Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New work problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Willow30

Batgurl wrote: »
    No one is saying it’s acceptable. However it’s fair to say both parties are at fault here.

The snoopers should be reprimanded (OP doesn’t get to be made aware of how though) AND the OP should be pulled up on their poor security practices. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

My fundamental point is that a sealed envelope on your desk with your contract in it is not in my view a poor security practice.

The debate is taking the direction of the person offended against being made to feel that they are in the wrong. I don't like that. That blaming approach will make it more difficult for the person who is already facing an uphill battle to stand up for themselves.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

dennyk wrote: »
    Management is probably concerned that you left a private document unsecured on your desk ....

Its not ok to go through any paperwork on someone's else desk. Especially if its in an envelope.

You seem to think its ok. Its not.

Hopefully the snoops have at least gotten a good lashing from management about their inappropriate behavior, or better yet some sort of formal write-up, but it would be inappropriate for management to share the details of that with the OP regardless; whatever disciplinary measures were taken are a private matter between the company and those two employees.

Well if the snoops felt that they could opened a sealed envelope on a colleagues desk and then go and discuss the contents with the boss I wouldn't hold out much hope for their being disciplined. Unfortunately the OP hasn't told us what the boss said in reference to the rifling of his/her property so all discussion around that is speculation.

He has said there will be serious words had.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Willow30 wrote: »
    He has said there will be serious words had.

If that's the boss's view then you might still get a fair shake with this employer.

I think in every job you meet people who you realize can't be trusted, and you just work around that.

You might also have to consider trying to have a paperless desk if there is a culture of snooping that isn't being dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

beauf wrote: »
    Its not ok to go through any paperwork on someone's else desk. Especially if its in an envelope.

Where did I say it was OK for someone to go through it? Of course it's not. However, unscrupulous people exist, and most companies will reasonably expect their employees to take measures to secure sensitive data in their possession lest it fall into the hands of said people. It's not a matter of blame or of it being "OK" to steal private information, it's just practical advice on how to prevent such a situation from occurring in the first place.

Most people would tell you it's a good idea to lock your car doors when you leave your car parked somewhere; does that mean they all think it's OK to steal stuff from your car if it's unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Are you generally prone to drama?

tomwaits48 wrote: »

Excuse me?? Im not but i don't know what that got to do with anything or this situation. Im new to a job and my privacy has been this invaded. The while atmosphere sucks but its my fault in some peoples views!!

I

Where did I say it was OK for someone to go through it? Of course it's not. However, unscrupulous people exist, and most companies will reasonably expect their employees to take measures to secure sensitive data in their possession lest it fall into the hands of said people. It's not a matter of blame or of it being "OK" to steal private information, it's just practical advice on how to prevent such a situation from occurring in the first place.

Most people would tell you it's a good idea to lock your car doors when you leave your car parked somewhere; does that mean they all think it's OK to steal stuff from your car if it's unlocked?

Victim blaming is means to justify the unjustifiable. An office and professional work environment is nothing like parking a car in a public place. It's very odd that you think it is.

Maybe they should have a safe on ever desk and a security guard beside each one. Where does it end...It's not mission impossible. No place can work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Victim blaming is means to justify the unjustifiable. An office and professional work environment is nothing like parking a car in a public place. It's very odd that you think it is.

Maybe they should have a safe on ever desk and a security guard beside each one. Where does it end...It's not mission impossible. No place can work like that.

Ah come on, the point being made was a valid one. It's not saying that the reprimand for both pieces are the same but having a chat to the OP about security of documents at work isn't a bad one to have. It's not victim blaming at all but people do have to take some personal responsibility for the safety of documents at work.

All of my workplaces have told us to secure documents if we're leaving our desks and mobile phones. Most offices provide a locker with a key in it for this purpose. I had one manager who would remove documents and phones from people's desks during lunch to teach this lesson. Obviously it depends on the department you work in but with the new data security regulations coming in shortly, it is something that companies are terrified about and will be drilling into staff I'd say. Otherwise the fines if information was obtained are massive.

OP if your manager has said that they will talk to the 2 individuals about reading the contract, then I would suggest trusting this and letting it go from your side. It sounds like they are taking it serious but you have no right to know about the outcome of that discussion same way as they had no right to know the details of your contract.

In regards the other issue with the phone call. I wouldn't see this as an issue to be honest. I've worked in places where employees were encouraged to talk to management if they felt a colleague hadn't handled a call with a client well and it would then be looked into and seen. If it's a malicious complaint, then that will show very quickly. It could also be a case that, as you're new, they were asked to keep an eye.

