Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Offenders TV series (BBC3 / RTE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some of the scenes are absolute cringe, certainly up there with Mrs brown boys comedy. Looks like they're already running out of material. Then some of it is really good and keeps you watching. Certainly has lots of potential but the writing needs to be drastically improved.
    I'd have the film well ahead of the TV show.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Some of the scenes are absolute cringe, certainly up there with Mrs brown boys comedy. Looks like they're already running out of material. Then some of it is really good and keeps you watching. Certainly has lots of potential but the writing needs to be drastically improved.
    I'd have the film well ahead of the TV show.

At last someone who agrees with me! I thought it was really poor in places to be honest. If it was Dublin accents and Brendan O'Carroll was in it people would be slating it but it is based in 'Cork buoy' so it's 'daycent'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Ah I think it's a better quality than Mrs Brown's Boys. But heck that is a huge success so maybe they intentionally aimed at that.

The film was far better in most respects, but I did enjoy the majority of the series! Thankfully the second episode was a major once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Young offenders has absolutely nothing in common with Mrs brown

Young offenders has absolutely nothing in common with Mrs brown

Lowest common denominator Irish humour? I think this, Bridget and Eamon, and Mrs Browns' Boys have a lot in common.

Don't get me wrong, I can stomach this, whereas the other 2 I can't stand, but it's not exactly massively different. The snot jokes for a start. The silly singing. The ultra cheese.

It's not Mrs Browns boys but it's a long way from Father Ted, or Inbetweeners, or even things like Hardy Bucks at its best or Savage Eye at its peak.

It's grand like :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Lowest common denominator Irish humour? I think this, Bridget and Eamon, and Mrs Browns' Boys have a lot in common.

Don't get me wrong, I can stomach this, whereas the other 2 I can't stand, but it's not exactly massively different. The snot jokes for a start. The silly singing. The ultra cheese.

It's not Mrs Browns boys but it's a long way from Father Ted, or Inbetweeners, or even things like Hardy Bucks at its best or Savage Eye at its peak.

It's grand like :pac:

I wouldn't classify either the Hardy Bucks or The Inbetweeners having an emotional element tbh. Young Offenders is far from lowest common denominator. Occasional yuck moments doesn't lower it to that.

There's incredibly emotional scenes and as a person from Cork, I can recognise people who aren't that distant from the two lads. They had a pretty challenging background, have done morally questionable things but aren't actually bad people. Just victims of circumstance and treated as less than as a result, that shaped their lives.

So yep, I don't think it's bad comedy or like Browns' Boys. It's complex with plenty of comedy but also with moments that are incredibly emotional. Ridiculous mixed but powerful at the most unexpected times. That's great TV imho.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    I wouldn't classify either the Hardy Bucks or The Inbetweeners having an emotional element tbh. Young Offenders is far from lowest common denominator. Occasional yuck moments doesn't lower it to that.

There's incredibly emotional scenes and as a person from Cork, I can recognise people who aren't that distant from the two lads. They had a pretty challenging background, have done morally questionable things but aren't actually bad people. Just victims of circumstance and treated as less than as a result, that shaped their lives.

So yep, I don't think it's bad comedy or like Browns' Boys. It's complex with plenty of comedy but also with moments that are incredibly emotional. Ridiculous mixed but powerful at the most unexpected times. That's great TV imho.

I agree it hits the emotion a lot better than some of those. But fans of Mrs Brown's Boys could argue that has heartfelt emotional moments too I'm sure.

I'd be a fan of Inbetweeners and felt that much better too at some of the emotional stuff.

Overall I enjoyed it, but people getting all high and mighty and being insulted by comparisons with Mrs Browns' Boys need to get a reality check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

JKerova1 wrote: »
    At last someone who agrees with me! I thought it was really poor in places to be honest. If it was Dublin accents and Brendan O'Carroll was in it people would be slating it but it is based in 'Cork buoy' so it's 'daycent'.

A lot more good than bad but some of the jokes just weren't funny and some of the acting was just terrible, dare I say it mainly the Dublin actors. I think if it's to be a success they need to get a small team of writers working on it instead of relying on the current writer who I assume is Peter Fott who probably gets a bit of help from Hilary Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Putting Mrs Browns boys in the same thread is an insult to TYO...MBB is just that sh1t humour that seems to appeal to the Brits, horrible Benny Hill Are you being served, Chubby Brown muck...just awful "comedy"...

I havent liked ANY irish comedy since Father Ted....but this is special...imo..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Was this a throwback to eh, a certain more serious criminal?

cahill

I thought the same.

I also thought that ‘why’d have a Garda’s number on your phone’ was a nod to Love/Hate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It wasn't just any singing though, it was "The Frank and Walters".

It's pure Cork.

And it's now enjoying a new lease of life in the charts/dowwnloads, great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And it's now enjoying a new lease of life in the charts/dowwnloads, great to hear.

Though its a shame the band won't make any money from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Though its a shame the band won't make any money from it.

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

fin12 wrote: »
    Why?

