Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lettuce In Pipes

Options
  • 19-01-2018 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I know its early to be thinking of veg planting, but I'm just starting a bit of planning and change ups from last year. I've come across people planting lettuce in piping or in hanging plastic bottles like in the photos before. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried this and found it to be successful? It would free up a fair bit of space on my small enough plot to plant my lettuce like this. Thanks

Vertical-Vegetable-Garden-Ideas-2.jpg

Vertical-Vegetable-Garden-Ideas-3-1-640x480.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

What an excellent idea!! I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I like the pipe idea. You can presumably just water in the top (feed off downpipes?).

I think I have stuff growing in my gutters but it's not edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Would work very well in a polytunnel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't really understand how irrigation would work with the piping.

Presumably you'd need a bit of gravel under the soil/compost, but just the right amount so that there is balance between flow and absorption all the way down.

Or else use drip hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GuitarTown

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't really understand how irrigation would work with the piping.

Presumably you'd need a bit of gravel under the soil/compost, but just the right amount so that there is balance between flow and absorption all the way down.

Or else use drip hose.

I wonder would just putting some small holes in the bottom sort that out maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

GuitarTown wrote: »
    I wonder would just putting some small holes in the bottom sort that out maybe?
    I think that if the pipes were all installed with a slight fall, as waste pipes normally are, and a layer of gravel is added below the compost, a gentle flow of water added at the top from time to time should flow right down through the system and irrigate all the levels.
    On the other hand, google "hydroponics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

The top one is "hydroponics", as Hocus corectly identified.
    Is using a special feeding liquids and not soil and water and sun !
    There are many online opinions ,not sure whih one to trust.

I'm doing natural grown of strawberres and lettuce in 6" pipes bought from local DIY store.
    Make the top holes big enough to accomodate the plant and to allow to water and to check the soil / add fertilisers and few holes at the bottom to drain excess water.
    The lettuce grew lovley and healthy inside the greenhose but end up "compromised" by slugs.
    Is a great ideea if not enough space to get lots of plants.

The below photo is few days old as i was cleaning the old dead branches off the plants.

439771.jpg

Advertisement