Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP won't treat subclinical hypothyroid. Recommendations for new Dr.

• 19-01-2018 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everyone.

3 months ago I requested blood tests after a hellish year of fatigue, constant flu's and infections, constipation and putting on weight. This was combined with brain fog and sudden severe anxiety for no reason. My Dr (who originally forgot to even call me about the results, so you can see how seriously its taken in their office) said my thyroid was "borderline" hypo and might need to be treated some time down the line. I had being going to my Gp about all these symptoms, he kept sending me away with anti depressants.

Fast forward to now and my symptoms are even worse, my hair is dry and has started to fall out in clumps and I often wake up with a nest in my head. My nails peel and rip off or snap on my computer keys in work or in my tights and clothing. My facial skin is horribly dry and ppl in work comment on my looking like a corpse. I forget things like my pin numbers and passwords weekly and make very silly mistakes in work which are pure forgetfulness (this is incredibly unlike me) and I've no idea how im still employed.

No matter how many supplements and fruits and veg I eat and water I drink I feel more and more exhausted each day, I used to go to the gym for 2 hours a day 4 times a week and now I can barely manage 30 mins (I had to lie down after screwing in a lightbulb the other day) I haven't had a night out with friends in months, its too exhausting (i'm 25 years old) and my periods are so heavy I've had to throw out sheets.

I went to my doctor and asked if we could try the lowest dose of treatment but she wouldn't listen to me at all. She said nobody presents with symptoms until they are deep into hypothyroidism and its barely functioning and that it was definitely depression (again, not depressed, just frustrated) and even tried to blame me being veggie at one point (i've been veggie 14 years and it was never a problem)

I really, really need to find a doctor who will listen to me and chance trying me on treatment to see if I can get my life back, i'm barely living now, just existing, I just want to be well again. Can anyone give me advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I'm really sorry to read your post and it brought me back to my own thyroid history-i was "subclinical" for ten years before I eventually was put on medication. During this time I felt exactly how you described, every symptom in the book and very low quality of life.

Eventually I insisted on getting a referral to an endocrinologist (I had to fight for this as my GP said I wasnt unwell enough for an endo). Once I got my endo (Dr Griffin in the Beacon hospital) things got much better, she listens to symptoms as well as blood results. I still have a lot of ups and downs with the medication but I'm very well looked after now (and believed, crucially!).

I really hope things get better for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 meechmunchies2

Thanks lovelystuff, it's good to hear that someone else has experienced this and it's not all in my head as the GP made me feel. Have you any tips for getting the GP to give me a referral or would I be best trying a new doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Do you know what your results were? Perhaps if you could get a copy of them and go to a new GP with them and get retested it might be a good place to start.

Different GP's seem to have different ides about when to start treating patients but if you are borderline with severe symptoms then it's very strange not to treat you!
    I'd be asking for a copy of your results ASAP to see what that doctor considers borderline.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 StolenKrone

This all reads quite harrowing. I can sympathise with you in that I myself have a Dr who is best described as a layabout. Get a new Dr and I hope things turn around.

Do you know what your results were? Perhaps if you could get a copy of them and go to a new GP with them and get retested it might be a good place to start.

Different GP's seem to have different ides about when to start treating patients but if you are borderline with severe symptoms then it's very strange not to treat you!
    I'd be asking for a copy of your results ASAP to see what that doctor considers borderline.

The GP actually wouldn't tell me my results or let me see the screen so i'm not sure, I will ask if I can have a copy for myself to see.

I managed to demand another set of bloods which i'll be getting done in James' and will be testing for antibodies for hashimotos as this wasn't done last time. As well as ferrin and magnesium I'll ask the hospital to send me a copy.

My GP very much implied that I had been googling symptoms and attributing them to myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Could you see a different gp? You may be able to call the consultants office and explain/self refer.
    I was borderline hypo, and went on eltroxin for fertility reasons but my gp and clinic nurse look after all bloods and prescriptions now. I sometimes think I'm still experiencing symptoms though, even though my bloods have been fine since I went on medication.

I'd see a different gp honestly! Asap with that many symptoms.

rainemac wrote: »
    Could you see a different gp? You may be able to call the consultants office and explain/self refer.
    I was borderline hypo, and went on eltroxin for fertility reasons but my gp and clinic nurse look after all bloods and prescriptions now. I sometimes think I'm still experiencing symptoms though, even though my bloods have been fine since I went on medication.

I'd see a different gp honestly! Asap with that many symptoms.

I might try to self refer, this is the second doctor (both in the same office) i've gone to about these problems, I thought the female doctor might listen but she wasn't helpful. Said lots of people experience constipation and the rest was poor mood and bad diet but I have a healthy diet and my mood is only poor because of these symptoms

If anyone has had success with a GP in Dublin who listens please send me their detials

Do try to self refer, as it's private and your paying, then can't see any reason they wouldn't check you out.
    Find a totally different GP practice regardless of this getting sorted. They sound terrible to deal with. I frequently get a printout of my bloods, never an issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The GP actually wouldn't tell me my results or let me see the screen so i'm not sure, I will ask if I can have a copy for myself to see.

