Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New work problems

Options
  • 20-01-2018 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice. Started a new job before xmas. Everyone was really nice at first.
    This week gone there has been a few comments made to me by my boss. I feel like im being watched and anything i do or say is being reported back. I also found out that 2 of my colleagues went looking at my work contract which was on my desk but in a sealed envelope. Found out my salary and also said this to the manager. Im shocked and disgusted by the invasion of my privacy. I feel like im being alienated and not really being given a chance i spoke to my manager and the md and expressed my concern. They were really nice and supportive. I just dont feel right about the job now though. Is it too much too soon. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

It doesn't sound like you're a good fit for the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Your boss made comments to you? That's kind of his role, assuming work related.

The two tools that took a look at your salary, it's a violation, for sure... but to walk away from a job because of it - really?

Would I be right in thinking this is one of your first jobs? You may need to develop a thicker skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Willow30

Tenigate wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like you're a good fit for the company.
    Im not a good fit because the people and snooping and causing trouble for me already..?

Your boss made comments to you? That's kind of his role, assuming work related.

The two tools that took a look at your salary, it's a violation, for sure... but to walk away from a job because of it - really?

Would I be right in thinking this is one of your first jobs? You may need to develop a thicker skin.

I have no problem my boss talking to me about what im doing right and wrong. Its a new role and im trying to fit in but it is all new to me

I have worked in many roles prebiously and always had a good relationship with colleagues customers etc..

I just feel really sad that im only in the door and there is issues already. I just want to know the best way to deal with it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What sort of comments did your boss make to you?

I left 10 minutes early for a doctor's apt on Tuesday boss was gone so i said it to the next person in line. The man in question who i found out snooped at my contract. My boss assumed i just left without asking!

I took a call and obviously some one thought i didnt handle it correctly

Both were said to me

Willow30 wrote: »
    I left 10 minutes early for a doctor's apt on Tuesday boss was gone so i said it to the next person in line. The man in question who i found out snooped at my contract. My boss assumed i just left without asking!

Both were said to me

I see you asked permission, but without much notice.

Both seemed entirely reasonable discussions to be had with you.

Patww79 wrote: »

If they're not heavily disciplined for doing it then it would probably be a good idea to start looking as you'd be on a hiding to nothing in a cliquey place like that.[/quote]
    I think they should be. Should i follow it up. Managers said theyll keep an eye on things and follow it up

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

That was not right, and should be reprimanded. But, leaving a job even if they aren't? It'd be a factor, but not if it was the only thing.

The OP seems concerned that his manager is raising two issues that his manager has a right to bring up.

Both were said to me

Did you ask permission to leave and if so from whom if not your boss?

Both seemed entirely reasonable discussions to be had with you.[/quote

Of course no managers were there so i said it to the person next in line. The snow was very bad and i was suffering from a kidney infection. My apt was after 5 but i left 10 minutes earlier due to weather conditions

I think your missing me point the problem isnt my boss making comments to me its my collegues and them causing trouble for me and violating my privacy

Of course no managers were there so i said it to the person next in line. The snow was very bad and i was suffering from a kidney infection. My apt was after 5 but i left 10 minutes earlier due to weather conditions

I think your missing me point the problem isnt my boss making comments to me its my collegues and them causing trouble for me and violating my privacy

Leaving early even if for a good reason requires mention, especially as no manager was there to give permission - you might want to get their phone number in future. And if you've no problem with your boss discussing things with you why did you raise it here?

Leaving early even if for a good reason requires mention, especially as no manager was there to give permission - you might want to get their phone number in future. And if you've no problem with your boss discussing things with you why did you raise it here?
    Ive already said what my issue is..i also did mention it to the next person in line if no manager is present. Im sorry but are you reading my posts. Im very upset and anxious about going into an environment were i feel im being alienated and where i have no privacy

Ive already said what my issue is..i also did mention it to the next person in line if no manager is present. Im sorry but are you reading my posts. Im very upset and anxious about going into an environment were i feel im being alienated and where i have no privacy

Okay, there's only one issue, the lack of privacy. They've read your contract and know your salary. Nobody can say this isn't important to you. It seems to be. For me it'd need to be medical records or such before I'd consider it very serious.

