Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Coleman breaks 60m WR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭seanin4711

and i thought he was just handy at sawker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

seanin4711 wrote: »
    and i thought he was just handy at sawker

Whoops damn auto correct Christian rather than The Welsh Chris 😀

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ha thread title updated!
    Came into thread thinking...he WHAT? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Hard to be sure from this video but looking at a few others he seems to have done most of the work in his drive phase. Amazing to watch.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Hard to be sure from this video but looking at a few others he seems to have done most of the work in his drive phase. Amazing to watch.

Rumours that are starting to circulate that may not be ratified now due to failing to competition failing to meet criteria (have been one of two previous cases of American and Scottish records with the same in recent years)

• Advertisement

Rumours that are starting to circulate that may not be ratified now due to failing to competition failing to meet criteria (have been one of two previous cases of American and Scottish records with the same in recent years)

To follow up on this

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-athletics-coleman/athletics-breaking-the-world-record-the-easy-part-for-coleman-idUSKBN1F90UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what are 'certified' starting blocks?
    If they weren't electronic, does that mean they couldn't detect a false start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Can you imagine the uproar if it had been in Athlone? :pac:

#bloodytypical #pissupinabrewery #onlyinireland

RayCun wrote: »
    what are 'certified' starting blocks?
    If they weren't electronic, does that mean they couldn't detect a false start?

Every piece of equipment including a facility itself needs to be officially approved by IAAF (this can mean approved at manufacturing level as opposed to each individual piece of equipment) I think blocks can be certified without being electronic however depending on the level of accreditation the facility has.

I dunno if I am correct on this one but I believe there are starting systems linking the gun to photo clocking so while they would not measure pressure and reaction times they are still able to detect false starts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's possible they also have different requirements for the features on the starting blocks being used for a 400m hurdles outside than those being used for an indoor 60m where the fractions of a fraction matter even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

6.34 tonight in the US champs. I believe the venue (Albuquerque) is at altitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Impressive but not quite a half second knocked off as reported by the iaaf!
    https://www.iaaf.org/news/report/christian-coleman-world-record-us-indoor-cham

Pherekydes wrote: »
    6.34 tonight in the US champs. I believe the venue (Albuquerque) is at altitude.

At 1600m so not a huge amount. Gives him about a 6.37 conversion which is in line with his Clemson run

Advertisement