I managed to demand another set of bloods which i'll be getting done in James' and will be testing for antibodies for hashimotos as this wasn't done last time. As well as ferrin and magnesium I'll ask the hospital to send me a copy.

My GP very much implied that I had been googling symptoms and attributing them to myself

Oh ffs!! Your GP is probably one of those that's seen to much and can't wait to retire!
    I'd say ask for a copy of your results and go to a new doctor and see what they say.
    In the meantime msm will help with your nails and hair and a vitamin B complex in liquid form is essential.

• Advertisement

Also selenium and iodine supplements can help but really you'd want to be getting onto a new gp or endo first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Thanks lovelystuff, it's good to hear that someone else has experienced this and it's not all in my head as the GP made me feel. Have you any tips for getting the GP to give me a referral or would I be best trying a new doctor

I had to be quite pushy to be honest and just insisted on a referral, you are also fully entitled to copies of your bloods and they should be provided to you no problem. Theres a real lack of knowledge about thyroid and it's impact out there so I had to really be my own advocate-i know how exhausting that is when you're already feeling so terrible!

I eventually got a new gp (not just because they were so bad about my thyroid, i had loads of other problems with them) and the gp I have now listens to me and does my bloods but generally defers to my endo. I really can't recommend Dr Griffin enough! Theres a thread called Thyroid Misery in this forum that's full of useful advise and recommendations too. I really hope you're on the mend soon, it's miserable I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

A reminder to posters that giving medical advice is not permitted. Even if it is suggesting supplements to take, these may not be suitable or safe for all individuals. Any queries, please drop me a PM.

rainemac wrote: »
    Do try to self refer, as it's private and your paying, then can't see any reason they wouldn't check you out.
    Find a totally different GP practice regardless of this getting sorted. They sound terrible to deal with. I frequently get a printout of my bloods, never an issue!

They are incredibly behind the times and have never managed to help me with a single medical issue.

How much would an appointment with an endo set me back if you don't mind me asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Just wondering are you going through the Public health system. I had a medical card but never really seemed to get anywhere with it. During my time as a gms patient I had arranged counseling, paid for private psychologist and did most of running around myself as my doctor didn't believe I needed help. Took me a while to figure out that it might just be that particular doctor had issues treating medical card patients and changed doctor. Doctor I see now only takes people privately and has managed to resolve most of my issues in one swing. Previous doctor had issues forwarding my records too, after a month still hadn't arrived despite numerous attempts to find out what the problem was, got no response until shtf and secretary contacted me to tell me she sent them to the wrong address. (which I call bs on)
    Don't even know if my current doctor has my medical records, I did request them myself but have had no response at all from former practice. Couldn't be arsed going down the road of trying to argue with them, my only concern was getting proper medical care.

I realise the health service is at an all time low and GPs not happy with new measures and maybe loosing out on a couple of grand a month due to under 6s going free but there's something seriously wrong if GP values his job security more than your health. I'm thinking they probably in the wrong line of work. I guess you get what you pay for and I'd happily give new doc twice what she charges for her services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I can't speak for all clinics/consultants in private practice but having worked for several spanning a lot of specialities including endo, they all need referrals.

I would get a new GP first. My GP has managed my hypothyroidism for 11 years. I have seen an endo but that was due to something else suspected to be connected. It can take a long time to settle on a dose of Eltroxin as it takes 6 weeks after the dose is changed for it to take effect. Monitoring symptoms and comparing them to blood results is something a good GP is well capable of. Get a copy of your bloods from the GP reception and then register with a different practice. They cannot refuse to print you out a copy, you are entitled to them.

Being borderline is something to be watchful of but not overly concerned with if there are NO symptoms. My dad veers from borderline to actively hypo and even though he has 2 daughters and his mother and aunt are/were all on Eltroxin he's not on it because he shows no symotons. Having so many would definitely indicate repeated investigation with a view to careful treatment on a low dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

The GPs receptionist was going to be my suggestion too. I just call her and ask for my blood tests or walk into her if I want a printout...just handed to me no problem.

Low thyroid seems to be one of those "well it might be that" conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trishabon

Actually you are legally entitled to copies of all your tests under the Freedom of Information act, so you might say that to them. I have similar problems with my GP being really apathetic and she even accused me of 'imagining' that I needed cataract surgery because she didn't receive the report from the Mater... I have moved to D15 now and am looking for a new GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trishabon

Freedom of information law states you have a right to a copy of any information about yourself. My problem is that I am stuck with my incompetent GP as all the ones in my area have full patient lists and not accepting new patients... I really don't understand why it's necessary to be registered with a GP. Even though I have a couple of auto immune conditions I only see my GP every six months for a repeat prescription. Whenever I have needed to see her urgently she has no appointments available and I am told to go to A&E!

Advertisement