What do you want your managers to do? Sack the two employees? This is unlikely due to employment protection.

Be clear in your mind what you would like done (bearing in mind the limitations the employers are under) and go talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Pushing to have the two employees disciplined for looking at your contract is only going to alienate you further with your new colleagues. However that would seriously piss me off if it happened me so I understand your frustration

Pushing to have the two employees disciplined for looking at your contract is only going to alienate you further with your new colleagues. However that would seriously piss me off if it happened me so I understand your frustration
    Thanks - its not a great start really

Willow30 wrote:

Its not unfortunately.

Did you catch them opening your contract or did someone tell you about it?

Patww79 wrote:

I agree. If the OP makes a formal complaint and nothing is done about it then I would suggest the OP look for a different job if at all possible as the environment would appear to be toxic as you pointed out

• Advertisement

Willow30 wrote:

Its not unfortunately.

Did you catch them opening your contract or did someone tell you about it?

I was told by management. I think they assumed i was carelessly leaving it out on view for everyone to see. I advised it was in an envelope and could only have been seen if someone opened it. I expressed my concern at them invading my privacy. I was imagine very little will be done to be honest. I also feel im not in a very strong position as im only in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Why did you leave your contract on your desk at work? Even if it’s in an envelope, that’s not exactly secure. You are just as responsible for making sure confident information like that is not easily accessible to anyone else.

The doctor thing is also your responsibility as you should have flagged it with your manager as soon as you got the appointment and certainly before they left.

As for your colleagues being reprimanded, how do you know they haven’t been? You made the complaint and after that, it’s none of your business and your managers are not expected to keep you informed of how it’s being dealt with.

I agree with other posters who say you seem quite naive on working in a professional environment. You would do well to keep your head down and just get on with it from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

Management is probably concerned that you left a private document unsecured on your desk while you were away; that's not a good habit, and while they may not be terribly worried about another employee seeing your contract specifically, they would certainly have been alarmed if it had been confidential company data (customer information, business plans, etc.) and was viewed by someone who wasn't authorized to see it. Data security is a very big deal these days, and an envelope is not sufficient to keep such things away from prying eyes (as you've now learned). You should get into the habit of locking all your paperwork in your drawers or filing cabinets every time you leave your desk. If you don't have a locking cabinet, talk to your management about obtaining one; it will demonstrate that you understand the importance of keeping things secure and are actively working on a solution instead of ignoring the problem.

As to the issue of leaving early, was this an emergency of some sort? If you knew about the appointment ahead of time, you should have notified your boss that you might have to leave a few minutes early in good time, not just waited until you were actually walking out the door on the day of. All you can really do now is apologize to your boss for not notifying them ahead of time and assure them that it won't happen again, but it's a small enough mistake really, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Everyone errs from time to time, but as long as you're willing to take responsibility for your mistakes and take steps to ensure they don't happen again, you'll usually do well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

dennyk wrote: »
    Management is probably concerned that you left a private document unsecured on your desk while you were away; that's not a good habit, and while they may not be terribly worried about another employee seeing your contract specifically, they would certainly have been alarmed if it had been confidential company data (customer information, business plans, etc.) and was viewed by someone who wasn't authorized to see it. Data security is a very big deal these days, and an envelope is not sufficient to keep such things away from prying eyes (as you've now learned). You should get into the habit of locking all your paperwork in your drawers or filing cabinets every time you leave your desk. If you don't have a locking cabinet, talk to your management about obtaining one; it will demonstrate that you understand the importance of keeping things secure and are actively working on a solution instead of ignoring the problem.

