Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX480 to Nvidia 1060 3gb/1050ti Upgrade

Options
  • 20-01-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Have a pc i built a couple of years ago running a Nvidia gtx480 card ( i think its from about 2010 !), looking to upgrade to the 1050ti 4gb or the 1060 3gb model at a stretch.
    Is it just a matter of swapping out the cards? the motherboard is pci express 2.0, but the newer cards are 3.0, am i right in saying it is backwards compatible? :confused:

I having problems with the 480 and windows, everytime i get a windows update the pc wont restart and i have to go into safe mode and delete the 480 drivers to get it up and running again, i could also do with a little more grunt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, I'd stretch to the 1060 as it's way faster though as if you kept the 480 this long and plan keeping this one as long, arguably I'd say you'd need to be looking at the 6GB 1060.

The GTX1050Ti is a great low power card, but it's not a very powerful card - it won't age remotely as well as the GTX480 did as it's a low end card of its day vs high end card of 2010.

If your PC is from 2010 though you'd probably need a full overhaul not so long into the future, so the 1050Ti would do fine for now, in fact your CPU would probably hold it back in many games.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Yep, I'd stretch to the 1060 as it's way faster though as if you kept the 480 this long and plan keeping this one as long, arguably I'd say you'd need to be looking at the 6GB 1060.

The GTX1050Ti is a great low power card, but it's not a very powerful card - it won't age remotely as well as the GTX480 did as it's a low end card of its day vs high end card of 2010.

If your PC is from 2010 though you'd probably need a full overhaul not so long into the future, so the 1050Ti would do fine for now, in fact your CPU would probably hold it back in many games.
    It's running a Core i7 2600K , id love the 6gb card but really can't stretch to it !, Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb is 213 euro on amazon.it but currently out of stock though,cards seem in short supply everywhere !! should there be no problems with changing cards?, is it just a matter of swapping them out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually your CPU is still pretty good in fairness. Yeah, if that's the limit, the 3GB 1060 is fine and €213 is a good price. I think on Amazon you can back-order?

No problem changing cards, just swap them out, just uninstall the old drivers, turn off PC, swap, and turn on again, install new driver. And the 1060 would use a lot less power.

Actually your CPU is still pretty good in fairness. Yeah, if that's the limit, the 3GB 1060 is fine and €213 is a good price. I think on Amazon you can back-order?

No problem changing cards, just swap them out, just uninstall the old drivers, turn off PC, swap, and turn on again, install new driver. And the 1060 would use a lot less power.

Brilliant stuff , thanks for the help - going to back order it on amazon.it ,lowest price i've seen. i've probably been asking silly questions but i haven't gone near the inside of the pc in years !, when i built it first i researched every component and knew it inside out and had planned to watercool and overclock ect... but then when the pc just worked and done what it needed to do i got lazy and left it as is and forgot everything !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Moreilly wrote: »
    coming up £349 for me !

Strange it was £230 when I posted it, maybe it was pricing error.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jason.L

xtal191 wrote: »
    Strange it was £230 when I posted it, maybe it was pricing error.

Nope, just that prices have skyrocketed .

Advertisement