Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caught Cheating in College Exam

• 20-01-2018 4:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

I had a few sticky notes that were caught on me when going to the bathroom. I told the invigilator that I forgot that they were in my pocket. He walked off with them, and someone else came to say I could go ahead and use the bathroom.

It wasn't anything that would have made a huge difference to my grade. It wasn't until the second week of January that I got an email about it... so I had begun to think that I'd got away with it. But now I've a 'preliminary hearing' this Monday. It'll be awkward. I don't think I'd earn any good will for owning up?

I'm not quite sure what the best case scenario is here. Would it be that they'd just dock x % off my grade, or that they'd make me repeat the module. Worst case scenario, they're probably within their right to make me repeat the year!

What can I expect at this preliminary hearing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

6.5 Assessments undertaken as part of Invigilated Examinations

6.5.1 Where an Invigilator suspects a candidate of cheating, the Senior Invigilator, or at least one otherInvigilator,willbeinformedandaskedtoconfirmtheirsuspicions. Thecandidatewillbe warned that a report will be made to the Student Records and Examinations Officer. Any unauthorised material will be removed from the candidate, who will be allowed to finish the examination. A written report will be made by the Invigilators to the Student Records and Examinations Officer.

6.5.2 A candidate who has been given a verbal warning by the Invigilator that a report will be made to the Student Records and Examinations Officer will be informed in writing by the Student Records and Examinations Officer that the candidate may submit a written statement, before the matter is considered.

6.5.3 The Student Records and Examinations Officer may request a report from the Head of the relevant Department or School where appropriate.

6.5.4 Each alleged case of cheating will be considered in the first instance by the Student Records and Examinations Officer and the Head of the relevant College/Dean of the relevant Faculty or his/her nominee, who will invite the candidate to a meeting to discuss the matter, unless the Head/Dean is a member of the Department or School responsible for the examination in question, in which case the Registrar & Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs may nominate another Head/Dean to act. In the event of the Student Records and Examinations Officer being unable to act, the Registrar & Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs will nominate an alternate.

6.5.5 An Examiner, who, when marking examination scripts, suspects that cheating has taken place will consult the Head of the Department or Head of School or nominee. If the Head or nominee considers that there is evidence that cheating has occurred, he/she will make a written report to the Student Records and Examinations Officer and will warn the candidate that this report has been made. The Head or nominee will also inform the candidate in writing that he/she may submit a written statement to the Student Records and Examinations Officer.

6.5.6 The corresponding reports will be considered by the Student Records and Examinations Officer and the relevant Head/Dean or nominee who will invite the candidate to a meeting to discuss the matter.

6.5.7 Following the meeting with the Student Records and Examinations Officer and relevant Head/Dean, or nominee, if it is considered that there is not a case to answer, the matter will end there and the Student Records and Examinations Officer will so inform the candidate and where relevant the Head of Department or Head of School.

6.5.8 If it is considered by the Student Records and Examinations Officer and the relevant Head/Dean or nominee that there is a case to answer, the Student Records and Examinations Officer will refer the matter to the Registrar & Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs and will accordingly inform in writing both the candidate and, when involved, the relevant Head of Department or Head of School.

6.5.9 The Registrar & Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs and the Chairperson of the Discipline Committee will consider the matter and provide the candidate with an opportunity to present an explanation in writing or orally; if they conclude that cheating has occurred, they will determine an appropriate penalty.

6.5.10 Any lesser penalty than the above, may, include one or more of the following: (a) Assigning a mark of zero for the particular examination concerned

(b) Assigning a mark of zero for all or part of the course/unit/module of which the examination was a component part

(c) Setting aside all or part of the overall examination while permitting the candidate to take the examination again at the next available opportunity or in the following yea

(d) Suspension of the candidate from the university for a period not exceeding two ye
    (e) Permanent exclusion from the university in case of personation
    6.5.11 The penalty will be notified in writing to the candidate by the Registrar & Senior Vice- President for Academic Affairs who will also inform the Head of Department or Head of School where involved.

6.5.12 If the Registrar & Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs and the Chairperson of the Discipline Committee is for any reason unable to act, he/she will nominate a member of the Discipline Committee to act on their behalf.

6.5.13 Students have a right of appeal, where they believe that they have been treated unfairly by the plagiarism procedures. Such appeals would normally be dealt with through the standard UCC Examination Appeals Committee (which has independent legal oversight).

Advertisement