• Advertisement

There is a world of a difference in having a policy about keeping all documents under lock and key.

... and having no policy and people opening sealed envelopes on other people desks without having any valid reason to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Tenigate wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like you're a good fit for the company.
    There by the grace of God goes I...

If you have nothing helpful to contribute, then just shut up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

OP, did you have any Data Privacy training provided to you in this new workplace?
    I'm in no way blaming you but I'm wondering if there are two separate breaches of any potential policy, first with you leaving it on your desk (sealed envelope or no) and then those eejits looking at the data.

Regarding leaving early, you just need to take that on the chin. Chalk it down to "new management practices" and learn the process. Also drop the manager a mail too letting them know of your whereabouts, I've always done this to cover myself (provided the early finish was approved already).

Willow30 wrote: »
    I left 10 minutes early for a doctor's apt on Tuesday boss was gone so i said it to the next person in line. The man in question who i found out snooped at my contract. My boss assumed i just left without asking!

I took a call and obviously some one thought i didnt handle it correctly

Both were said to me
    You need to be careful - these issues that you're mentioning may not be all that uncommon - I don't obviously have all the facts, there are a lot of nasty backstabbers out there from what I'm hearing.

I'd very much agree with you on this. The OP should be allowed to have a sealed (or even unsealed) envelope on her desk and expect it not to be interfered with.
    I certainly would expect people to have a little bit of manners - especially in a professional environment - really, the standards are low!

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Drama? - If my documents were snooped upon, you'd know all about drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

There is a world of a difference in having a policy about keeping all documents under lock and key.

... and having no policy and people opening sealed envelopes on other people desks without having any valid reason to do.

And I'm in no way defending what they did at all. It was wrong and unprofessional.
    However management having a chat to the OP about documents on desk is not belittling what was done at all. It's not blaming the OP for the others actions.
    Middle Man wrote: »
    I certainly would expect people to have a little bit of manners - especially in a professional environment - really, the standards are low!

Manners are one thing but people can be nosey and just because you work in a professional environment does not mean that everyone is a professional by nature. I trust my colleagues completely but I wouldn't leave my payslip on my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely sounds like there's a bit of a cliquey, whispery work environment going on. Wasters who've been there forever doing their best to bring the newbie down a peg or two and teach them their place.

Who would tell the boss that you left ten minutes early in the first place? And making a complaint that you didn't handle a single call correctly?

Sounds like some weasely crap on going on. You've not been there long, so I would be inclined to tough it out for a while, just be aware that there are eyes and ears everywhere, dying to curry some favour with the boss by pointing out everyone's transgressions. Keep an eye out for better opportunities and jump ship when something better comes along.

As others say, the fact that they saw fit to snoop on your desk and didn't fear discipline for it, indicates that it's probably not the kind of place you want to be long-term.

seamus wrote: »
    Definitely sounds like there's a bit of a cliquey, whispery work environment going on. Wasters who've been there forever doing their best to bring the newbie down a peg or two and teach them their place
    <snip>
    I've heard a lot of that sort thing going on from time to time - it's disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

Hi Willow30

My two cents,

Keep your head down and tough this job out for a while longer to try last 6-12 months if you are fairly new? (assuming you are), as you won't want a gap on your CV as sometimes it brings questions upon yourself (speaking from my personal experience). But in saying that I would most certainly be looking for other opportunities in the mean time, because:
    1. It is not normal or OK, for someone to snoop through your stuff.
    2. Your boss should have disciplined them for doing that. A strong talking to isn't good enough, They should be made apologise. Its promoting bad feeling amongst you all.
    3. Telling on you for leaving 10 min's early for a doctors appointment, shows they have an issue with you. What did they hope to gain from that.
    4. This information being fed back to the boss might be twisted to make you sound worse, so your boss is worse for listening to it. Its a sign that he/she isn't a great boss.

If you were to get an interview for another role in the time you are in this job, You could always say it wasn't challenging enough etc, put a positive spin on why you are leaving.

All I know is working in a toxic place is tough on your mental health, so I wish you the best of luck. People being mean to you for no reason isn't cool. Try not to let it get you down. And if it really is effecting you, get out of there. Life is too short. Work to live, don't live to work. :)

• Advertisement

Time for a bit of glitter in your letters...

Thanks for all your advice

Advertisement