Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can HAP family member rent my house?

Options
  • 20-01-2018 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

If a family member qualifies for the HAP scheme and I wanted to rent my house out to her -would this be allowed? Can’t seem to find a definitive answer to this online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Call the housing department of your local council and they will tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    If a family member qualifies for the HAP scheme and I wanted to rent my house out to her -would this be allowed? Can’t seem to find a definitive answer to this online

This is one time it works in your favour, you cannot discriminate against a tenant receiving HAP, so, to not allow you to rent to your relative just because he/she is recieving HAP, would be discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

If it's never been the family home that you both lived in apparently you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RebekahT

Hi All
    Did anyone find a definitive answer for this? I have a sibling who will be going on homeless HAP but wondering if her renting an apartment owned by a family member is allowed under HAP Guidelines. Very hard to get information on it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Read the section 'renting from parent'.Don't know if this applies to other family connections. Looks like you cannot get Hap to give to a parent. Based on that you can assume it also applies to children renting to parents as well.

• Advertisement

thanks for that, it's not a parent to a child, it's a brother to a sister... It would help her a lot if that was allowed, as she wouldn't be able to find accommodation if this is not the case and will end up homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

RebekahT wrote: »
    thanks for that, it's not a parent to a child, it's a brother to a sister... It would help her a lot if that was allowed, as she wouldn't be able to find accommodation if this is not the case and will end up homeless

Would you let her go homeless if the HAP didn't work out? Why not just arrange a lesser rent between you and help her out?

Would you let her go homeless if the HAP didn't work out? Why not just arrange a lesser rent between you and help her out?

No, wouldn't let her go homeless obviously, but she is in receipt of SW, so therefore wouldn't have the funds to pay for the full rent. It is so hard to find a landlord that will accept HAP anyway, it's not to rip of anyone, and the rent would be below the "market rent" anyway, she would just need some help with it that is all. It's only trying to find the best solution so she doesn't end up in emergency accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They should equally not be forced to subsidise a sibling due to the inability of the state to provide accommodation they say they are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Took the words out of my mouth, can't imagine letting a family member go homeless because they didn't qualify for HAP, would not even charge them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

votecounts wrote: »
    Took the words out of my mouth, can't imagine letting a family member go homeless because they didn't qualify for HAP, would not even charge them.

I suppose if you are lucky enough to be able to pay the mortgage on two houses then that is a good thing to be able to do. But for most that is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Hi All
    Did anyone find a definitive answer for this? I have a sibling who will be going on homeless HAP but wondering if her renting an apartment owned by a family member is allowed under HAP Guidelines. Very hard to get information on it.....

I suspect it's allowed under HAP guidelines as one of the questions on the HAP application form asks if there is a family relationship between you and the landlord.

If it wasn't allowed, then I don't think that question would be there.

Advertisement