Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round hole in garden. Help identifying

Options
  • 20-01-2018 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

In the centre of a piece of ground about the size of a small cup in with. Perfectly round.

It's not near anything of cover.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

corkgsxr wrote: »
    In the centre of a piece of ground about the size of a small cup in with. Perfectly round.

Any ideas?
    My dog digs many holes just like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Any ideas?
    Looks like something a rat would come out of. I had a similar hole in a bank that was down to rats.

Looks like something a rat would come out of. I had a similar hole in a bank that was down to rats.
    Eek!
    Is it a hole or a tunnel entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yup, looks like a ground-pigeon to me. :pac:

vandriver wrote: »
    My dog digs many holes just like that.
    At least I hope it's my dog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

We had a very similar hole in our garden a few years ago.

It was caused by a rat.

We called out pest control. He was able to show us that our garden was at the end of the rat run.

The rat run was going under 3 sets of neighbours’ decking. Its source of food was a neighbour’s bird feeder about 3 doors down. The birds drop some bits from the feeder onto the ground. Happy days for the rat.

We could see the track under decking, fence panels and over gravel. We had no decking so that’s where he surfaced.

We had to put poison in the hole. Sad days for the rat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

We don't have a dog and fencing around is decent.

I though it's very rare for rats to make holes in open areas. Plenty of other options about for a rat in the garden

I put a piece of Storm poison in the hole and collapsed the entrance. A few days later I gathered up the dead rats and disposed of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Did you build your house on an old indian golf course?
    (looks like rat engineering to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

We don't have a dog and fencing around is decent.

Well I’m not sure what criteria are required to label our fencing decent but I think ours is sturdy too. We have concrete slabs at the base of each panel.

The rat deemed it the perfect location anyway!

Do your next door neighbours have decking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Most garden fencing will not keep rats out. According to published statistics, urban dwellers are never more than six metres away from a rat, and in the country they could be even closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I poured a little petrol down a hole like that and waited a few minutes and then threw a burning bit of paper down the hole, made a whoomp and some dirt came out.
    I backfilled it with more soil and no further signs of mining have been present.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I poured a little petrol down a hole like that and waited a few minutes and then threw a burning bit of paper down the hole, made a whoomp and some dirt came out.
    I backfilled it with more soil and no further signs of mining have been present.
    In the words of Arnie the Rat. They'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I had lot of those holes in my garden, they were not tunnels though. They were everywhere, still no idea what make them. Could it be a animal eating large edible roots of weeds? I thought that what it could be

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I hope you took the opportunity shout "FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!" before ignition. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not the shape of the one in the pic, but holes often made by hares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Stick the garden hose in and turn on the tap... See if it fills....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

We'd one of those pop up when we put out bird feed once
    Removed the bird feed, throw down some Nutella covered rat poison down the hole, filled the hole with some stones.
    Tasty death foe the rats.

If you are able to get air flowing down that hole try burning newspaper and blowing down the hole, you may be able to see where the other exits are, they will have at least one usually more holes as exits, once you know where they are then you can start your plan of attack.
    Traps, live or kill traps work well if baited and checked often.
    Poison can be troublesome if you have pets, other animals can get the rat carcass and get poisoned as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭sniperman

get someone with a ferret that knows what they are doing,anything in there will come out,no poison,no smoke,no water etc needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

In the words of Arnie the Rat. They'll be back.

U5du7kBKg9jq8T8Yjs1AnZaSBv7pjVf_1680x8400

sniperman wrote: »
    get someone with a ferret that knows what they are doing,anything in there will come out,no poison,no smoke,no water etc needed

Ferrets!!!
    Ye won't let me have one, ya won't let me watch em on the telly... Well I'm away to buy one now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Ferrets!!!
    Ye won't let me have one, ya won't let me watch em on the telly... Well I'm away to buy one now!!

D'Unbelievables? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Definitely a ratty.no.4 fenn trap outside it covered so cats or dogs won’t be able to get in it and no more ratty

Zebbedee wrote: »
    D'Unbelievables? :)

Dats rite butty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

A update if it helps at all

I threw a smoke pellet that is for testing chimneys down and put a pot on top and I couldn't see it coming out anywhere else

A update if it helps at all

I threw a smoke pellet that is for testing chimneys down and put a pot on top and I couldn't see it coming out anywhere else

Now try a little petrol....

Advertisement