Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Poly Tunnel to our garden in Spring - Recommendations

Options
  • 20-01-2018 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am looking for some recommendations on putting a Poly Tunnel in our garden.

What should we consider!

- We have plenty of space in our garden
    - I would like to have a bed for each of our children & one for ourselves
    so probably 4
    - Is that too big to start off with?
    - Where should I look around for good quality poly tunnels

- Also can you have a type of shelf around inside for other plants such as tomatoes

Would really appreciate some advice on getting started

Thanks so much

Comments

NewLeaf17 wrote: »
    I am looking for some recommendations on putting a Poly Tunnel in our garden.

What should we consider!

- We have plenty of space in our garden
    - I would like to have a bed for each of our children & one for ourselves
    so probably 4
    - Is that too big to start off with?
    - Where should I look around for good quality poly tunnels

- Also can you have a type of shelf around inside for other plants such as tomatoes

Would really appreciate some advice on getting started

Thanks so much

My only advice is get as big as you can afford and have room for. It'll soon be full and if you get a small one you'll regret not going larger. Extending them is quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NewLeaf17

Thanks denartha, yes was thinking that!! but on flip side was worrying if everything dies within it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beeteater

To second denartha I would go with the largest you can afford and/or have space for.

Youtube is full of videos about ventilation etc and you really don't need to water a tunnel too often as long as plants are in good soil rather than pots and you can give a good soak a couple of times a week depending on the weather. There are ways to use passive solar energy in the winter to keep the temp above freezing etc...

Positioning of the tunnel dictates what you can grow well but don't be discouraged if you cannot place in optimum position as either way your growing season will be, for all intents and purposes, year round given careful planning.

There are polytunnel day courses available from the Organic Center, Irish Seed Savers etc.. which you may find valuable in giving hints for variety and management and it is always good to have a chat with other gardeners on the same journey.

We bought our tunnel from John Manning in Clonmel and are very happy with it but there are a number of suppliers with a few different styles so do your research and find one that suits you.

Happy Growing!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Polytunnelsdirect.ie
    You need to do some research on line as to how you use the interior space - raised beds or direct in the ground , how you will irrigate it etc. You will also have to decite whether you want to have the plastic tensioned by just burying in a trench, or have tension boards, which was my preference.
    When you are googling, put in Ireland or UK in your search parameters, so that you don't have to be looking at useless US stuff.
    The link above is for Poly Tunnels Direct, which seems to have the best prices. Their website only gives you the option to buy on line, but they are in County Meath, where they have a premises with some sample tunnels and they don't mind having visitors view them, (preferably on workdays, I got the impression).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Get the thickest plastic you can, will last longer.

I have had temps of over 50 degrees with the doors open, get a few thermometers and put one of them high up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Yea- crucial for me is to have it vented at both ends- temperatures can be ridiculous in a poly, even in Ireland. I went down the greenhouse route, but from talking to people who went poly- the hot tape isn't a luxury (this is the tape that you stick to the support bars where they will be in contact with the plastic)- it prevents these weak spots from fraying with heat expansion/contraction and in high winds.
    Personally, I think it is worth clearing out the topsoil from the full footprint of the site and putting in weed matting with mulch over it around the four sides to prevent weed encroachment.

Advertisement