Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business venture - Information Security

Options
  • 19-01-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking about starting an Information Security consultancy company, with the division to develop software for a particular niche.

I have over 10 years industry experience and I would be really keen on this.

Does anyone know anything about seeking out funding? I could start by speaking with the Local Enterprise Board and taking it from there. I understand Enterprise Ireland have some funding supports available as well as the New Frontiers Entrepreneur Development Programme.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Do you have any demonstrable products? It usually helps when seeking funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

LLcoolJ27 wrote: »
    could start by speaking with the Local Enterprise Board and taking it from there. I understand Enterprise Ireland have some funding supports available as well as the New Frontiers Entrepreneur Development Programme.

Gonna be honest, anything technical can soar over the heads of the local boards. We tried for a while but our efforts were better spent getting clients and we're glad we did looking back. Personally, I'd work on the business first, land some contracts and get the ball rolling. Develop your MVP and get some cashflow. When you have an established base, you'll be in a better position to ask for funding or someone may invest in you. Its all well and good waiting around for funding, but you'll be burning effort and time looking for it.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but my experience was really poor at local levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭LLcoolJ27

Hi thanks, that's really solid advice. Have you set up your own business?

Hi thanks, that's really solid advice. Have you set up your own business?

Yes. I have a number of businesses in the IT field and I follow InfoSec myself (Although my businesses are not in the sector)

I'm curious what your product portfolio will be, physical security? Pentesting etc?

The company will not be a physical security company - it will focus on Information Security.

The product portfolio will include;
    - Penetration testing (For both infrastructure and web applications)
    - Security reviews/assessments
    - GDPR gap analysis
    - Development of policies and procedures
    - Vulnerability Management

• Advertisement

The company will not be a physical security company - it will focus on Information Security.

The product portfolio will include;
    - Penetration testing (For both infrastructure and web applications)
    - Security reviews/assessments
    - GDPR gap analysis
    - Development of policies and procedures
    - Vulnerability Management

Ah ok. I was thinking about a gap in the market for physical security in relation to InfoSec. A lot of offices I visit are wide open in terms of physically securing their information and by extension, their technical infrastructures. There are a number of firms here in the US that just do that and are quite successful.

That's interesting. I wonder if there would be a gap in the market in Ireland for this. Out of curiosity, which companies are these?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

ironclaw wrote: »
    Ah ok. I was thinking about a gap in the market for physical security in relation to InfoSec. A lot of offices I visit are wide open in terms of physically securing their information and by extension, their technical infrastructures. There are a number of firms here in the US that just do that and are quite successful.

I've always thought this. I have experience in both Access Control/Security and IT and always thought people invest plenty of money in information security and then the door to the server room is unlocked.

Advertisement