Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Clare

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

What surprised me most about this was they kept the race dates separate. Really thought that they would head to head on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Don't mention the war... Haha. There's a story there and a lot of tit for tat going on. FYI I'm doing Run Clare so I've followed this with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Here is my understanding though l know neither group. The original organiser of the run clare series included some athletics club races in the original run Clare series that has taken place now for three years. He included an 8km and a 10 mile race and increased their popularity as previously people didn't know much about these races.

This year the original run clare series organiser decided to change things up and move the races around to diffetent parts of Clare so the 8km and 10 mile were not included. The athletics clubs were annoyed so decided to set up a rival run the banner series that includes 4 athletics clubs races and feeds any profit back into the club's.

It all played out over social media and that's what I took from it.

In any case, the original run Clare series had sold out for the first time ever.

And while doing so basically copied the exact same format as the original Run Clare series with a 5k in Jan, 5M in Feb, 10k in March, 10M in April. The poster and marketing is pretty much identical. And the 10k is organized in the same town just a week before.

Two of those races where in the original Run Clare Series. The 5 Mile and the 10 mile, these races have always been ran by local athletics clubs. In fact the 10 mile race was part of the original 10 mile series with Ballycotton, Mallow and Dungarvan.

Locally this has not played out very well, even though Run Clare has sold out I doubt any runners affiliated with local clubs who have entered will run. In any case that is not going to be a high percentage of their target market.

Also to note Run Clare races do not currently hold AAI permits.

• Advertisement

Through all the crap I still haven't seen explained what exactly the original series did wrong? They dropped a couple of the races to try pastures new? Asking out of curiosity not being argumentative

The original series did not do anything wrong in the same way the other series has done nothing wrong in holding a competing series its just the manner in which both actions where done.

ger664 wrote:
    The original series did not do anything wrong in the same way the other series has done nothing wrong in holding a competing series its just the manner in which both actions where done.

I guess from my point of view the optics of it look like there was a series in place and whatever has happened in between a new series has been set up which has copied exactly the concept and marketing of the original series and put races in direct competition with the original series. It all seems a bit petty to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I’m not sure I buy the ‘trying to promote running in other parts of Clare’ aspect. The only rationale I can see for dropping the two races with athletics clubs involved and keeping the other two is simply down to money. They just didn’t want to give the athletics clubs their cut any more.

Run Clare trying to discredit and undermine Run the Banner on social media didn’t go down well in my book either. As Ger said, there are two different target markets involved so it will all sort itself out in the end I’m sure.

JohnDozer wrote:
    Run Clare trying to discredit and undermine Run the Banner on social media didn’t go down well in my book either. As Ger said, there are two different target markets involved so it will all sort itself out in the end I’m sure.

I'm not sure I get what the two different target markets are. Run the Banner, despite being club organized, are still targeting the new year new you, resolution runner types. Same as Run Clare. It's a copy and paste clone series.

• Advertisement

I guess from my point of view the optics of it look like there was a series in place and whatever has happened in between a new series has been set up which has copied exactly the concept and marketing of the original series and put races in direct competition with the original series. It all seems a bit petty to be honest.

The new Run Clare series was up and running on Facebook the night that the old series finished. I dont think the results from the 10 mile race had even been published. This is how and when the dropped races found out that there where not going top be part of the new series for 2018. I agree its a bit petty to be honest but there are two sides at it.

ger664 wrote:
    The new Run Clare series was up and running on Facebook the night that the old series finished. I dont think the results from the 10 mile race had even been published. This is how and when the dropped races found out that there where not going top be part of the new series for 2018. I agree its a bit petty to be honest but there are two sides at it.

I agree that's not a good way to find out. As for the new series being up straight away I'd have little issue with that. Seems to be common that races try to nab people for next year's run pretty much straight away. There's probably more going on at a personal level with this anyway so likelyhood is you're right and it's not as one sided as it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'm not sure I get what the two different target markets are. Run the Banner, despite being club organized, are still targeting the new year new you, resolution runner types. Same as Run Clare. It's a copy and paste clone series.

I think if you’re judging it on the marketing alone you could argue that yes. Generally athletics clubs organise races to represent themselves well and hopefully encourage new members to join and then use the funds generated continue to promote athletics in their communities. Race organisers whose unique selling point is a flashing medal at the end of the series might be seen to have different principles.

I think you’re forgetting that Run Clare were the first to set up races a week apart from existing races in Clare, so to take issue when it was done to them is a bit rich.

I do hope you enjoy the Run Clare races, and anyone who does Run the Banner races enjoy them. At the end of the day, whoever provides runners with the best experience will be the one that survives, regardless of the history or who did what. I know who my money is on! Or they may both survive. Unlikely, but possible.

JohnDozer wrote:
    I think you’re forgetting that Run Clare were the first to set up races a week apart from existing races in Clare, so to take issue when it was done to them is a bit rich.

