Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy / irish name

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

I still want to know how you pronounce Somhairlidh

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We've got the same condition on names - they need to be easy to pronounce in the UK as we currently live in London and don't see ourselves back in Ireland any time soon. We have a Conor already but picking a second boys name is a nightmare. Due in 3 weeks and we have nothing set...

Lorcan?

So-orla/So-orlih, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The name is Somhairle . Sew er le

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As someone with a very Irish name I don't get all the people saying it's a bad thing. I've got fadas and everything and went to college in the states and have traveled all around the world with little issue. It's always been a positive point of conversation rather then a hindrance. Brother and several cousins also have super Irish names and most are living outside of Ireland, again with little issue.

• Advertisement

As someone with a very Irish name I don't get all the people saying it's a bad thing. I've got fadas and everything and went to college in the states and have traveled all around the world with little issue. It's always been a positive point of conversation rather then a hindrance. Brother and several cousins also have super Irish names and most are living outside of Ireland, again with little issue.

I lived in Germany and my name has fadas and multiple vowels ! I found no problem at all with them saying my name . But I was always sure to say it first before they saw the spelling! Once others see the spelling it throws them completely off !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

All I can think of is samurai sword!
    Sorry OP.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Eoin. Ryan. Ciaran.
    No y in the Irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Boy still not with us...taking his time... did i mentioned that we..or better said..she has the name....so its going to be Sean

Btw i will still call him Sam-her-lee...at least to piss her of a bit... just a for a while...as basically i had no chance to decide....i submited some names and all was refused....xixi

Anyway...once its healthy boy it will be a win win....

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Boy still not with us...taking his time... did i mentioned that we..or better said..she has the name....so its going to be Sean

Btw i will still call him Sam-her-lee...at least to piss her of a bit... just a for a while...as basically i had no chance to decide....i submited some names and all was refused....xixi

Anyway...once its healthy boy it will be a win win....

Don't put your eggs in one basket.
    Scans have been wrong..
    You might get a Shauna ;)

• Advertisement

Don't put your eggs in one basket.
    Scans have been wrong..
    You might get a Shauna ;)

Well well.... i am from 3 brothers... my brothers has only sons.... it would be like winning lottery here....but its a boy...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

What about Brody?
    That's we named our son but it's more Celtic than Irish, Most likely Scottish/Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Oisin or Tadgh

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭17togo

Don't give up yet. We called our little lunatic Seadna (shay-na). There's a fada over the e but boards doesn't recognise it! It's an old Irish name, not very well known. Translated into English it would be Sidney! There's an old story written printed back in 1904 about a cobbler, and his name is Seadna. It's available to read online, something for you to do while waiting for him to make an appearance!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the name Cillian but my son is called Caolán

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Eastern Europeans living here don’t seem to have an issue with their name. We live in a multi cultural society. I really don’t get people who have issues with Irish names

In saying that we called one of ours Ava, we tried to go with the Irish version but they all seem to be made up versions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have heard a few boys lately called Culainn, think it’s lovely (not sure of spelling).

pc7 wrote: »
    Have heard a few boys lately called Culainn, think it’s lovely (not sure of spelling).

Culann

Culann. In the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology, Culann was a smith whose house was protected by a ferocious watchdog. ... For this he was renamed Cú Chulainn – "Culann's hound".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah knew it was from the story, very nice name if I were to have another I’d love it but that won’t be happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Rían - (little King) don't forget the Fada as it has a different meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Tenigate wrote:
    Somhairlidh is a horrible name and the spelling is ridiculous. I've never heard of it either. I'd recommend Sam.

Sam? Pretty dull to be honest. Samuel is far better but if course doesn't meet the OP's requirements.

How about Colm, Donal or Tomás?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Cuan but with fadas on the vowels

If your on an iPhone long press the letter you need to Fada only certain letters can have a Fada. áéíóú etc.

Rían - (little King) don't forget the Fada as it has a different meaning.

I love that name.. but not if your surname is Ryan!

There no relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

I would go with Ronan with 2 fada

Little seal.. easy to pronounce

Also bonus it is a character in a major marvel film

ted1 wrote: »
    The Eastern Europeans living here don’t seem to have an issue with their name. We live in a multi cultural society. I really don’t get people who have issues with Irish names

In saying that we called one of ours Ava, we tried to go with the Irish version but they all seem to be made up versions.

I will try to share my honest opinion here on that matter..

multi curtural society yes... but i came to ireland and i live here because i like the people...i like the food... i like the nature and i like bikes..fishing....and i want my sons to know that they were made and born in IRELAND!! and i am proud everytime someone ask me where i live i say Ireland with head up.. if i wanna keep my own country traditions and own country names i should maybe go back.. but i feel like giving respect to country where you settle is a comon sense... many people loose that point and live "as open minded".... not me... the same i would expect from foreign person coming to my native country...welcome to come but stick to the culture...

Not going off topic here..just expresing my feelings...that doesnt mean that everyone has to be Darragh or Padraig... but just using hearth and comon sense will do...

Cheers

no.8 wrote: »
    Sam? Pretty dull to be honest. Samuel is far better but if course doesn't meet the OP's requirements.

How about Colm, Donal or Tomás?

Its going to be a wee Sean.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bikerguy wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »

I will try to share my honest opinion here on that matter..

multi curtural society yes... but i came to ireland and i live here because i like the people...i like the food... i like the nature and i like bikes..fishing....and i want my sons to know that they were made and born in IRELAND!! and i am proud everytime someone ask me where i live i say Ireland with head up.. if i wanna keep my own country traditions and own country names i should maybe go back.. but i feel like giving respect to country where you settle is a comon sense... many people loose that point and live "as open minded".... not me... the same i would expect from foreign person coming to my native country...welcome to come but stick to the culture...

Not going off topic here..just expresing my feelings...that doesnt mean that everyone has to be Darragh or Padraig... but just using hearth and comon sense will do...

Cheers

Agree, my post was more in relation to some people not using Irish names because they th Bi that they will have a hard time if travelling to other countries

E.g Saoirse Ronan always gets missprounced

• Advertisement

There no relation.
    But in school for example in Irish class he'd be Rian O Riain.

Advertisement