Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Offenders TV series (BBC3 / RTE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Loved tonight’s episode, great show.
    I’ll never eat a duck agsin !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Now eat some weetabix, wtf lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Kuva wrote: »
    Now eat some weetabix, wtf lol.

........... North

West. ............,, East

........... South

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Forget the comedy; even as a drama that worked really well

*sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Drama bits worked well but found the comedy to be poor, too much slapstick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Lisha wrote: »
    ........... North

West. ............,, East

........... South

ah yea, it's the line itself I meant, maybe it's a thing but I never heard it before...anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Definitely thinks it works better as a drama with some comic moments, rather than an out-an-out sitcom.

I've started to treat it as such and am enjoying it a lot more. The ending again this week was brilliant. Poor Jock, although it would be a pretty bang-on insight into the family backgrounds of perceived "scumbags".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Another cracker of an episode, hope they don't **** it up with the last two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m really loving this, agreed a little too much slap stick but god it’s so heartwarming

You say randy like it’s a bad thing! lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Really enjoying it so far, I didn't really know what to make of the film but I'm enjoying the series a lot more, it has at least one or two laugh out loud moments every week and as a drama it works fairly well too in kind of a strange way! Can see why someone wouldn't like it definitely but for 30 mins or so every Thursday night I have to say it hits the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Another cracker of an episode, hope they don't **** it up with the last two episodes.

Sorry to say this but I watched episode 5 and it was woeful. Not one decent comic moment and no drama to speak of. I enjoyed most of the previous episodes too. I really don't know how they are going to drag another series out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

To be fair 3&4 were brilliant. They had you laughing then crying in the space of a minute. 5 was a bit of a dip by comparison but I was told by a pal that worked on it that it closes out brilliant so let’s see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

have we met most of the characters from the movie now? Save for the original PJ Gallagher role?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am absolutely loving this!

It's been far more consistent than the decent Derry Girls.. which suffers from incredibly two-dimensional characters and became less funny as it went on IMO.

The writing and performances in this are incredible.. writing comedy with an emotional punch isn't easy but Peter Foott has absolutely nailed it but has been incredibly lucky with the cast he's assembled.

Glad to see it being successful.. it's well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

When is this show set?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Addle wrote: »
    When is this show set?

Now i'd imagine...:confused:

When i heard about this i thought "another programme glorifying scangers"....how wrong was I ...absolutely love it..probably wont win any awards tho, unless theres an appearance by Mrs.Brown..:rolleyes:

The setting and fashion seem a bit dated to me... and I thought the mothers car ref was 81, though I could just have read 01 wrong. So I thought it fit better in the 90s than a contemporary setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Addle wrote: »
    The setting and fashion seem a bit dated to me... and I thought the mothers car ref was 81, though I could just have read 01 wrong. So I thought it fit better in the 90s than a contemporary setting.

The car was 01.

fin12 wrote: »
    The car was 01.

And they have smart phones...
    Stupid of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Hadnt heard this tune in years before tonights episode.

It just struck me his original band was called the young offenders, does he have a link to the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Sorry to say this but I watched episode 5 and it was woeful. Not one decent comic moment and no drama to speak of. I enjoyed most of the previous episodes too. I really don't know how they are going to drag another series out of it.

Are you watching a different show?

Loved that episode.

Also, Turnip Fish!!!

Soundtrack in the show has been top notch.

Anyone going into the final episode premiere in the English Market on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I will not be using a hand dryer anymore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I will not be using a hand dryer anymore :p

I loved how it seemed like he wasn't acting that bit, like he genuinely thought ah that f***er.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I do like YO but it's not really an outright comedy. It's more like a dramedy with occasional comedic moments. It's genuinely heartwarming and touching.

It's an odd contrast at times as the show can go from slapstick to being quite dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,450 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

don't knw if this has been asked before but is the movie story separate to the series ??? esp the background stories

Pj Gallagher obv plays a different character in the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Roar wrote: »
    Are you watching a different show?

Loved that episode.

Also, Turnip Fish!!!

Soundtrack in the show has been top notch.

Anyone going into the final episode premiere in the English Market on Saturday?

No I'm not watching a different show and I just watched episode 6 and it was crap too. I actually have no idea how they got the go ahead for a second series. The dialogue is just so awkward and unfunny.

I'm from Cork so don't like saying it but Derry Girls totally wiped the floor with Young Offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Who came up with the idea of sh*t in the hand dryer. That’s pretty disguisting to think of something like that.

The film is a lot better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

No I'm not watching a different show and I just watched episode 6 and it was crap too. I actually have no idea how they got the go ahead for a second series. The dialogue is just so awkward and unfunny.

I'm from Cork so don't like saying it but Derry Girls totally wiped the floor with Young Offenders.

That's the joy of personal opinion, also from Cork, and believe that Derry Girls isn't even close to this in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭JKerova1

YO started slow but there was great potential shown in episodes 3 and 4 especially , however episode 5 was total rubbish and I actually found myself skipping parts of episode 6 as it was so boring and unfunny. It's starting to turn into a bit of a Bord Failte promo for Cork with all the cheesy Cork songs etc; some of it is nice but it evokes a bit of a small-town mentality.

I'm looking forward to the second series of Derry Girls but can't say the same for this sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I thought it started strong and was funny and entertaining except for episode 5. The Young Offenders series and movie strikes me as something that would appeal mainly to teenage boys stoned out of their heads.
    I only saw 1 episode of Derry Girls and that was enough for me but i'd sit down and watch either of these over Drear City any day of the week. :D

Advertisement