As to the issue of leaving early, was this an emergency of some sort? If you knew about the appointment ahead of time, you should have notified your boss that you might have to leave a few minutes early in good time, not just waited until you were actually walking out the door on the day of. All you can really do now is apologize to your boss for not notifying them ahead of time and assure them that it won't happen again, but it's a small enough mistake really, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Everyone errs from time to time, but as long as you're willing to take responsibility for your mistakes and take steps to ensure they don't happen again, you'll usually do well enough.

I am really at a loss as to how the point regarding a sealed envelope on a persons desk being opened by 2 snoops is twisted to becomes a point against the person who's privacy has been violated. I've worked in several environments and in none of them would opening a sealed envelope on a colleagues desk without their knowledge or permission be seen as acceptable. Before trotting out this "learn from this lapse and try to do better" horse manure please ask yourself how you would feel if someone opened a sealed envelope on your desk, bench, in your van etc. etc. I suspect most people would be outraged.
    Why not go into your bosses office and open a sealed envelope there and go through the contents. Would your boss shrug his/her shoulders and silently vow to try to do a better in future? I imagine that you would be going home with your large intestine wound around your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I've worked in several environments and in none of them would opening a sealed envelope on a colleagues desk without their knowledge or permission be seen as acceptable.

No one is saying it’s acceptable. However it’s fair to say both parties are at fault here.

The snoopers should be reprimanded (OP doesn’t get to be made aware of how though) AND the OP should be pulled up on their poor security practices. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Batgurl wrote: »
    No one is saying it’s acceptable. However it’s fair to say both parties are at fault here.

The snoopers should be reprimanded (OP doesn’t get to be made aware of how though) AND the OP should be pulled up on their poor security practices. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

My fundamental point is that a sealed envelope on your desk with your contract in it is not in my view a poor security practice.

The debate is taking the direction of the person offended against being made to feel that they are in the wrong. I don't like that. That blaming approach will make it more difficult for the person who is already facing an uphill battle to stand up for themselves.

My fundamental point is that a sealed envelope on your desk with your contract in it is not in my view a poor security practice.

I'd very much agree with you on this. The OP should be allowed to have a sealed (or even unsealed) envelope on her desk and expect it not to be interfered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

I am really at a loss as to how the point regarding a sealed envelope on a persons desk being opened by 2 snoops is twisted to becomes a point against the person who's privacy has been violated.

Of course it's absolutely unacceptable to snoop through other people's private papers or belongings, but the OP was wondering why management brought the matter to their attention in the first place, and the reason is most likely that they want the OP to be more careful in the future about securing company information, which is a perfectly reasonable concern.

Hopefully the snoops have at least gotten a good lashing from management about their inappropriate behavior, or better yet some sort of formal write-up, but it would be inappropriate for management to share the details of that with the OP regardless; whatever disciplinary measures were taken are a private matter between the company and those two employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Escapees

Can't help but wonder if it really was a 'sealed' envelope? Also, there's been no mention of whether the envelope had any markings on it such as the OP's name etc. Presume the nosey colleagues used this fact as a get out of jail card or else the story doesn't quite add up.

I can imagine the crap that this has raised for mgt, especially if it emerged that the OP was on a better salary package than colleagues doing a similar role! This situation isn't unusual but noone except mgt and accounts ever know about it!!

• Advertisement

dennyk wrote: »
    Hopefully the snoops have at least gotten a good lashing from management about their inappropriate behavior, or better yet some sort of formal write-up, but it would be inappropriate for management to share the details of that with the OP regardless; whatever disciplinary measures were taken are a private matter between the company and those two employees.

Well if the snoops felt that they could opened a sealed envelope on a colleagues desk and then go and discuss the contents with the boss I wouldn't hold out much hope for their being disciplined. Unfortunately the OP hasn't told us what the boss said in reference to the rifling of his/her property so all discussion around that is speculation.

Advertisement