Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points and insurance

Options
  • 19-01-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

I have 3 points for speeding on my record, not only were the 3 points €80 euro enough of a punishment, but it seems this now also have a knock on effect on insurance costs.

I just ran an online quote with 0 points and then 3 points and the price resulted in +€133 loading after declaring the 3 points.

I was under the impression that having less than 5 points shouldn't affect your premium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ION08 wrote: »
    I have 3 points for speeding on my record, not only were the 3 points €80 euro enough of a punishment, but it seems this now also have a knock on effect on insurance costs.

I just ran an online quote with 0 points and then 3 points and the price resulted in +€133 loading after declaring the 3 points.

I was under the impression that having less than 5 points shouldn't affect your premium?

Perhaps you won't speed next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Seve OB wrote: »
    Perhaps you won't speed next time

This is why I never start threads..

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It depends on the insurer some don't mind 1 or 2 sets of points, some load for any points at all. All you can do is search the market and see who comes out cheapest for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

This is why I never start threads..

Yeah, i'm sure he feels great having gotten that smug comment off his chest :rolleyes:

Yeah, i'm sure he feels great having gotten that smug comment off his chest :rolleyes:

no different to be honest

if you can't do the time, don't do the crime

whinging about being punished when you have broken the law aint gonna get you far

i've had points before... just suck it up and learn your lesson, i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

whinging about being punished when you have broken the law aint gonna get you far

It’s Friday night dude. Would you not go the pub with your mates or take drugs or watch a film, anyway of chilling out?

I did "do the time" by virtue of amassing 3 penalty points which brings me a quarter of the way to being disqualified plus also having paid an €80 fine in the form a fixed charge penalty notice. See how that works??

..... all for going a couple of fecking insignificant km/h over a posted speed limit.

Is that not enough?

Should this now continue to haunt me resulting in a raised insurance premium for the next 3 years????

... Perhaps this punishment is still not enough until my wife leaves me for committing this heinous "crime"

Maybe I should also be banned from traveling to foreign countries too until my points are abolished :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most insurers give a 10% discount for no points so with 3 you lose that. In theory someone sensible who gets 2 or 3 points should afterwards drive more careful and be less likely to get points than someone with none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

'... Perhaps this punishment is still not enough until my wife leaves me for committing this heinous "crime"....'

Would you have a picture of the wife so we can judge if that would be further hardship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

The OP came on for some advice on this and you’re responses are quite frankly pathetic, they have paid the fine and got the points and have asked for some help on the matter, you have added no help and just petty responses, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

He got punished for braking the law, by our rightfully elected government in a form of 3 penalty points and €80 fine.

Insurance company is a private business, which has no business in penalizing OP for his crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

CiniO wrote: »
    Insurance company is a private business, which has no business in penalizing OP for his crimes.

It is risk assessment, as you well know, not a penalty. Many insurers give a discount for those with no points, those with just a few get the base rate, those with many rightly get charged more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It is risk assessment, as you well know, not a penalty. Many insurers give a discount for those with no points, those with just a few get the base rate, those with many rightly get charged more.

Risk assessment me ar$e.
    It's a just a simple way to extract more money from motorists by insurance cartel.

Surely suddenly OP has become seriously more dangerous driver now, and deserved to pay more for his insurance as he is of bigger risk. Makes sense, no?

No - it doesn't make sense... Not to me anyway.
    Insurers shouldn't be allowed to base premium (for third party cover) on anything, except from claim/accident history of a driver.
    If someone can prove that he car drive 10 years without claims/accident, then even if he has 11 penalty points and modified WRX STI car - his premium should still be low, based on fact that if he didn't cause accident in 10 years, very likely he won't cause in another 10 years.

Telling people that they suddenly become more dangerous on the road because f.e. they changed profession or gained more penalty points, or started driving different make, model, colour car is total bull$hit.

But you know my opinion already. I could talk for days about Irish car insurance system, insurance companies, etc.... Only bad things obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

CiniO wrote: »
    Risk assessment me ar$e.
    It's a just a simple way to extract more money from motorists by insurance cartel.

Surely suddenly OP has become seriously more dangerous driver now, and deserved to pay more for his insurance as he is of bigger risk. Makes sense, no?

No - it doesn't make sense... Not to me anyway.
    Insurers shouldn't be allowed to base premium (for third party cover) on anything, except from claim/accident history of a driver.
    If someone can prove that he car drive 10 years without claims/accident, then even if he has 11 penalty points and modified WRX STI car - his premium should still be low, based on fact that if he didn't cause accident in 10 years, very likely he won't cause in another 10 years.

Telling people that they suddenly become more dangerous on the road because f.e. they changed profession or gained more penalty points, or started driving different make, model, colour car is total bull$hit.

But you know my opinion already. I could talk for days about Irish car insurance system, insurance companies, etc.... Only bad things obviously.

If a person has 11 penalty points it means they have broken the law on several occasions. If they are speeding they are more likely to cause an accident. My insurance has gone up very little in the past number of years

CiniO wrote:

It is the system we have, I'm only explaining it here. It needs an overhaul in conjunction with the legal system and compensation levels. Insurers, in isolation, are not the sole cause of the mess but sure, go ahead have a rant about how everything is better elsewhere.

Someone with 11 points deserves to pay more than someone without any, in my opinion, as they present a higher risk

Someone with 11 points deserves to pay more than someone without any, in my opinion, as they present a higher risk

No, sorry, that’s bullcrap if you think about it logically.

The penalty point scale is exactly that; a scale for which the penalty is disqualification if you reach 12 points. Each individual allocation of points carries its own penalty in the form of a € fixed charged penalty notice which also brings you closer to disqualification.

What does it matter to a private insurance company. I have not crashed or more importantly never claimed in my driving history, my 3 points do not affect anything!!! I have Earned my No claims history and receiving penalty points does not change anything. I have already paid my dues in the form of the fine, insurance companies are just trying to further capitalise on this based on some warped logic that i have suddenly become a “higher risk” driver, which sheep like you buy into :rolleyes:

You want to know the funny thing??? The insurance quotation form doesn't even ask what actual offence the points were for, just the amount of points and when they were incurred :rolleyes: its all about €€€€€ and youd be deluding yourself thinking otherwise

No, sorry, that’s bullcrap if you think about it logically.......................................

its all about €€€€€ and youd be deluding yourself thinking otherwise

You're right, I'm convinced now

You're right, I'm convinced now

of course, sure why on earth could anyone who has gatherer points for such things speeding, breaking red lights, driving an unroadworthy car, parking dangerously, driving against the flow of traffic, using their mobile, driving up hard shoulders, overtaking dangerously, driving under the influence, not wearing seatbelts ete..etc..etc..

does the bloody insurance company not realise that these people never had a claim. how the hell could they be a higher risk!!!:eek:

logic ehhh ;)

Advertisement