Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bollard on street or plant pots?

Options
  • 20-01-2018 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Looking for advice on getting a bollard on the path in front on my house.

I live in city centre Dublin in one of the many front door straight onto the footpath Victorian terraces.

I’m right at the end of the terrace on the corner, cars frequently bump up onto the path to squeeze by eachother to get around the corner and I’ve been concerned about this for awhile as traffic on the street gets worse.

Today I was in the house when a car hit the corner of my house and drove off.

I want to try get the council to put in bollards to stop this happening.

How hard is it to get them to do this?

Alternatively I could put something out on the road to block cars from getting too close to the house like a large plant pot full of concrete?

Anyone know any rules/laws saying I can’t do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I would say put the plant pot there. The council aren't that great at maintaining things or dealing with issues as you can see by numerous cluttered objects around the city, derelict phone boxes, potholes etc..basically your plant pot would be way down he list of priority issues so go for it.Lots of shops with illegal signage and stuff are hounded by the council to remove it and they never do..theyre not that powerful. You might get a letter saying to move it, I would say you do in fact need planning permission, but if so either just move it or apply for retention permission. You have decent grounds for it seeing as cars are damaging your house

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wouldn't put the plant pot out for 2 reasons.
    Someone might vandalise or nick it.
    If someone goes tumbling over it you might be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Traffic cones maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cones will be swiped.

Find a councillor in your municipal district that actually does their job. That excludes the shouty ranty party ones and most independents, local issues are irrelevant to them and your head will be melted within 90 seconds of talking to them.

Go to them with photos of the corner, any damage to the house etc.

It should not be a problem to get the council to at install those flappy poles that can still damage a car sufficiently when they hit them to stop it being done by choice - but councils are fecking awful at listening to the actual LPT payers and you need a councillor as the interface. They are very cheap, but they aren't something you can legally install yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Take photos of the damage and of the junction.
    Highlight your problems to the roads and traffic dept of the council and see if they will help.

No harm asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

I've found the website "fixmystreet.ie" to be an effective way of getting smallish things done. You just log your issue on the site, with a photo, and the website administrators contact the relevant council/authority to try and get it resolved.

I have got two issues (offensive graffiti, and a dangerous pavement) sorted out this way. Even if it doesn't work, it's free and simple to log a request, so nothing lost by doing so.

Advertisement