Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy / irish name

Options
13»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,597 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

unjedilike wrote: »
    Cuan but with fadas on the vowels

God no.

Its just cuan.

Not coooo... Awwwnnn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Now finally....

3:33am with weight of 4.440grams

Welcome to the world my boy Sean

Edit: Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Congratulations!

(PS: I think you mean "Seán". "Sean", without the fada, just means "old".)

unjedilike wrote: »
    Cuan but with fadas on the vowels
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    God no.

Its just cuan.

Not coooo... Awwwnnn.
    Different words. Cuan means bay, harbour. Cúán is an Old Irish (i.e. the language spoken up to about AD 1000) word meaning small dog, whelp. In modern Irish you can't have two broad vowels beside one another, with fadas over both of them; the corresponding word is Cuán

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Different words. Cuan means bay, harbour. Cú/i] is an Old Irish (i.e. the language spoken up to about AD 1000) word meaning small dog, whelp. In modern Irish you can't have two broad vowels beside one another, with fadas over both of them; the corresponding word is Cu/i]

Not in East Galway.

http://stcuans.ie/

• Advertisement

Not in East Galway.

http://stcuans.ie/
    Cuan is an Anglicisation of the Irish name Cúan, which is different both from the Irish word cuan, a bay or harbour, and the Irish word cuán, a little dog.

The OP wants an Irish name. Cuan is to Cúan as Teigue is to Tadhg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Now finally....

3:33am with weight of 4.440grams

Welcome to the world my boy Sean

Edit: Seán
    Well done! Congratulations.
    Now for the middle name!!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I knew a girl with a very popular Irish name who went to live in Canada and everyone pronounced her name phonetically to the extent that she gave up and started introducing herself as that...i.e. 'Summerlid' for your son. I'm not a fan of Irish names myself but I'd consider a million more before that one. And that's no offence intended just being honest.

Advertisement