Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Belfast

• 20-01-2018 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

I am living in New Zealand and have a potential job offer in Belfast. I have a wife and 4 kids and have no idea about Belfast. I'm from Donegal but been away 5 years. Can anyone recommend areas to look for accommodation, we are catholic, not a big deal but I probably dont want to rent in a loyalist area. The office is around the east bridge st area if that matters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I would definitely aim for the south of the city. Generally middle-class, good schools, great bars/restaurants/shops, and religion is a non-issue in many places. Think Malone, upper Ormeau, Lisburn Road, Belvoir.

Another nice option is the upper Antrim road (north of Fortwilliam Park but south of Glengormley). Middle class area, mainly Catholic, with great schools. Belfast Castle and cavehill country park on your doorstep, and a 10 min drive from the loughshore walk/pebbly beach at Hazelbank (which is lovely). The waterworks upper lake on the Antrim road is nice too for a run or for swings for the kids and to feed the ducks. Also significantly cheaper than south Belfast... a bit of a hidden jewel.

Avoid east Belfast if you’re worried about religious tensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

If you look at the map and find the area with the Lisburn Rd on the west side and the Castlereagh Rd on the east - most places in between those will be fine.

Use street view to spot flaggy areas etc.

Truth be told, you'd likely not be bothered anywhere unless you're in one of the particularly loyalist enclaves, but south/south east Belfast would be the most mixed/not fussed part of the city...

Advertisement