Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Offenders TV series (BBC3 / RTE)

Options

Comments

goose2005 wrote: »
    pretty poor, plot incoherent, but there were a few sparks of humour.

I agree. I think they could have simply based it around the girls getting presents and delivering them to the lads with their parents, throw Billy into the mix and you'd drag 30 mins out of it no problem imo.

Ridiculous long fits of coughing, the coin tossing was dragged out, the "acting" bit and looking at the camera was boring imo. It's a shame because it could have been so funny, they should base it on the main characters, no need to bring in anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Very poor show.Portrayed Cork in a bad light too.
    So many ideas could have been inspired by Christmas.....panto,charity collecting,live crib,nativity play......
    Was embarrassing to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

brian_t wrote: »
    In light of recent events, the mob attack on the car was a bit unfortunate.

No it wasn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I saw a man punching another man the other day. So I was deeply offended to see that same level of violence portrayed as a source of humour on the show with Billy.

Also coughing is no laughing matter.

Nor is stealing Christmas trees (in light of all the rural burglaries taking place)

It is also far too early to be mentioning snow after the year we just had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I enjoyed Mrs Brown but was very disappointed with that episode of the YO as I usually love them. The whole episode was car crash, just making it up as they went along type stuff,pity. But the whole evening's entertainment on RTE was dire. No Christmas film except feckin Love Actually at 10.30. Could they really not do better! :eek: I was spending the day with my elderly mum who has no channels or no broadband and I really found myself missing Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I agree. I think they could have simply based it around the girls getting presents and delivering them to the lads with their parents, throw Billy into the mix and you'd drag 30 mins out of it no problem imo.

Ridiculous long fits of coughing, the coin tossing was dragged out, the "acting" bit and looking at the camera was boring imo. It's a shame because it could have been so funny, they should base it on the main characters, no need to bring in anyone else.

Ya and they made no reference to the daughter being pregnant either, remember when she was on thebus in the last episode, she told Jock she was pregnant.

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya and they made no reference to the daughter being pregnant either, remember when she was on thebus in the last episode, she told Jock she was pregnant.

completely forgot about that! Bizarre that they could neglect that!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Was looking forward to seeing this however very disappointed, a few funny one liners but overall thumbs down from me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I just don’t understand why anyone would discharge themselves from hospital like that with such a serious illness.

I just don’t understand why anyone would discharge themselves from hospital like that with such a serious illness.

I actually didnt like the mother last night.. Too harsh or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I actually didnt like the mother last night.. Too harsh or something.

No I didn't either. Very aggressive altogether and she even even looked different and not just pretend sick different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

acequion wrote: »
    No I didn't either. Very aggressive altogether and she even even looked different and not just pretend sick different.

I think she’s pregnant in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I think she’s pregnant in real life.

Thats what my wife said to me watching it,she thought she looked pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sheehan is a terribly terribly over rated actor imo.

He was the best thing about "Misfits". Was absolute ****e in this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't know who was the first one to play an exaggerated version of themselves but when people like Larry David and Matt Leblanc do it excellently and of course there's all the guests in Extras, I wonder is this going to be the way for all guest star roles going forward? It's going to get pretty tired if it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As for the episode itself, I thought PJ Gallagher's family were just shoehorned in because they were in the original series. They had no interactions with the rest of the cast and added nothing to the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

it made so little sense, had they already filmed those scenes and then had to write in a reason for her to leave the hospital?

I have a feeling they initially had written this as a full hour episode yet had to edit it down? It was just all over the place

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was disappointed with it on the whole. The story was all over the place. PJ Gallagher and family, what was that about?? I thought there was going to be an hour long episode (with PJ Gallaher and Co's roles becoming clearer) but it ended rather abruptly in the end. I did enjoy the scenes with Billy though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭weadick

goose2005 wrote: »
    it made so little sense, had they already filmed those scenes and then had to write in a reason for her to leave the hospital?

The part when she had a fit was unintentionally hilarious, since when do people with pneumonia fit like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I despise Mrs Brown but it was funnier than YO

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rodders999

They seemed to be just throwing swear words at the script in the hope that it may rescue the storyline which was all over the place. Even the straight laced principal was “**** this, **** that, **** the other”.

They dialed the slap stick up to 11 and it was a poorer show for it. I absolutely loved the series up until now but this was an absolute car crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Try_harder wrote: »
    I despise Mrs Brown but it was funnier than YO

Did not watch either Young Offenders Christmas Special or Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special. Mrs Brown's Boys is among the worst TV I have the misfortune to see last Christmas and other Christmases. I gave the YO a miss for the same reason: these Christmas specials of Irish comedy series tend to be brutal. Worse than Mrs Brown? That sounds scary! What next? Alison Spittle's Christmas Special?!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Pure obvious billy was going to be at the end with the snow machine-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think I would have preferred if Mairead stayed in hospital and Billy did the snowing outside that

I think the show was going for heart and soul, Christmas community warmth etc., instead of laughs in this special and it fell flat as after a good series and dare I say epic series 1 finale, high expectations were had all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The end was woeful but on the whole it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

As for the episode itself, I thought PJ Gallagher's family were just shoehorned in because they were in the original series. They had no interactions with the rest of the cast and added nothing to the script.

I'd say they were lost in the editing down to 30mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭brian_t

Filming for series 2 has started.

D8xTIVrXkAASZ7e.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The two leads must be well into their 20's by now. How much longer can they go on playing secondary school pupils, or is that part of the joke?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Seems like yet another RTE series overstaying its welcome.

Advertisement