Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop

Options
  • 19-01-2018 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My PC was recently updated from which I mainly use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

It has been a lot more sluggish than the last PC and I'm wondering if the spec is correct on it. It seems to be a beefy enough setup but I'm not an expert on these things. I'm thinking its down to the graphics card but again not sure

Below are the specs from the computer, I'm not sure how to check what the graphics card is like:

HP ProDesk 400 G4 vMT Business PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 Ghz
    Installed Memory (RAM)L 32.0 GB (31.9GB usable)
    System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

All that said, there could be some bugs with illustrator, but it seems unlikely

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are you using a SSD?
    Are you using filters and effects much.

https://photographylife.com/the-ultimate-pc-build-for-photography-needs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Are you using the latest version of illustrator cc?
    Go to preferences / performance and see if gpu performance is enabled.
    (You need a graphics card with at least 1gb vram, it'll tell you what you have)

Do you have a font management tool?
    A corrupt font can have a considerable impact on performance in these programmes.

Photoshop / preferences / performance - set memory usage to about 8gb (or the lower end of the 'ideal' range that it suggests). It can be a massive resource hog if you let it.

Scratch disk: have you a separate drive you can use for scratch (I'd recommend ssd for system and scratch and a large hd for files)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

minikin wrote: »
    Are you using the latest version of illustrator cc?
    Go to preferences / performance and see if gpu performance is enabled.
    (You need a graphics card with at least 1gb vram, it'll tell you what you have)

Do you have a font management tool?
    A corrupt font can have a considerable impact on performance in these programmes.

Photoshop / preferences / performance - set memory usage to about 8gb (or the lower end of the 'ideal' range that it suggests). It can be a massive resource hog if you let it.

Scratch disk: have you a separate drive you can use for scratch (I'd recommend ssd for system and scratch and a large hd for files)

Great info, I'll look at these points on Monday when I'm back in work.

I mainly use it for vector work, any heavy vector work will clog the machine and crash it. Really shouldn't be happening imo.

Should I get an external ssd for the scratch disk? I really don't know how I go about this but I'll look it up.

Off topic - but are you the same minikin that posted on Creative Ireland website? What has happened to that site? It's like a ghost town!

You can use a SSD for the system and scratch. Can be the same SSD. Use a regular hard drive external or internal for file storage.

Creative Ireland or indeed the creative forums on boards are both a ghost town. Not sure why that is. Are there any creative forums with a bit of life that you know of?

Maybe you have a faulty component maybe one of your ram chips is bad.

Shouldn't really crash. Can you recreate the crash at will.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    You can use a SSD for the system and scratch. Can be the same SSD. Use a regular hard drive external or internal for file storage.

Creative Ireland or indeed the creative forums on boards are both a ghost town. Not sure why that is. Are there any creative forums with a bit of life that you know of?

Don't know of any kind of online community for design any more. Maybe the people coming up the ranks are not using forums any more? Maybe people are busier?

It's a real shame, 10 years ago CI was a great Irish design community

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe you have a faulty component maybe one of your ram chips is bad.

Shouldn't really crash. Can you recreate the crash at will.

Yes I'm able to identify what will crash as I open it. A lot of lag

Hi guys,

I'm dragging this thread up again.

I will be looking to get another computer to run Photoshop and Illustrator. It will probably be a second hand PC, so I'm looking to find out the minimum spec I should be looking at to run both smoothly.

Any advice appreciated

Advertisement