Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adolescence now lasts from 10 to 24

• 19-01-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42732442

Is this good, bad?

In my fathers generation you were expected to be in full time employment, mortgaged up with a wife and kids by age 24.

On the one hand I'd worry that this move could enable conditions like 'Peter Pan Syndrome'. It gives young people an excuse to shirk adult roles and responsibilities for longer.

On the other it does seem to be based in some scientific fact. As the brain is said not to fully mature until 25 in males and 23 in females.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Is this good, bad?

In my fathers generation you were expected to be in full time employment, mortgaged up with a wife and kids by age 24.

On the one hand I'd worry that this move could enable conditions like 'Peter Pan Syndrome'. It gives young people an excuse to shirk adult roles and responsibilities for longer.

On the other it does seem to be based in some scientific fact. As the brain is said not to fully mature until 25 in males and 23 in females.

Thank **** this is no longer the case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Changing the definition is vital to ensure laws stay appropriate, they write in an opinion piece

So in some scientists opinion, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So in some scientists opinion, basically.

And just as many others disagree with them.

Thread title needs changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Based on the responses of some posters on boards I'd say that conclusion is correct.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is this good, bad?

Indifferent really, as in it's neither a good thing nor a bad thing. It just is what it is, and it's something that has been recognised for a number of years now, particularly with drop out rates among young people going from second to third level education and how they simply aren't mature enough in many cases to be able to cope with the transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

"You're out the door at twenty four"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Indifferent really, as in it's neither a good thing nor a bad thing. It just is what it is, and it's something that has been recognised for a number of years now, particularly with drop out rates among young people going from second to third level education and how they simply aren't mature enough in many cases to be able to cope with the transition.

Schools have a role here. Secondary School Students are spoon fed in many cases.

They're not prepared properly for what's coming in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A 71 year old adolescent is squattin in the Whitehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

so bbc does some crap research report on and your in ?

id depends say Spain-greece you could be in your 30s still at home and its all grand there, diff countries have different looks to such situations some actually never leave homes get married etc settle with parents on semi d or spare room - since some value family connections more then any other crap in life.

its same like you see in US a lot my father was a cop so i became one as well < replace cop with any other profession.

but in Ireland it seems norm to get into debt until one will be way past expire date, work some ****ty job that they will hate for majority of every single day they live and get few weeks off to fck off to spain and drink until there's no cells left in ones head to go back and rinse and repeat.

I find its parents that hold back younger people to stick to what they believe is best to them thus naturally you get those that cant function without being told what to do, as they have no personal say or experience of learning themselves.

I'm didn't say I'm in. It's an opinion piece from the Lancet Child and Adolescent Health Journal which has been reported on worldwide.

I agree that the thread title is misleading, I nicked it from the BBC article.

• Advertisement

I agree that it's also a cultural thing. Like you mentioned Spaniards Greeks, Italians tend to live longer at home with their parents. It's not uncommon in these countries to be living at home in ones 30s.

I remember questioning an Italian on this once and he answered 'why would I want to live with strangers?' He was only going to move out once he could afford his own place. The parents encouraged it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

With life expectancy increasing and people living longer, it's to be expected that men and women - in the West at least (with the possible exception of America where many still marry and procreate very young) - are marrying and settling down later, usually in their 30s. 24 is too young IMO for most men to marry and have a family. I moved out of the family home at 24.

That said, the phenomenon of adults living with their parents until their mid 30s or even into their 40s (or even later...) is not really a good thing. People need to learn responsibility and independence in their 20s, and I think that school should teach courses like budgeting, cooking, interpersonal skills and critical thinking as these are very important for adult life.

Who would want to live with the mammy until you're 46? It's not that healthy for either parent or adult "child" and stunts maturity and life skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I was married with 2 kids at 24, I understand that's not the done thing and would be unusual nowadays. But I hate hearing people using their age as an excuse when they're in their 20s

For example the blogger called out by the white moose cafe guy. "I'm only 22 and I'm being bullied by people in their 30s". You're an adult, so are they, grow up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Men of 16 years took up guns to fight not too long ago, they were real men. Nowadays young generations are totally brainwashed by leftist propaganda and can barely function in society at all. I dread to think what the future holds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭sunrainmooncl

I agree that it's also a cultural thing. Like you mentioned Spaniards Greeks, Italians tend to live longer at home with their parents. It's not uncommon in these countries to be living at home in ones 30s.

