Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your Parenting Superpower?

Options
  • 20-01-2018 1:14am
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

We are excellent at focusing on our less stellar moments as parents and the moments we got wrong, so this is a thread for the stuff we are good at as mammies and daddies.

I'll start.

I'm excellent at doing voices at bedtime stories. And helping him make cakes.

I'm good at helping him process the big stuff - the concept of bullying, bereavement, illness etc in an age appropriate way.

I also am sh!t hot at snowmen assembly :D

What's your parenting superpower?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The big stuff too.
    Baking.
    It's not exactly parenting but keeping my patience somedays is an epic power.
    Getting us all up and out the door for a walk when I really really really want to sit on the sofa, but I recognise my kids needs a run and some exercise.
    Colouring with them.I love colouring!!!And singing :-)
    Seeing the source of the behaviour on the bad days and acknowledging and dealing with the fact that they are tired/hungry/overwhelmed rather than just shouting at them for not behaving themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Boobs.

He’s only just shy of 12 months, and for now they still seem to fix evvvvverything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Boobs.

He’s only just shy of 12 months, and for now they still seem to fix evvvvverything!

Same, my fella is only 3 weeks so he’s easily pleased for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

Surviving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

the "don't even think of doing that" glare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Patience firmness and consistency. Both have paid off in bucketloads, especially with my eldest who is extremely strong-willed and would have everyone dancing to his tune if he could get away with it. But he never has so he knows he has to tow the line.
    Other than that I was brilliant at distraction when they were toddlers and they were starting to kick off in public places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My superpower is that my eldest knows that when I speak , it's the law.
    Thankfully I don't have to speak "ex cathedra" too often:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Call me Al wrote: »
    Patience firmness and consistency. Both have paid off in bucketloads, especially with my eldest who is extremely strong-willed and would have everyone dancing to his tune if he could get away with it. But he never has so he knows he has to tow the line.

Ditto for my eldest.In a way it's good to have the first like that because it really makes you lay down the rules and see how much all your work pays off as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My kids have a bug house, my super power is finding the best bugs to put in it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I had to think really hard about my "superpower" :(

I'm going to go with playing Sylvanian Families, being the patient for doctor & reading bedtime stories for our 3year old. For the baby, it'll have to be snuggles, he's a bit small yet for playing & stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

bee06 wrote: »
    Same, my fella is only 3 weeks so he’s easily pleased for the moment.

You'll get another while out of that. I'm 43 - the novelty still hasn't worn off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Being playful.

I love the sound of her laugh when we're messing.

I tend to be the Bad Cop and sometimes I'll be strict and she won't want me to play with her because of it and then she'll come over and give me a hug or climb on me to show me I'm still her friend. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I tend to be the Bad Cop and sometimes I'll be strict and she won't want me to play with her because of it and then she'll come over and give me a hug or climb on me to show me I'm still her friend. :)

I'm both Bad Cop and Good Cop!

latest?cb=20131111193341

• Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm both Bad Cop and Good Cop!

latest?cb=20131111193341

:D

Now you mention it, I occasionally like to switch things up and be the voice of reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bringer of cuddles! Nothing fixes my toddler's upsets quite like a good ol' Mammy Cuddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

if inadvertently teaching them curse words is a superpower then I am good at that one.....otherwise struggling on this.

Edit: Pancakes.

Good, I have one. I can get on with my day now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Daddy pancakes fix any crisis (or temporarily put it on hold at least)
    Fixing broken toys
    Movie picker extraordinaire
    Lego

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Convincing my toddler that a daytime nap is a good thing (she isn't being put for a nap, she's putting me for a nap ;) )

And judging the right moment to distract her from the whining that comes after an all out toddler meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Going back a long way - having eyes in the back of my head! My kids were convinced (for a while anyway) that I really could see out of the back of my head, I could say 'x stop doing that' without looking round! I was also pretty good at what my kids called 'the look' which stopped any messing in its tracks.

Hm, both a bit negative really! I was also quite good at miscellaneous entertainments - we played round the house golf with putters and those holey golf balls through 4 rooms that did a circuit. Putting over door sills, especially with a helpful cat is hilarious.

I think I am good at bringing a variety of stimulation and projects and experiences that I also indulge in with them rather than just supervise.

Recently bringing my 7 year old to learn to handle and fire some rifles. Some biology projects with plants and "windowing" chicken eggs to watch chicken babies grow. Teaching them Meditation and JuJitsu and Hunting. Some electronics and chemistry stuff. And loads more.

So I think my super power is harnessing and feeding the natural curiosity and engagement for life and all things new that children have.

That and refusing - and sticking to it - to get a tele in our house.
    Neyite wrote: »
    I'm excellent at doing voices at bedtime stories.

Man I wish I had that. We listened to an audio book read by someone called Cassandra Campbell and she was great. The guy who read the harry potter audio books (Stephen Fry did them all but some other guy did them all too) was wonderful I think.

I read them all the same voice mostly - with some variance in tone between characters. But the kids do not seem to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm fun time Frankie in our house. I spend my days singing, dancing, making up funny stories, being a crazy pony and giving rides around the kitchen. Basically I'm a play centre. A good one.

Advertisement