Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed Lights flickering

Options
  • 20-01-2018 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have recessed LED lights in my living room and recently one bank began flickering a minutes after turning them on. At first it was barely noticeable but now a month later they are going like Christmas lights. They do that for about 5 or 6 minutes and then they're fine for the rest of the night. I'm worried that it might be a fire hazard, and I don't turn them on now as I have other lamps in the room.
    Any advice on what it might be would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hi guys,
    I have recessed LED lights in my living room and recently one bank began flickering a minutes after turning them on. At first it was barely noticeable but now a month later they are going like Christmas lights. They do that for about 5 or 6 minutes and then they're fine for the rest of the night. I'm worried that it might be a fire hazard, and I don't turn them on now as I have other lamps in the room.
    Cheers

Sounds like a loose connection

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Sounds like a loose connection

I thought it might be. I'd better call in an electrician.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It could also be a faulty lamp.
    Try swapping it with one that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Is there a dimmer controlling them? If there is another thing it could be is an incorrect type of dimmer switch. LEDs require a switch that has been designed to dim them. Probably best to get a qualified electrician to check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is is the entire bank or just one lamp?

LEDs tend to flicker like this before they die.

If you still have a receipt, bring it back - most have a 3 or 5 year warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

It's probably the dimmer. No idea why but some of them seem to work fine for a few weeks or even months then they start flickering when you set the dimmer low. Go to your nearest wholesaler , bring one of the bulbs and ask for a suitable dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi guys,
    Cheers

I had this issue with one of my lights and it turned out to be the LED driver. Replaced the driver and it solved the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

kramer1 wrote: »
    It's probably the dimmer. No idea why but some of them seem to work fine for a few weeks or even months then they start flickering when you set the dimmer low. Go to your nearest wholesaler , bring one of the bulbs and ask for a suitable dimmer.

I've lived here for 4 years without a problem with the lights. My place was only built in 2006, and in the time I've been here I have only replaced one bulb. The other bank in the room has the same type of dimmer switch and there's no problem there. I think the best thing would be to have an electrician check it out. It's just difficult getting qualified people these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭highdef

If the lights are connected to a dimmer, how many bulbs are connected to it? What is the total wattage of the bulbs? What is the min/max wattage of the dimmer switch? If you remove the switch face plate, the min/max ratings should be printed on the back.

Many dimmer switches have a minimum load of about 40w so it's very plausible that the dimmer switch (again, assuming you have one) is being under driven.

Advertisement