Artists get no money from Spotify. Even with tens of millions of plays the return is minuscule.

david75 wrote: »
    Artists get no money from Spotify. Even with tens of millions of plays the return is minuscule.

What about iTunes when people buy songs?

fin12 wrote: »
    What about iTunes when people buy songs?

iTunes is only slightly better but you’d need tens of millions of downloads to even hear from them.

This is why Spotify robs artists. You pay your 29€ a month for unlimited music but the artist never ever sees any of it. iTunes are only marginally better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He could play Keano in a biopic

well he already played his dad in this short film :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=208&v=0qZEGDsVj1U

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

i would say that this and mrs browns boys are poles apart.

Young offenders is well written and has well developed characters that you actually care about. Yes there are some slap stick or gross out things but not a huge amount. Just cus things are silly doesnt mean theyre not well written. Take monthy python for example.

MBBs on the other hand is all oooh i say wink wink double inyourendo say something about gays, pause for laugh type bull shiit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

iTunes is only slightly better but you’d need tens of millions of downloads to even hear from them.

This is why Spotify robs artists. You pay your 29€ a month for unlimited music but the artist never ever sees any of it. iTunes are only marginally better.

€29?

€29?

Sorry I don’t know what they charge is it annually?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sorry I don’t know what they charge is it annually?
    It's €7.99 per month for basic 1 user, €10.99 for HD and 2 users, then €13.99 for UHD and 4 users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Great series and am really impressed with how they transitioned from the film as that can be difficult to do.

Turning 90 mins of a story into a series whereby you build characters outside of the main 2/3 always causes problems with TYO did it quite well.

The 2 lads are superb and have big careers ahead of them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

byte wrote: »
    It's €7.99 per month for basic 1 user, €10.99 for HD and 2 users, then €13.99 for UHD and 4 users.

UHD music! I like the sound of that!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ah right. Cool. Thanks. So you can see with that unlimited access to infinite artists, how it is impossible for any artist to make money off it. Think jay z and Radiohead both came out against Spotify for this exact reason. I don’t follow this stuff but it was something like that.

Back to the point, the frank and Walters boys will certainly get nothing from it apart from coverage. They said as much on their twitter after it aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Whatever you think about downloads from iTunes or streams for Spotify translating to money for the artist being listened to, the fact remains that when you listen to a band, and you like the music, your interest in seeing them perform live is heightened, which in turn results in demand for concert tickets, so this is good for the artist in the long run.

Back on topic, I’ve enjoyed the Tv series, it’s pretty damn funny and it’s got a lot of heart behind it too, looking forward to more adventures in the future. :)

I love the frank n Walters song Miles and Miles.

• david75 wrote: »

Back to the point, the frank and Walters boys will certainly get nothing from it apart from coverage. They said as much on their twitter after it aired.

Did they infer that on their Twitter account or were they specific about getting nothing?

I would have though that the shows producers would have had to have sought permission to use the song, both in the scene and the credits. They would have had to sought permission on two counts. To use both the existing sound recording and the new recorded version.

Those negotiations would have been with the owners of the sound recording, most likely the record company (the publisher), not the band members, possibly via a copyright protection service.

It all depends what the song writers had agreed back in the day with the record company/publisher. Possibly no shared royalties for the use of the exiisting sound recording and only minimal credits for the song writers on the re-recording.

On another level, the musicians who played on the original sound recording may get some royalties down the line via organisations such as RAPP. But it's small beer.

But certainly the notion that the band would have made a packet out of the show would be misguided. But their profile will have been raised which they could benefit from by attendance at gigs and possibly releasing new songs if they do that themselves.

Loved the show. The best Irish comedy series since the Savage Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is that not Netflix pricing?

Did they infer that on their Twitter account or were they specific about getting nothing?

I would have though that the shows producers would have had to have sought permission to use the song, both in the scene and the credits. They would have had to sought permission on two counts. To use both the existing sound recording and the new recorded version.

Those negotiations would have been with the owners of the sound recording, most likely the record company (the publisher), not the band members, possibly via a copyright protection service.

It all depends what the song writers had agreed back in the day with the record company/publisher. Possibly no shared royalties for the use of the exiisting sound recording and only minimal credits for the song writers on the re-recording.

On another level, the musicians who played on the original sound recording may get some royalties down the line via organisations such as RAPP. But it's small beer.

But certainly the notion that the band would have made a packet out of the show would be misguided. But their profile will have been raised which they could benefit from by attendance at gigs and possibly releasing new songs if they do that themselves.

Loved the show. The best Irish comedy series since the Savage Eye.

Here tis

https://twitter.com/frankandws/status/975490728695619584?s=21

• Advertisement

• Yeah Spotify, like many streaming music providers pays 0.0001 of cent per play, or something similar. It's all about letting your music be heard, and little else.

I'd like to have thought the publishers of After All would have negotiated a nice royalty fee for the use of the original sound recording on the TV prog. And that the band writers would have picked up a share of that, but that's not always the case. It's depends on what percentage the band negotiated back in the day as part of the recording contract. Perhaps zip all. Great song it is too.

Advertisement