Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Esteem in girl

Options
  • 20-01-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi everyone. My daughter is 4.5, is mixed race, and has recently started coming out with "I don't like my brown skin" and "I want to be normal like you". I tell her that her brown skin is beautiful, I try and show her influential women of colour and to show her that we are the same, and that just because she has brown skin doesn't mean she isn't normal. Her father (who is African and where she gets her brown skin from) isn't around much and she is around a lot of white people. She is in an Irish school and there is one other mixed race kid there.

I'm more worried about her self esteem and how much she really means It. I suffered (still suffer) from self esteem issues but try my best not to let her see. I want her to feel confident in herself and to believe her own worth.

Is there anything more I should be doing? I think sometimes she says it for attention because she will say after a while "I like myself now" but being a mother I can't help but worry..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah God bless her. Being so conscious of being “different” is very hard at that age, and hard for Mammy to witness too I am sure.

You mentioned she doesn’t have much contact with the African side of her family... I wonder if there is any way to get her acquainted with a few more black kids in Dublin? Just for her to see that there are lots of other kids who have dark skin and so she doesn’t always feel like she’s different?

Advertisement