Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTia a+, CCENT/CCNA

Options
  • 19-01-2018 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

HI, I'm currently studying for the A+ and CCENT at the moment and I was wondering if these certifications alone would be enough to get a job in a help desk technician kind of role or something similar. I don't have any experience except fixing friends and families computers over the years and building a few computers.

The highest level of education I have is a HND in Games Development.

Do you think it would be a waste of time getting these certs. I was looking at jobs online just to get an idea of what they require and most either seem to need 2+ years of experience or a degree in a related field.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

These certificates(like any other) is only to proof to your future employer that your claim of your knowledge is confirmed by trusted source/cert issuing body(CompTIA, Cisco, etc.).

Where these certs are recognized and valued by employers, it might be not enough to get you good job. Combined set of certifications(including your diploma) will increase your chance to "get in" for interview.

Booth, CompTIA A+ and CCENT - good, entry level certs - way more to learn after that.

Education is never waste of time. Will you be able to use that knowledge is different.

All employers prefer to get experienced employees - non of them where born with it, all start from 0. It will be up to you to "talk" them to take you on-board with or without experience. You have helped family and friends - that is experience. Do it every day for two years and you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Keep doing the studying. Certs will help land the first job. First job will also be the hardest to get.

If you live in Dublin you could volunteer in camara. It helped me get into IT

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stigy919

Thanks for the replies. Oh i didn't know that would actually count as experience. After i progress a bit with the ccent i'm gonna get some Cisco hardware so i can create a lab to practice with.

I don't mind at all what the job is just once its I.T related just so i can get my foot in the door. then work my way up from there.

Ill keep up with the study and hopefully pass

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yeh putting camara on the CV helped a lot. Sure a lot don't know what it is. They assume you are getting paid.

IT certification forum might serve you better https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882

Advertisement