Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart thermostats for underfloor heating

Options
  • 19-01-2018 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭

Hi

Had done a lot of research and concluded Hive was my preference for new stats, with nest as alternative

Bought hive with installation but despite what it says on their website, Bord Gais have said they will not install it on a system with underfloor heating. One of my zones is wet underfloor.

Nest website also says it works with underfloor, but Electric Ireland also won't install it with underfloor.

This is more than a bit annoying particularly where the manufacturers say it'll work in both instances.

Has anyone any experience using these with underfloor? Could in theory buy them myself on line and pay someone to install, but would prefer to have the backing of large utility.

Also can you use Nest as just a standard programmable stat, as opposed to it learning, as I don't intend relying on its intelligence, I just want to be able to turn it on / off remotely. GPS functionality would not work with me, nor would movement alone for the particular zones.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

No thoughts? Could I maybe install hive on the water and rads and continue to run the underfloor separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

a148pro wrote: »
    No thoughts? Could I maybe install hive on the water and rads and continue to run the underfloor separately?

So, you have 3 zones

1) water
    2) upstairs which are standard rads ?
    3) downstairs which is underfloor

There must be a reason they won't install in underfloor, so I could really try and find this out, but in any case you need 2 x nest thermostats to cover the three zones above. So why not get 1 nest for zone 1 and 2, and then if your happy and your research still shows no reasons not to install zone 3, then do it yourself or get someone in to do it.

But contact nest support for zone 3 first just to suss it out.

Not sure if it's the same deal but I know electric Ireland would only subsidise one nest anyway, the second came at nearly full price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I was talking to Hive earlier today and they do support underfloor heating.

The BoardGais guys had to come back three times to get my standard (no underfloor) set up working!

Could you find a different installer?

Sorry, getting my hives and nests confused :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have heatmiser neo stats for underfloor zones, normal upstairs rad zone and hw. There is an up to 8 zone wiring centre for the underfloor that you can use with them.

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I was talking to Hive earlier today and they do support underfloor heating.

The BoardGais guys had to come back three times to get my standard (no underfloor) set up working!

Could you find a different installer?

Yes the hive guys based in scotland told me this too. But bord gais were computer says no. There's a question we have to ask (do you have underfloor) and if you say yes our engineers won't install. But Hive themselves say its fine? Computer says no.

Really annoying.

Thanks for suggestions. I would mix and match but I don't want any hassle - the whole point of hive and nest is convenience.

I did look at heatmiser but a - they're not as sexy as the other two and b - i've seen really bad reviews of their android app. I'm afraid some of the lads in the market aren't going to make it and then you may be left without support or app updates when they bow out. Hive and Nest have big companies behind them.

Any more suggestions appreciated. Thanks for the above.

So, you have 3 zones

1) water
    2) upstairs which are standard rads ?
    3) downstairs which is underfloor

There must be a reason they won't install in underfloor, so I could really try and find this out, but in any case you need 2 x nest thermostats to cover the three zones above. So why not get 1 nest for zone 1 and 2, and then if your happy and your research still shows no reasons not to install zone 3, then do it yourself or get someone in to do it.

I have one room underfloor downstairs, some rads downstairs, some upstairs and hot water. So 4 zones total.

If I knew I could run them with different smart thermostats or smart and conventional together then I would. The problem is I can't find anyone with the expertise or balls to say I can do that or stand over it. I suppose if they just work as normal stats into your time clock thing then they should work?

I'd probably only want to control upstairs with a smart state if I'd forgotten to turn heat off when on holidays.

I have one room underfloor downstairs, some rads downstairs, some upstairs and hot water. So 4 zones total.

If I knew I could run them with different smart thermostats or smart and conventional together then I would. The problem is I can't find anyone with the expertise or balls to say I can do that or stand over it. I suppose if they just work as normal stats into your time clock thing then they should work?

I'd probably only want to control upstairs with a smart state if I'd forgotten to turn heat off when on holidays.

Are each of those four zones you mention currently independently controlled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

copacetic wrote:
    I have heatmiser neo stats for underfloor zones, normal upstairs rad zone and hw. There is an up to 8 zone wiring centre for the underfloor that you can use with them.

+1 you don't need hive or nest if you just want to have remote access

Yes the hive guys based in scotland told me this too. But bord gais were computer says no. There's a question we have to ask (do you have underfloor) and if you say yes our engineers won't install. But Hive themselves say its fine? Computer says no.

Really annoying.

Thanks for suggestions. I would mix and match but I don't want any hassle - the whole point of hive and nest is convenience.

I did look at heatmiser but a - they're not as sexy as the other two and b - i've seen really bad reviews of their android app. I'm afraid some of the lads in the market aren't going to make it and then you may be left without support or app updates when they bow out. Hive and Nest have big companies behind them.

Any more suggestions appreciated. Thanks for the above.

It’s funny how people see things differently, I ruled out hive and nest for the heating as I felt they have the smart bit but not the actual heating knowledge. It was evohome or heatmiser for me all the way, heatmiser won out as lot of local knowledge of them and they blend in very well on walls.

iOS app recently got a big update, can’t comment on Android, only very occasional use the app myself, heating is all setup via the app, after that it looks after itself pretty much. Never had any issues.

• Advertisement

Are each of those four zones you mention currently independently controlled ?

Yes new system so they are all separate, the wires for thermostats are in but none installed.

Will probably go with heat miser - i'll need neo with I think 2 extra thermostats then? Its just expensive, don't have someone to install (even though I imagine its the exact same minus the wifi) and doesn't have the back up of hive, hive with extra zones supplied and fitted was like 450 or something.

Think i'll give these guys a ring tomorrow and take their advice

Am I right in thinking I'd need this plus one more stat? Or is one of those stats just for hot water?

https://www.warmth.ie/product/heatmiser-thermostat-neokit-2-white/

Am I aiming for neo or air? I have some kind of wires in, not sure if the wire is just for the signal back to the time clock, seems to be thick wire so I imagine its power also

Thanks for your help, mate recommended heatmiser to me at start but I got fear for the reasons above

Am I right in thinking I'd need this plus one more stat? Or is one of those stats just for hot water?

Am I aiming for neo or air? I have some kind of wires in, not sure if the wire is just for the signal back to the time clock, seems to be thick wire so I imagine its power also

Thanks for your help, mate recommended heatmiser to me at start but I got fear for the reasons above

That kit will do you one zone plus the hot water, and give you remote access but will need two more stats for your other zones I guess and you may need an interface to your underfloor heating, ufh8 seems like overkill but I’m not sure if there are smaller options.

Neostats should do you fine, air are battery powered. May need to check with who did your wiring as there are 12V versions, AC versions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 flipperdpriest

Hi -

Just wondering how this worked out or any other experiences of people with underfloor heating and smart controls?

I am in the same position and have had the same experience regarding the use of Hive with underfloor heating.

Advertisement