning it. The business must refund you any standard delivery costs you paid. They don’t have to refund you any additional delivery costs for example if the item was delivered by priority posting.

Advertisement