Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patrick Kavanagh copyright permission

• 20-01-2018 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hello

I am a volunteer with a very small group of youth group and I hoped to get them involved in picking a number of poems by Kavanagh and displaying them in various places around the community for a few weeks.

What I need to know is if I need to get permission from his trust and if I do where do i apply for this ?

thank you for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,431 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

From Wiki
    Ownership of the copyright is vested in Trustees of The Patrick and Katherine Kavanagh Trust by virtue of the terms of the will of the late Kathleen Kavanagh, widow of the poet, who in turn became entitled to the copyright on the death of her husband. The proceeds of the trust are used to support deserving writers. The Trustees are Leland Bardwell, Patrick MacEntee, Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin, Eunan O'Halpin, and Macdara Woods.[29] This was disputed by the late Peter Kavanagh who continued publishing his work after Patrick's death. This dispute led some books to go out of print. Most of his work is now available in the UK and Ireland but the status in the United States is more uncertain.

Don't imagine there would be a problem if you are not profiting from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭dandruff_ie

From Wiki

Don't imagine there would be a problem if you are not profiting from it.

My first thoughts were just that but my worry is that it is on display to the public and I did not want the kids to put the effort in only to find that we could not use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,431 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My first thoughts were just that but my worry is that it is on display to the public and I did not want the kids to put the effort in only to find that we could not use it.

Try contacting the Inniskeen Centre by phone, they will know how to contact the trust. A wee email and I would imagine that would suffice. Have done things like this before and a courtesy call never fails to help.

https://patrickkavanaghcountry.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Kavanagh is just over 50 years dead so his poetry is still under copyright. If you go ahead without written permission, you could conceivably be served with a cease and desist order which would be none too pleasant for your youth group.

Advertisement