Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy / irish name

Options
  • 19-01-2018 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.. long story short... i would like to get some ideas into my head...we are expecting second boy....anytime now... he is due tomorrow...

Our first is named Liam....

I really like Somhairlidh which is Samuel in irish...as wife wanna Samuel....but my younger brother is Samuel...it simply cant be..

My other choices would be Noah....Kierran or Killian.... or...

But i am sure more tips (genuine) would bring more ideas....

I would really welcome some irish nice name for a strong wee boy....

Second do you guys know any Somhairlidh in real life? I have never met one.... living here almost 15y.

Thank you

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Hi guys.. long story short... i would like to get some ideas into my head...we are expecting second boy....anytime now... he is due tomorrow...

Our first is named Liam....

I really like Somhairlidh which is Samuel in irish...as wife wanna Samuel....but my younger brother is Samuel...it simply cant be..

My other choices would be Noah....Kierran or Killian.... or...

But i am sure more tips (genuine) would bring more ideas....

I would really welcome some irish nice name for a strong wee boy....

Second do you guys know any Somhairlidh in real life? I have never met one.... living here almost 15y.

Thank you

Ed

If you want a truly Irish name there is no K in the Irish language . So it would be Cillian or Ciarán . Noah is a biblical name and not an Irish name as such

What about Cian . Fionn . Oisín . Oran . Dara .

On the Irish Central Statisics site online you can enter any name and any year and see how many baby were given that name that year
    I personally have never come across a Somhairlidh

Ps I just checked and the name you are thinking of is Somhairle

SOMHAIRLE. SOMHAIRLE, genitive — id. (the same), Sorley, (Samuel, Charles); Norse — Sumerlide, summer-sailor; a name of Norse origin; specially common among the MacDonnells, by whom it was anglicised Sorley; now disguised as Samuel and Charles. Latin — Somerledus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have never actually even seen that name. How are you pronouncing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Somhairlidh is a horrible name and the spelling is ridiculous. I've never heard of it either. I'd recommend Sam.

Kieran or Killian .. the irish spellings are Ciarán and Cillian. They're ok. Cillian is quite popular.

Noah is a nice name but it's Old Testament and not an Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's not a name that rolls easily off the tongue! :D

However, an Irish name with an 'S' I think worthy of consideration might be 'Seoirse' if you wanted to go that way:

Meaning & History

Irish form of GEORGE.

GEORGE   m   English, Romanian
    From the Greek name Γεωργιος (Georgios) which was derived from the Greek word γεωργος (georgos) meaning "farmer, earthworker", itself derived from the elements γη (ge) "earth" and εργον (ergon) "work". Saint George was a 3rd-century Roman soldier from Palestine who was martyred during the persecutions of emperor Diocletian. Later legends describe his defeat of a dragon, with which he was often depicted in medieval art.

Initially Saint George was primarily revered by Eastern Christians, but returning crusaders brought stories of him to Western Europe and he became the patron of England, Portugal, Catalonia and Aragon. The name was rarely used in England until the German-born George I came to the British throne in the 18th century. Five subsequent British kings have borne the name.

Other famous bearers include two kings of Greece, the composer George Frideric Handel (1685-1759), the first president of the United States, George Washington (1732-1797), and the Pacific explorer George Vancouver (1757-1798). This was also the pen name of authors George Eliot (1819-1880) and George Orwell (1903-1950), real names Mary Anne Evans and Eric Arthur Blair respectively.

Source: Behind the name - Seoirse

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

Somhairlidh would be so unfair, he will spend the rest of his life spelling and pronouncing it to everyone.

It’s bad enough being called Kieran when your name is Ciarán!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Lockedout2 wrote: »
    Somhairlidh would be so unfair, he will spend the rest of his life spelling and pronouncing it to everyone.

It’s bad enough being called Kieran when your name is Ciarán!

I agree.
    Think a 4yr old trying to learn to spell that..think that on top of a CV when an employer is scratching his head on how to pronounce that when he phones him for an interview..and worse when someone sees that on paper it could be either gender.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We struggled to find an Irish boy’s name and we also chose Liam! My husband is welsh and he wanted something that would be easy to spell and pronounced in the uk.

On that basis, others we considered were Lorcan, Conor, Lochlann, Ronan, Rory, Conall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't see why ye can't have Samuel either.
    It could become a family name and his uncle would be chuffed with the nod.
    Sam is a very popular baby boy's name now.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

What about Senan, Oisin or Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Felim/Feidhlim/Phelim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I don't see why ye can't have Samuel either.
    It could become a family name and his uncle would be chuffed with the nod.
    Sam is a very popular baby boy's name now.

Its just my younger brother....its doesnt fit

Thanks all the imput.... Wife came up with Sean. Its still not decided....