Wasn't aware of that.
    JohnDozer wrote:
    I do hope you enjoy the Run Clare races, and anyone who does Run the Banner races enjoy them. At the end of the day, whoever provides runners with the best experience will be the one that survives, regardless of the history or who did what. I know who my money is on! Or they may both survive. Unlikely, but possible.

Reading between the lines is it safe to assume you'll think Run the Banner will survive? Don't underestimate the general publics love of a bit of bling. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Milo Liquorice

The original Run Clare series included two long standing popular road races - the Michael Egan 5 mile and the Sonny Murphy 10 mile. The 5k and the Maloney 10k are relatively new. When one of the organisers of the original Run Clare series decided to go it alone and create a new 5 mile and 10mile (and scheduled them within one week of those longstanding events), the other organisers, who had not been informed, were justifiably annoyed. They created their own version of the series creating a new 5K and 10K to compliment the long standing 5 mile and 10 mile. They just applied the Run Clare model - that they had been involved in setting up originally. The big difference is being that the Run the Banner series sees all money going back into support athletics and clubs involved. Whatever happens, there are more people out running than before and that's to be encouraged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now I'm confused as to which series is which, and which is the "original". :confused:

Anyway, that is beside the point. The important question is will Less Road parkrun be happening on the 31st March, and how far away is the start of the 10km that I could jog between them in time? And does anyone know if they post out numbers or would I have to pick it up on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

robinph wrote: »
    Anyway, that is beside the point. The important question is will Less Road parkrun be happening on the 31st March, and how far away is the start of the 10km that I could jog between them in time? And does anyone know if they post out numbers or would I have to pick it up on the day?

The Lees road park run has usually gone ahead despite whatever runs have been on so I can't imagine that it will be any different on the day of the Eamon Moloney 10km.

It's not too far to the start of the Eamon Moloney 10km - maybe 2.5km so you should make it there in plenty of time. The 10km starts around the Courthouse and registration is (was last year) in a pub across the road. Most people doing it will have their numbers already (as part of the series) though so it should be a quick process. They don't usually post out the numbers.

I'm signed up to both series and have done the two 5kms. I'm not sure what is going on behind the scenes but one thing is for sure - it's incredible to see the numbers that turned up each week to run and a testament to both series to see so many people out there trying their best to get active and get fit.

robinph wrote: »
    Now I'm confused as to which series is which, and which is the "original". :confused:

Numbers can be picked up the night before as well. Its about 2 Miles to the start from lees road. They have laid heavy sand on the course so buggie time will be slower :(

Neady83 wrote: »
    The Lees road park run has usually gone ahead despite whatever runs have been on so I can't imagine that it will be any different on the day of the Eamon Moloney 10km.

parkrun will go ahead on the 31st however the Run The Banner 10K the week before has a kids 2K on at 10 which uses most of our route. As a courtesy we have cancelled in the past whenever they have run the kids race.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ger664 wrote: »

Numbers can be picked up the night before as well. Its about 2 Miles to the start from lees road. They have laid heavy sand on the course so buggie time will be slower :(
    Sand is the buggies worst enemy. :(

If the plan comes together I might be able to run the parkrun buggy free depending on how negotiations go.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I ran lees road parkrun this morning, it is very heavily sanded on the smaller loop, I'd imagine it would be a nightmare with a buggy

• Advertisement

The Run Clare series doesn't appear to have Athletics Ireland permits for any of its runs - not listed on the AI website. Not sure if this affects insurance for events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

The Run Clare series doesn't appear to have Athletics Ireland permits for any of its runs - not listed on the AI website. Not sure if this affects insurance for events?

Basically means that they are not covered by the AAI Licence insurance. This covers any race with a permit below 1000 entrants (additional size needs additional cover which AAI broker arranges)

However if they have road closures for these races they would have had to propose Traffic Management plan and liase with local Garda/CC which should require insurance as part of proposed plan which would have been acquired independently of AAI.

Would be very surprised if it was signed off on without this.

Gets a bit murky though as this race series was Awarded EAA 3 star award for last years series but as they are no longer under AAI permit they would not come under the remit of EAA so probably shouldn't be using this as a selling point as it's misleading advertising.

Edit: According to there FB Page (23rd Jan) They are fully insured.

However if they have road closures for these races they would have had to propose Traffic Management plan and liase with local Garda/CC which should require insurance as part of proposed plan which would have been acquired independently of AAI.

No road closures as far as I'm aware.

No road closures as far as I'm aware.

So if the EAA Accredation was for the last series (4 races, 2 of which are club runs) then it's not now valid, considering the Run Clare is effectively 4 new/recent races. No AI permits probably doesn't matter. But they shouldn't be advertising this as if it validates them.

Permits are in general submitted to the county board first, I suspect that was a non runner from the get go. I would assume that they have some insurance cover, it would be foolish not to have with over 1000 runners. In the past the roads have been open to traffic but numbers where 600-700. With 1100 and counting for the 10K race that may well and should change in the interest of safety.

Advertisement