Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Offenders TV series (BBC3 / RTE)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just finished episode 2. It’s a very juvenile, unfunny comedy. I’d say you have to be between 12 to 18 to get it. The wrestling scene was about 5 minutes too long too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just finished episode 2. It’s a very juvenile, unfunny comedy. I’d say you have to be between 12 to 18 to get it. The wrestling scene was about 5 minutes too long too.

Of course it's juvenile. It's meant to be. It's literally a comedy about juveniles. So was The Inbetweeners.

Also not sure you have to be a teenager to "get it". It's not too disimiliar to my own school days and they were a fair while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'm nearing 40 and I find it laugh out loud funny.
    Great quality production in every sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Mid 30s here and it's the best Irish comedy in years.

Of course it's juvenile. It's meant to be. It's literally a comedy about juveniles. So was The Inbetweeners.

Also not sure you have to be a teenager to "get it". It's not too disimiliar to my own school days and they were a fair while ago.

The Inbeteeeners was actually funny though. This is dross. Just finished ep 3. God awful. It’s sad that the tv channel that gave us Only Fools, Open All Hours, The Office etc is reduced to showing this garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Just saw episode 2 and realized the principles house is only a 2 minute walk from me!

Its in Hawthorn Mews, Dublin Hill in case any Cork people are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Doge wrote: »
    Just saw episode 2 and realized the principles house is only a 2 minute walk from me!

Its in Hawthorn Mews, Dublin Hill in case any Cork people are interested.

I was watching with my dad and we were saying we thought they should have had the principle living in Montenotte. What area do the two lads live in then?

The Inbeteeeners was actually funny though. This is dross. Just finished ep 3. God awful. It’s sad that the tv channel that gave us Only Fools, Open All Hours, The Office etc is reduced to showing this garbage.

How strange that you've now wasted 3+ hours your time on this movie&show that you are hating.

How "edgy" of you to hate it and come here to tell us all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

fin12 wrote: »
    I was watching with my dad and we were saying we thought they should have had the principle living in Montenotte. What area do the two lads live in then?

Ballinderry park in Mayfield i think or one of the estates up that way.

How strange that you've now wasted 3+ hours your time on this movie&show that you are hating.

I thought the movie was decent. I’ve wasted just over an hour watching the series. Don’t understand how anyone finds the series funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I thought the movie was decent. I’ve wasted just over an hour watching the series. Don’t understand how anyone finds the series funny.

People find things amusing that you don't, if you can grasp such a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

And I don't understand how you found The Office funny. That's humour for you; a personal, unpredictable thing.

People find things amusing that you don't, if you can grasp such a concept.

Yes, but this is hardly niche comedy. It’s lowest common demoninator trash.

Yes, but this is hardly niche comedy. It’s lowest common demoninator trash in my opinion.

Fixed that for you. I don't like The Office US, Or Mrs Brown's Boy's, or Parks and Rec. Whereas I find this hilarious, I also love Impractical Jokers, The Thick of It, Extra's. Such is a sense of humour for you.

Yes, but this is hardly niche comedy. It’s lowest common demoninator trash.

It is the exact same as the movie which you have said you enjoyed.

I get what weldoninhio is saying because so far I’m not finding the series as funny as the movie. I’ve watched the movie loads of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It is the exact same as the movie which you have said you enjoyed.

It’s really not.

I get we all have different tastes, but people are getting awfully precious and protective of a show where the comedic “highlights” in episode 2 were an aul wan flashing a cop, and a girl having snot issues.

It’s really not.

I get we all have different tastes, but people are getting awfully precious and protective of a show where the comedic “highlights” in episode 2 were an aul wan flashing a cop, and a girl having snot issues.

I think it’s a case of “It’s semi-Irish and the Brits like it” so it has to be hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It’s really not.

and other people didn’t like it yet still posting about it. If you didn’t like it, it’s not hurting you or your personal life. Move on.

david75 wrote: »
    and other people didn’t like it yet still posting about it. If you didn’t like it, it’s not hurting you or your personal life. Move on.

People are making valid criticisms and being accused of being anti RTE.

Move on yourself there captain thread boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

People are making valid criticisms and being accused of being anti RTE.

Move on yourself there captain thread boss.

Thought you bowed out of the debate...

I think it’s a case of “It’s semi-Irish and the Brits like it” so it has to be hilarious.

And I think some people are seeing it as semi-irish and therefore they must slate it at every opportunity.

I recall father Ted getting the same treatment.

I don’t think anyone is being precious about anything. It’s a tv show some people find amusing, it’s not rocket science. It’s also better written than what some posters have reductively described it as, but humour is entirely subjective of course.

frag420 wrote: »
    Thought you bowed out of the debate...

I bowed out of the debate with you on why it got renewed..... thanks for the reminder though.

Such an angry thread for such a throwaway show...

I don’t think anyone is being precious about anything.

Really?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Think it's just a lot of anti-RTE begrudgery.
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    You'll always get some who don't like it, probably the type who find Mrs Brown Boys funny.
    david75 wrote: »
    The film was gas and if you didn’t think so well then fine.( But you might be dead inside. )
    frag420 wrote: »
    Its being renewed as its the funniest show on terrestrial TV currently bar none!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

jaysus lads, ffs

Is anyone going to go to the screening of the final episode? It’s on in the English Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yep, Hilary is decent.

The other one, jaysus, unwatchable. Just overacts and curses. Sounds more Limerick than Cork, and comes across as a much bigger "knacker" than the 2 lads the father has a huge issue with. Abysmal!

I'm no scorsese but I think that's what she's meant to be

I'm no scorsese but I think that's what she's meant to be

She’s meant to overact within an inch of her life, and get the accent wrong?! :pac:

Sure thing Martin.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    You'll always get some who don't like it, probably the type who find Mrs Brown Boys funny.

The comic timing and subtleties in this are very impressive.

Have to be honest, I'd put this in the same bracket as Mrs Browne. Predictable stereotype characters in situations that just write themselves and require little thought.

I just finished the 2nd episode.

The characters make no sense, everything is so obvious and the acting doesn't really help.

The mother of the scumbag can't see any wrong in him, wants him to grow up to be decent, fair enough, but then turns a blind eye to the snotty handshake with the teacher.

The Garda that hates the kid is in love with the mother ( :rolleyes: ).

The teacher's two daughters are involved with the two worst scummers in the school, and their mother encourages it.

I understand that you have to suspend belief a bit for TV shows and sitcoms to work. The Garda not being able to catch the lads whilst they get away with their bikes and he is flying over garden walls on his own, for example, or that seemingly every resident in their estate actively encourages them to be scummers.

The main characters themselves show no redeeming features and make it impossible to like them.

I find it really, really dreadful.

Will agree with others who say the teacher's wife is woeful and completely takes you out of the 'experience' of watching the show altogether. When they show her, they may aswell show the set and the boom operator and lighting rig. Nothing she's done has looked natural at all and is like a primary school play.

As an aside, I enjoyed the Inbetweeners, as I thought it was written relatively cleverly and, more importantly, the characters were consistent and made sense. I haven't seen Derry Girls. Truth be told I actually do find some of the Mrs Browne's skits funny, but so far Young Offenders hasn't raised a smile from me.

Then again, whilst I loved Father Ted, Only Fools, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. I hate the Big Bang Theory and The IT Crowd for example (both of which seem to be really loved) so, to each their own as they say.

I'll give Offenders another episode to give it a chance, and then call it a day if I still can't stand it. The film was good, though. Wonder is it the same writers? (I'm not sure?). Seems they're quite a bit away from each other in quality writing.

Advertisement