I remember questioning an Italian on this once and he answered 'why would I want to live with strangers?' He was only going to move out once he could afford his own place. The parents encouraged it.

Isn't that encouraged here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

it's not the worst thing that people in their 20s now generally have a bit more latitude to enjoy themselves a bit and figure out what they want to do before settling down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Doltanian wrote: »
    Men of 16 years took up guns to fight not too long ago, they were real men. Nowadays young generations are totally brainwashed by leftist propaganda and can barely function in society at all. I dread to think what the future holds.

They were poor kids who had no idea what they were getting themselves into or they had no choice. And they got shredded by the millions.

Ye a real shame thats no longer happening. I'm sure it'd be great fun for you and the other real men around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Isn't this article just talking about common sense?
    I mean at 18 your not mature and mentally an adult. You don't cope on to yourself until your mid-twenties. As you then have some life experience behind you.

But we don't need scientists to say it or people under than age to be classef as adolescents. As once you are 18 you're an adult in the eyes of the law. Granted you're still naive and green. But still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I dunno man, I'd probably go for this modern edition of propaganda over the flavour that had said teens playing British Bulldog with a wall of machine guns in some waterlogged patch of turf being contested by a bunch of inbred aristocrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Others have replied as if you were being serious, I wasn't so sure, I thought I sensed irony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Imagine being able to **** at 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They were conscripted, its not like they wanted to die at 16 for a war they probably didn't care much about
    War is generally non sensical and definitely not any standard we should hold people to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I was in accident and emergency a couple of years back.
    A woman brought her son in, and did all the talking to reception.
    The son was about 22 or 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'd challenge some of this, in that I think people are both wiser, and dumber, in equal measure.

There's a noticable lack of empathy, genuinely, and I cannot explain why. It's even among 30 something year olds, sort of a perpetual immaturity. They even take dangerous risks, as in driving the day after a session (sunglasses on cos of a hangover) or driving into work, similarly hungover.
    I know someone who is 28/ 29 years old-and still does the 'my mother will have a word with them' when she has a grievance with someone. Her mother isn't some high profile individual, she's a cleaner. But that's the sort of language you hear from a child, not an adult. It's this sort of perpetual victimhood that's sickeningly everywhere. I've had incidents with people in their 20s, who tell you they're 'adults', but can't deal with someone if they have an issue with them-just something as small as 'turn down the radio' for example.

On the other hand, I see younger people who have empathy, who totally understand life's sh**ty moments. But they are rare. Mostly it's perpetual childishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Is this good, bad?

Snowflake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A 71 year old adolescent is squattin in the Whitehouse.

Sure I'm currently pushing out a steamer onto Melania's chest as I type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

diomed wrote: »

When I was 8 I had to go to hospital for an operation, I was landed in the door and they visited me once after I had the operation. Even though I had to be put in the men's ward as the children's ward was full I didn't take any notice of it. Imagine that happening today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

diomed wrote: »

Maybe the son wasn't able to speak. Maybe he had a serious throat infection...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gah. Why do we have to put a number on it? Leave it at 18, and if someone wants to continue acting like a teen beyond that, let them, that's when reality starts kicking in, and it's up to that individual to mature or not. And so what if they don't? As long as they're not part of the flower generation, and do a job, who cares what they do when they're not working? I'm a manchild of 34, had a mortgage and 'good' job, gave it all up so I could enjoy life rather than trying to become what society wrongly expects (marriage, kids, mortgage, boring). I've no intention of 'becoming an adult', because life is too short to be tied down with a mortgage, kids, etc. I still get child-like excited for something i'm interested in, i still get the sense of 'WOW' when experiencing new stuff, why the hell would I want to swap that for screaming kids, constant bills and hoping for some free time every now and again?

Screw that. I'm gonna keep doing what I want to do, and I'm harming no on else while doing it, so stick your preconceived notions of how I should adult.

• Advertisement
Advertisement