Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Offenders TV series (BBC3 / RTE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I find the mother actress attractive I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Why are Irish comedies always trying to make unlikable characters funny? First, the odious foulmouthed Agnes Brown and now these 2 brats Conor and Jock. I would not like to meet with or deal with any of these obnoxious characters in real life and do not find them funny on TV. The young Offenders would work best as a Love/Hate or Breaking Bad style drama but it is not comedy.

You're in the minority with this opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Azatadine wrote: »

The one who played the new teacher in the latest episode was a ride

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

She's the best actor in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Get off the Internet, Hilary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

that bit where the guys p1ssed all over the principal was gross out and not in a funny way

one of those scenes which should have been left on the cutting room floor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    that bit where the guys p1ssed all over the principal was gross out and not in a funny way

one of those scenes which should have been left on the cutting room floor

And the kissing scene, why does she always have to have saliva all over her face every time she kisses. It’s rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

pah wrote: »
    You're in the minority with this opinion.

May be but I don't particularly find brats who would be the types who would slash one's tyres and pick one's pockets particularly funny. In the age of the murder of Ana Kriegel, we ALL know what REAL Young Offenders are well and truly capable of. The Young Offenders is in general well made and well acted (which sets it apart from the amateur and proud of it Mrs Brown's Boys) but it would be better as a straight up drama. Trivialising and making funny young brats is a bad message to send out and I think such topics are better done in serious dramas like Love/Hate or Breaking Bad. Other more innocent topics are best suited to comedy (such as done in Keeping Up Appearances, One Foot In The Grave, Fr Ted or Pat Shortt's series).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

May be but I don't particularly find brats who would be the types who would slash one's tyres and pick one's pockets particularly funny. In the age of the murder of Ana Kriegel, we ALL know what REAL Young Offenders are well and truly capable of. The Young Offenders is in general well made and well acted (which sets it apart from the amateur and proud of it Mrs Brown's Boys) but it would be better as a straight up drama. Trivialising and making funny young brats is a bad message to send out and I think such topics are better done in serious dramas like Love/Hate or Breaking Bad. Other more innocent topics are best suited to comedy (such as done in Keeping Up Appearances, One Foot In The Grave, Fr Ted or Pat Shortt's series).

Are you for real here? The lads who murdered Ana Kriegel were nerdy lads from a well-to-do area who were into video games. You’re entitled not to like the show but don’t do the whole “Would someone please think of the children?” routine. It’s a perfectly valid topic for a show like this, junkie and scumbag humour is like a benchmark of Irish stand-up comedy.

Is the actress who plays the daughter of the principal a Traveller?

Has anyone ever looked more like a traveller girl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

No.

Yes. A traveller girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

OmegaGene wrote: »
    But it’s not a serious drama it’s slapstick comedy for a modern younger generation, tbe comedies you mention are old very old fashioned and dated that haven’t stood the test of time very well at all, they just aren’t funny anymore.
    Young offenders Might not be the best thing on tv but it has its funny moments and the best thing about tv these days is there’s something for everyone and if you don’t like it you have plenty of options.

R u serious? Fr Ted, keeping up appearances have definitely stood the test of time. I doubt very much people will be talking about the young offenders in 20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

She deff has a case of resting bitch face ha. Apparently she is a very nice person in real life

Was that story actually true about the dog in the painting ??.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

This thread is really something.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is coming back for a 3rd series

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It is coming back for a 3rd series

Already filmed, they did series 2 & 3 back to back this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I enjoyed this show but when they pissed on someone it just stopped being funny there and then.

I enjoyed this show but when they pissed on someone it just stopped being funny there and then.

Yes, it's not a tarantino flick about sadistic scumbags

It's a comedy about sweet natured, dim witted Cork skangers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

But you had no problem in season one where Conor and Linda were spitting? And covering each other in saliva?

Gross out humour is part and parcel of the show, not really sure why that scene has come as such a shock to you

sweet natured?:confused:

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    But you had no problem in season one where Conor and Linda were spitting? And covering each other in saliva?

Gross out humour is part and parcel of the show, not really sure why that scene has come as such a shock to you

I have no recollection of people spitting at each other. I haven't seen all the episodes so maybe I missed that.

It depends on the context of that - what was the scene about?

I just think the two lads lost their likability. If that is a word. :p

Also where are you getting the idea I was in shock?

Is there a Christmas special this year, happy to hear it’s coming back for a 3rd season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

PTH2009 wrote: »
    She deff has a case of resting bitch face ha. Apparently she is a very nice person in real life

Was that story actually true about the dog in the painting ??.

Apparently the story about the dog is true.

Ignore my previous response. I misunderstood your meaning.:o

Yes they are supposed to sweet natured idiots. That scene was just horrible.

sweet natured?:confused:

I meant up to that scene, i attacked the writers for that a few pages back.

Up to that, there was nothing nasty about the two harmless eejits

Ignore my previous response. I misunderstood your meaning.:o

Yes they are supposed to sweet natured idiots. That scene was just horrible.

No bother.

It was terrible writing

siblers wrote: »

I don't remember that scene either but It does not sound comparable, the two guys completely humiliated the PJ Gallagher teacher in the most obscene way, vile

No bother.

It was terrible writing

No you phrased it properly, I just didn't read it properly;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't remember that scene either but It does not sound comparable, the two guys completely humiliated the PJ Gallagher teacher in the most obscene way, vile

They were trying to get expelled so I guess they needed extraordinary measures but the whole scene was rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

The last couple of episodes of this have been woeful. They've run out of ideas.

Advertisement