Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Offenders TV series (BBC3 / RTE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

mightyreds wrote: »
    Just caught the last episode and thought it was fantastic, so many funny laugh out loud moments and the after all sing along was class.

Would love a full series of Billy getting himself into absolutely ridiculous situations through sheer stupidity

I think the next season will start with a beardy Billy living out in the wilds, eating rabbits, still hiding from the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭brian_t

Yester wrote: »
    I think the next season will start with a beardy Billy living out in the wilds, eating rabbits, still hiding from the law.

Billy has no reason to hide from the law.

Once he managed to walk away from the bus unseen by the Gardai then the Garda have no reason to believe he was involved with the high-jacking.

That's my understanding of how the episode ended.

(The longer the episode went on the more I was hoping that Billy would have a way out.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It’s some wonderful writing if it can make you fear billy and his intentions then within minutes have you on his side and supporting him.

I loved this series. 3&4 particularly. Can’t wait for the second season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Nearly fell off the couch laughing at 'and a bottle of milk, leading us to believe that there MAY be an infant on board the bus' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

david75 wrote: »
    It’s some wonderful writing if it can make you fear billy and his intentions then within minutes have you on his side and supporting him.

I loved this series. 3&4 particularly. Can’t wait for the second season :)

And particularly wonderful acting by the actor who played Billy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

acequion wrote: »

I think we’re safe to place young offenders among the greats of Irish cinema. It is as funny and heartwarming as any of the commitments the Van the snapper. But for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is the bus one the last episode? Crap, I somehow managed to watch that one first - I blame BBC player. I've subsequently got up to episode 4 (but obviously missed ep 1 - so she's not preggers while on the bike trip?!?!). It's very good. Maybe I'm getting a bit soppy in my old age but the underlying themes really stand out more than the comedy. It's quite endearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I’m only catching up, but episode 2 was definitely the low point by far.

I’m up to the last episode but 3-5 were light years ahead of that dross. Interesting 2 that the terrible actress who plays the girls’ Mam was reduced to a non speaking role after the car crash that was episode 2.

Still not at the level of the film but a massive improvement.

Looking forward to watching the finale!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

The singing part on the bus was absolutely cringe worthy, but really enjoyed the whole series, except for the singing part.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mackeire wrote: »
    The singing part on the bus was absolutely cringe worthy, but really enjoyed the whole series, except for the singing part.

It wasn't just any singing though, it was "The Frank and Walters".

It's pure Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ahh it was the finale...never seen a Mel Brooks film then...:P

Cant wait for the next series..hope they give PJ more lines....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Ahh it was the finale...never seen a Mel Brooks film then...:P

Cant wait for the next series..hope they give PJ more lines....:)

PJ's expressions are fantastic,I loved when his daughter was imitating his look...also loved when he was trying to block the boys from coming into the house and they just shouldered their way in as if unaware of the fact that he didn't want them in..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Nearly fell off the couch laughing at 'and a bottle of milk, leading us to believe that there MAY be an infant on board the bus' :D

All that was missing was Paschal doing that report...........

I actually thought the "With or without you" at the graveyard was cringe. That didn't work at all for me,maybe I need to watch it again. That's my only complaint though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I actually thought the "With or without you" at the graveyard was cringe. That didn't work at all for me,maybe I need to watch it again. That's my only complaint though.

The singing bits remind me of Japanese movies where the cast of a horror for example suddenly go full musical

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He was great. I wonder did they write that episode around him.

Is the movie good? Do people recommend it? It's on netflix and we're thinking of watching it after the dinner. A nice way to spend the eve of a bank holiday.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is the movie good? Do people recommend it? It's on netflix and we're thinking of watching it after the dinner. A nice way to spend the eve of a bank holiday.:D

It's a very watchable film. Funny in quite a few parts, just don't expect a Hollywood blockbuster and ye will enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The film isn't bad, but I actually thought the series was better. It's still watchable though.

Watching it again on the repeat and it's even funnier..Billy's phone calls are hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Colser wrote: »
    Watching it again on the repeat and it's even funnier..Billy's phone calls are hilarious.

It’s so funny.... my kids are devastated o won’t let them watch it... too many inappropriate bits even fir me.
    I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Frank and Walters....classic scene. Every. ****ing. Time.

"I've a return ticket thank you very much" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

"They're heading towards the Cork - Waterford border. Looks like this hijacker is running out of road."

I rarely find a reason to genuinely laugh out loud watching the telly but this series had at least one each episode. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Radio5 wrote: »
    All that was missing was Paschal doing that report...........

Or Paul Byrne

Maybe next season we get a Neil Prendeville cameo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Was trying to think where I knew the Mam from. Looked her up and found Billy in it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Colser wrote: »

I especially loved him covering his face...brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I especially loved him covering his face...brilliant

Was this a throwback to eh, a certain more serious criminal?

cahill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Just watched the finale.

Ah it’s just brilliant. I laughed and cried. Will have to rewatch the entire season again
    It has such amazing sweet moments... like I was actually teary when billy was trying to tie his shoelaces.
    Delighted for them all that it’s been so successful and cannot wait for season 2

Advertisement