Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring alloys

Options
  • 19-01-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I recently purchased a VW golf MK5. Ive only been driving a year so Im picking up things as i go along.

At the moment there is a set of Monoblock F 17s that have a VW Center cap.

Are these correct for the car and also how do i know if they are real or not.

Also would my premium also go up by much when they are declared?

Any info would be great.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Might not be received well here, but don't bother declaring the alloys...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gavshee

If the car was damaged or in an accident and the alloys not declared can they void my policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭kirving

Yes, they can, if they didn't come on the car from factory.

In practice, it's not going to happen unless something which you don't declare has a direct link to an accident, such as if you end up killing someone after a non-OEM alloy disintegrates as you're driving along.

How much roughly could they add on to the premium if declared?

Do i just ring them up and say that they are on the car or do i need a report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

gavshee wrote: »
    How much roughly could they add on to the premium if declared?

Do i just ring them up and say that they are on the car or do i need a report?

I declared aftermarket alloys on my car that were 1 inch bigger than oem, didn’t make any different to my premium

• Advertisement

Ciano35 wrote: »
    I declared aftermarket alloys on my car that were 1 inch bigger than oem, didn’t make any different to my premium

Did you need a report from your mechanic? Thanks for the reply btw

Did you need a report from your mechanic? Thanks for the reply btw

Nope they just sent out a form that stated "My name is Ciano35 and I declare that I have 15" alloys on my car." I had to sign that and return it.

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Nope they just sent out a form that stated "My name is Ciano35 and I declare that I have 15" alloys on my car." I had to sign that and return it.

Can I ask who your insurer is?

Can I ask who your insurer is?

Axa

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's all relative.

On a cheap car an upmarket set of wheels and tyres might be worth 50%+ of the value.

Imagine if you came back to that car one day and the wheels were removed and it was left on blocks? You'd have a real problem trying to make a theft claim.

p.s. As always if in doubt disclose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement