Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide Marina play area and others

Options
  • 19-01-2018 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

Anyone been to the indoor malahide marina play area with a nearly 3 year old? We've never done indoor play areas and I want to make sure there's a space she can play and yet be close to me until she gets used to it (she can be a little shy but soon gets over it)

Also on the subject, any other recommendations of places to go to break the winter boredom. We spend most of our time outside and don't have a car weekdays...

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yep.It's good.Small-ish but very manageable, perfect for a three year old really.There is a Fun Galaxy in Airside too, but it has a very high section that they go out of your sight on and I wasn't mad about it (was trying to keep an eye on a baby at the same time).

We bundle up and go outside.Skerries, along the beach there or up to the playground, Ardgillan castle playground and fairy doors, Newbridge House -playground and petting farm.Or just walk around the back where some of the animals can be seen up close through the fences anyway!Malahide castle has a playground and good walk.We have to get out with our pair at least once every day unless the weather is totally desperate,or else they go mad.Rain trousers, boots, warm coat and accessories and off they go.

Swimming pool in Portmarnock doesn't require membership and does a lot of open or family hours too.Our worse case scenario is a soft play centre!!

Edit, re-read your post.Could you get a train or bus?They get so excited about it and Skerries is on the train line, very handy.(not sure where you are sorry!)We tend to incorporate coffee shop stops in our outings too (mammy's fault).How about the library also?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

Thanks, we're in Donabate, so we go to Newbridge a lot and we've been to the pool in Portmarnock a few times too and Malahide is always a favourite!
    We also live on a farm with animals and have our chickens so we spend a lot of time walking the woods which is always great.

I'm onto my third trimester now so my body is starting to give out a bit on the long walks and with the cold so it I'll give the indoor a go and see how we get on. Really can't wait for the spring now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The only downside I found to soft play when you are heavily pregnant is you have to watch yourself getting in and out if they need help.Malahide is good that way because it's relatively small, but there is still a high section to it that you would be safer to stay off, although she should manage fine.
    I've given up on them for now myself, my pair would be in different areas due to their ages amd I am too pregnant to chase them both, so I can't even tell you how busy it would be or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

Ah, very good point! Muse see, neither of us are big into noisy indoor areas either (like mother like daughter) so I guess we can just endure a few more weeks. We don't know many people up this area and are getting a bit bored with the routine but the new baby and the weather will be here in no time!

Congrats by the way!

Well it's a nice little play centre, especially if you are thinking of going there on weekdays in the morning say. You can get a cup of coffee and sit right beside the areas she'd be in and I'd say it would be quite quiet. My little one was closer to 2 when we went a few times, and it suited great. I have gone with the two of them, but that was when no.2 would still sit in a buggy - not a hope of that now!

Maybe join a breastfeeding group or mother and toddler group when no.2 arrives, it will introduce you to more people in the area :) Thanks for the congrats, you too. We used to visit the library every couple of weeks to borrow books - just for an outing more than anything else!

• Advertisement
Advertisement