I have never expected so much nice people and nice tips....

And yes...
    Somhairlidh would be unfair....i never though of that the other way...

Felim/Feidhlim/Phelim

Never met anybody with such a name...going to google them up... meaning..

Met plenty of Dermots...Darraghs....etc

One name always make.me laugh...and its Seamus - as there was an advert on donedeal....a guy called Seamus selling cars..and on all his adds it was... call Seamus for more info.... its in my head since then..as it was so funny...

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If you want a truly Irish name there is no K in the Irish language . So it would be Cillian or Ciarán . Noah is a biblical name and not an Irish name as such

What about Cian . Fionn . Oisín . Oran . Dara .

On the Irish Central Statisics site online you can enter any name and any year and see how many baby were given that name that year
    I personally have never come across a Somhairlidh

Ps I just checked and the name you are thinking of is Somhairle

SOMHAIRLE. SOMHAIRLE, genitive — id. (the same), Sorley, (Samuel, Charles); Norse — Sumerlide, summer-sailor; a name of Norse origin; specially common among the MacDonnells, by whom it was anglicised Sorley; now disguised as Samuel and Charles. Latin — Somerledus.

Oran...Cian... going to look them up...

Edit: after checking up...Cian is defo something i have overlooked but it sounds great...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

If you're set on an Irish name, it's worth getting a second hand copy of this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Names-Donncha-OCorrain/dp/0946640661

Has everything from "normal" names such as Liam and Sean, to not so normal such as Maolseachlann and Cú Mhara (means hound of the sea, an epic name!).

You'll also get the history of all the names from it which is quite interesting in it's own right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Eoin. Ryan. Ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Donal?

Donnacha?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Padraig?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Oisin , Fiachra , Darrach

Will update you once he is with us...due today...but you never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Bets of luck to your wife and self as your baby's birthday arrives.
    I have always had a bit of a grá for the name Malachi.
    Naoise too.
    Conall is nice.
    Fintan, Oisín and Iarla are other ones I like.
    It depends a bit on if you have met people you like/dislike with the names though.

• Advertisement

Will update you once he is with us...due today...but you never know...

Best wishes and I hope all goes well for you all .

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Malayalam wrote: »
    Bets of luck to your wife and self as your baby's birthday arrives.
    I have always had a bit of a grá for the name Malachi.
    Naoise too.
    Conall is nice.
    Fintan, Oisín and Iarla are other ones I like.
    It depends a bit on if you have met people you like/dislike with the names though.

Don't name your child Naoise. They might leave Ireland someday and be in a whole world of pain. I used to work for a guy named Naoise, and we're still good mates. People always came in asking for 'Noisey' or 'No-way-say', or they'd walk up to the first girl they saw and ask if they were Naoise. I had someone contact him for a reference recently and she thought I'd made the name up!

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I hope you're not still here in 2 weeks!!

Yeah, having a good strong name is nice. But do bear in mind the person (not baby) who will have to use it, write it, spell it for the rest of their lives.

I like Darragh/Dara (Darrach, is pronounced Darragh just with awkward spelling!) Conor, Eoin, Liam, Conn, Shay (as short for Seamus), Mícheál.

You can think of all the names you like, but when you see him something will sit right on him and that will be it.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

One name always make.me laugh...and its Seamus - as there was an advert on donedeal....a guy called Seamus selling cars..and on all his adds it was... call Seamus for more info.... its in my head since then..as it was so funny...

I have cousins in England, a big family and one son was given a token Irish name. A sibling of his joked to me "it's a good thing they didn't call him Séamus because that's what he always does"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 magvadesign

Best to stick with a name that is easy to pronounce. How about:
    Cian, Ruairi, Eamonn, Tadhg, Cillian, Ros, Iain, Ryan, Aron, Daithi, Cormac

So far on my list Cian...Ciarran, cillian and Sean....

Hint: i can only present my list to her majesty and we move from there.

Lovely names ! Just a little advice though its Ciarán with one r in the middle , it will
    look odd with two r

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I have a Ciarán, Liam and a Cillian.. have 1 girl, not an Irish name regrettably.. and 1 on the way so on the look out myself..

Some good suggestions already so far OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

And remember the fadas too please, otherwise you've got a very different pronounciation.

Ciarán, Seán, Dónal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My husband is welsh and he wanted something that would be easy to spell and pronounced in the uk.

On that basis, others we considered were Lorcan, Conor, Lochlann, Ronan, Rory, Conall.

We've got the same condition on names - they need to be easy to pronounce in the UK as we currently live in London and don't see ourselves back in Ireland any time soon. We have a Conor already but picking a second boys name is a nightmare. Due in 3 weeks and we have nothing set...

Advertisement