Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Offenders TV series (BBC3 / RTE)

Options
  • 19-01-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The first episode of the Young Offenders TV series will be available on the BBC iPlayer from 10am on February 1st and will be making its way to RTE shortly afterwards.

Alex Murphy and Chris Walley who starred in the film (which is on Netflix if you missed it) will reprise their roles.
    ‘The Young Offenders’ TV series will follow the coming of age adventures of loveable rogues Conor and Jock (Alex Murphy and Chris Walley, reprising their roles from the feature film) as they navigate their awkward teenage years, hatching plans and adventures to help distract from their tough home lives and their inability to stay out of trouble at school.

The comedy series will expand on the characters already seen in the film as viewers watch the lads encountering love, loss, peer pressure, and morality, with each episode set in the city the producers want to celebrate with these memorable characters. ‘The Young Offenders’ is foremost a comedy and will be jam-packed with laughter, but it will also be tender with a lot of heart.

Really enjoyed the film and hoping it will work well in more bite-sized chunks. Was filmed in Cork; did anyone pop down?

🤪

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

The film was great, will give the tv series a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,240 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It starts Thursday February 8th at 9.30pm on RTE 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭brian_t

The thread title says BBC3 but it starts on BBC1 the next day (Friday at 11.25pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Just watched the first episode ... fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Assumed they just for some reason decided to split a 90 minute movie into a few 22 minute episodes.

Didn't realise it was a new show at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

john9876 wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode ... fantastic.

Yeah, it was class. Definitely the same formula that made the film great - the cast are what makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Would prefer to see a proper Love/Hate or Love/Hate type gangland drama than a comedy/lite version.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Would prefer to see a proper Love/Hate or Love/Hate type gangland drama than a comedy/lite version.

What are you actually on about? The Young Offenders has nothing to do with Love/Hate - it's not trying to be a comedy version of Love/Hate, none of the same people are involved, it's another thing entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't seen any of it, but a work colleague says its basically the film split into programmes.

Surely its a different story?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,245 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kind of like going into a thread about Brooklyn 99 and complaining that it's not like The Wire.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Haven't seen any of it, but a work colleague says its basically the film split into programmes.

Surely its a different story?

Same characters from the film (except PJ is principal now), like the film's
    drug
    plot didn't exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

brilliant

Didn't see the film so will have to look for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

First half of the first episode was very poor. Just an exact same rehash as the movie. Second half was a good bit better. Has potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

First half of the first episode was very poor. Just an exact same rehash as the movie. Second half was a good bit better. Has potential.

Are you sure you were watching the same programme aa everyone else?

Maybe you just suffer from "its Irish, it must be sh1te" syndrome.

I reckon this has potential to be up with Fr Ted as an all time classic.

What are you actually on about? The Young Offenders has nothing to do with Love/Hate - it's not trying to be a comedy version of Love/Hate, none of the same people are involved, it's another thing entirely.

I suppose Billy and Conor could be a mix of Nidge with Jock as Fran :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This is brilliant can we hope RTÉ are at last finding a clue?

Great tv. Genuinely funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I really enjoyed it, laughed myself silly. Translated really well from film to tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I enjoyed the film but thought this episode was dreadful, my GF loved it though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I enjoyed it except for the adopted bit... Felt it was dated and obvious and stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭unhappyBB

siblers wrote: »
    I enjoyed the film but thought this episode was dreadful, my GF loved it though

Agreed. Loved the film but this was just 30 cringe inducing minutes of Conor professing his bro-love for Jock. Hope the next episode is better.
    Was cool seeing the city from the top of the Eir building at the start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Really enjoyed it, found it funny and will definitely be watching next week again

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

Really enjoyed it. I watched the movie twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Missed it last night-is the first episode repeated anywhere on RTE ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,245 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Muahahaha wrote: »

Sunday night at 10:35 by the looks of it (rte 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nice one, thanks Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Muahahaha wrote: »

It's on RTE Player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

david75 wrote: »
    This is brilliant can we hope RTare at last finding a clue?

Great tv. Genuinely funny.

I was reading recently that RTE have very little to do with it apart from putting their name to it. Much like Mrs Brown, its a BBC production.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Got a lot of echoes of the film in the first episode. It gave me some real feelings of deja vu. Having said that, there are probably lots of people who have never seen the film, so this is all brand new to them.

Overall, great potential and delighted to see it picked up for a second season already. Great to see all the Cork landmarks (and non-landmarks) on TV, and loved that very last sequence on Carey's Lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Are you sure you were watching the same programme aa everyone else?

Maybe you just suffer from "its Irish, it must be sh1te" syndrome.

I reckon this has potential to be up with Fr Ted as an all time classic.
    To be fair, I can see where weldoninhio is coming from with that observation. The show seems to be a soft reboot rather than a follow on from the movie (given that the wrap of from the film seems to be ignored; I guess it could be a prequel either, but I doubt it), reintroducing the characters, etc. so as not to alienate people who haven't seen the film. However it did feel a bit too familiar/rehashy having watched the film. Bit of a no-win situation IMHO, either you bore those returning to the characters, or alienate the new ones.

Dudara sums the same up pretty well:
    dudara wrote: »
    Got a lot of echoes of the film in the first episode. It gave me some real feelings of deja vu. Having said that, there are probably lots of people who have never seen the film, so this is all brand new to them.

Overall, great potential and delighted to see it picked up for a second season already. Great to see all the Cork landmarks (and non-landmarks) on TV, and loved that very last sequence on Carey's Lane.

Advertisement