Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device

Options
  • 20-01-2018 2:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This message comes up now and than on a family member's Win 10 PC. It's fairly sporadic and only happens every few months. Trouble is, I haven't found a solution that works straight away, and a long term fix to stop it happening altogether. Nor is the cause clear. Rebooting generally doesn't work, at least not the first 5-6 times. Crystal Disk Info says the drive is fine, in so as far as that counts for anything.

Bit vague, I know. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Have you set the boot order in the bios?

When the PC starts booting up tap F12 to get in to the settings.

EDIT: Found this MS Answers link. Says the same thing I did to change the boot order.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/how-to-solve-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/7dfbd424-7526-4c20-8d8f-d1cc7e56ad8c?auth=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sometimes when this issue occurs no HD at all shows in the BIOS. Right now, the BIOS has:

Boot option priorities

Boot option 1
    Crucial drive selected i.e.
    AHCI-P1: M4-C, etc

Boot option 2
    CD/DVD drive selected i.e.
    ACHI-P4: TSSTCorp CDDVDW

If this is correct, what's the explanation for the occasional reboot message?

Sometimes when this issue occurs no HD at all shows in the BIOS. Right now, the BIOS has:

Boot option priorities

Boot option 1

Boot option 2

If this is correct, what's the explanation for the occasional reboot message?

So, the drive in it is a Crucial M4 SSD. Can you try to open up the drive and check cabling? Just worried about the PC not picking up the drive as soon as it boots.

That second option is the CD/DVD Drive, just make sure that's not booting first!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

me_irl wrote: »
    So, the drive in it is a Crucial M4 SSD. Can you try to open up the drive and check cabling? Just worried about the PC not picking up the drive as soon as it boots.

That second option is the CD/DVD Drive, just make sure that's not booting first!

You mean "open computer case" , not drive.

You mean "open computer case" , not drive.

...yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

:D
    me_irl wrote: »
    ...yes.

Advertisement