Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minding child in own home.

Options
  • 19-01-2018 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

A quick question.

How much would you expect to pay for to have an 8 month old minded in a childminders home.
    We're looking at 9 hours a day for3 days a week.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

A quick question.

How much would you expect to pay for to have an 8 month old minded in a childminders home.
    We're looking at 9 hours a day for3 days a week.

TIA

It depends largely on where you are. It’s a lot more in Dublin than in small towns.
    I used pay €25 a day for one child.
    Some minders charge per hour, mine never does

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Same as above. €25 per day. Again, not in Dublin (or near any major city for that matter!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

jlm29 wrote: »
    It depends largely on where you are. It’s a lot more in Dublin than in small towns.
    Some minders charge per hour, mine never does not

€25?, for how many hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

I'd say rurally your looking at €30/35 now. In a city probably per hour up to €50.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Some minders charge per hour, mine never does not

€25?, for how many hours ?

I work Full time, 9-5, so he’d have been there from just before 9 to just after 5

• Advertisement

I'm a childminder and charge €25 but I know this rate has definitely gone up to €30 in my area. Rural creche charge €34 and creche in town charges €40, in the west of Ireland 😱, Childcare places are difficult to get at the moment and so it seems it's OK to charge crazy prices!

I work Full time, 9-5, so he’d have been there from just before 9 to just after 5

So it about €3.10 a hour for looking after one child for 8 hours.
    no offence intended, if that's what they are happy with, seems very low pay for the responsibility.

no offence intended, if that's what they are happy with, seems very low pay for the responsibility.

But as a childminder in our own home we usually have other children we are also caring for!! We set the prices so it not the other posters fault they paid €25.

no offence intended, if that's what they are happy with, seems very low pay
    for the responsibility.

She doesn’t just have my kids, so her wages all-told would be considerably more than €3.10. I have two kids with her now, so I pay more. I didn’t set the price, she did. It balances out a good bit at times also, when my eldest started pre-school, I continued to pay the same rate. Some days I might finish early, or take a day off unexpectedly, and I’d still pay the same.

As i said didn't mean any offence to posters who pay €25 a day for a child minder,if thats the going rate thats the rate ,just a eye opener for me, but the ops child minder might be just looking after her child would that be €25 a day or would it be more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We would be looking at only one child with the minder. Living in Dublin.

25 a day is a bargain/robbery depending on your point of view

So your looking for a person to solely mind your child only OR you've only 1 child but the childminder may take other kids at their discretion??

If it's option 1 you'll be paying alot
    If it's option 2 you might pay €40-50 a day.

Agree bargain, but if i was in same position and needed child minder and
    was offered €25 a day.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

rainemac wrote: »
    So your looking for a person to solely mind your child only OR you've only 1 child but the childminder may take other kids at their discretion??

If it's option 1 you'll be paying alot
    If it's option 2 you might pay €40-50 a day.

It's probably option 1

It's probably option 1

Prob minimum wage at least so

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think my misses charged 6 Euro an hour or 8 for two kids
    *she minded our friends kids in our house and the kids were the same age as ours so they entertained themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Not wanting to scare you but unless you know them are they gardai vetted and house appropriate set up / safe for child. Any other adults in the house etc

Other things such as tax / declaring etc are not for you to worry about.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Not wanting to scare you but unless you know them are they gardai vetted and house appropriate set up / safe for child. Any other adults in the house etc

Other things such as tax / declaring etc are not for you to worry about.
    Actually the tax thing is easy , they can register and pay x prsi to be legit and get tax free for 15,000

http://www.childcareonline.ie/index.php/childminders/childminder-supports/childminders-tax-relief-scheme

Just to add it entitled you to claim

State Pension (Contributory)

Guardian’s Payment (Contributory)

Widow’s or Widower’s (Contributory) Pension

Maternity Benefit

Adoptive Benefit

Bereavement Grant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

120pw based on having the child for 3 days every week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

CHildminding Ireland is a great resource.

Min wage applies if it is in your house.

If it is in their house then they can earn 15k tax free and pay voluntary PRSI, any penny over the 15k means that the whole lot is taxed at normal rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheFever

3.10 an hour wow I am definitely paying the babysitter too much when we go out for a bite to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    120pw based on having the child for 3 days every week.

The op said they wanted someone that wouldn't take other kids, so they'd be paying alot more to keep that person only looking after their own child, no one will do it for long working 8-9 hours and only earning 40 a day.

TheFever wrote: »
    3.10 an hour wow I am definitely paying the babysitter too much when we go out for a bite to eat!

The €3.10 an hour was based on me saying I pay €25 a day- because my childminder was minding several other children, she was earning considerably more than €3.10 an hour. In fact, when everything is taken into account, she’s probably earning more than I am.
    As I said, she set the prices, and it’s the going rate around here, so it’s neither a bargain nor robbery. It’s one of the advantages of not living in a city.
    The babysitter coming into your home is a totally different story, as is a minder in the child’s own home. When you’re employing someone in your home, you’re supposed to pay them minimum wage, as well as pay their stamp etc.

Advertisement