Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let go after almost 8 years.

Options
  • 20-01-2018 6:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 23

Hoping someone can help me with this.

I was approached by my new manager yesterday and told I'm being let go as a restructure will mean I am no longer needed. I work in a large shed with one other person and I approached him for a warm jacket one day and he basically told me to go get my own despite numerous other employees being given one. We had a bit of a disagreement on this and I believe he's now getting rid of me to teach others a lesson as he's new. He says I'm always late and I am because I work thorough breaks on busy days and my previous boss told me if I worked through breaks or had to stay a little late some days to take the time off the following morning. Which was fine by me. But this guy does not like it. He has no idea of my working times as he's in his office on a site opposite to where I work. I only see him 2 or 3 times a week. I told him a few weeks previous that I had a interview for another job (job relating to and evening degree I'm currently doing) coming up and that I was hoping to leave at the end of January. He didn't like this either.

He told me I can see out my time until January 30th then I'm out of a job. I told him what he was doing was illegal and he said if you're threatening legal action against the company, "you can fcuk off now". I worked out my day as I wanted to say goodbye to a few colleagues. I was distraught and shocked.

I work 8-5 mon-thurs and 8-3 on Fridays. I get paid €375 (shocking wages after almost 8 years) every week but for some reason I got €360 for this week. I've no idea why. I also get a fill of diesel from my workplace every second week which is worth about €40 per week. Also, I was never given a contract of employment by this company and when I mentioned this to him yesterday he said "So what? I don't have one either".

I text him last night asking him to reconsider as I just want my job back. He never replied.

I'm scared and worried now as I've bills and college fees to pay. What next? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,747 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Has there been any official warning given to you previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Did you ever get payslips or P60s? Do you know if your PRSI was being paid?
    I ask because the employer's attitude suggests that he is sure you have no rights, maybe because you were never on his books. Does this guy own the business?

At a minimum you are entitled to notice, or pay in lieu of same, and redundancy pay of 2 weeks per year of employment. If you can't sort this out with his boss or the owner then I think legal advice and probably the Workplace Relations Commission is your best bet. Hopefully once you make noises about fighting for your rights they'll come around and either reinstate you or pay you your dues. Otherwise the legal route could take a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Mr. Rahm wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help me with this.

I was approached by my new manager yesterday and told I'm being let go as a restructure will mean I am no longer needed. I work in a large shed with one other person and I approached him for a warm jacket one day and he basically told me to go get my own despite numerous other employees being given one. We had a bit of a disagreement on this and I believe he's now getting rid of me to teach others a lesson as he's new. He says I'm always late and I am because I work thorough breaks on busy days and my previous boss told me if I worked through breaks or had to stay a little late some days to take the time off the following morning. Which was fine by me. But this guy does not like it. He has no idea of my working times as he's in his office on a site opposite to where I work. I only see him 2 or 3 times a week. I told him a few weeks previous that I had a interview for another job (job relating to and evening degree I'm currently doing) coming up and that I was hoping to leave at the end of January. He didn't like this either.

He told me I can see out my time until January 30th then I'm out of a job. I told him what he was doing was illegal and he said if you're threatening legal action against the company, "you can fcuk off now". I worked out my day as I wanted to say goodbye to a few colleagues. I was distraught and shocked.

I work 8-5 mon-thurs and 8-3 on Fridays. I get paid €375 (shocking wages after almost 8 years) every week but for some reason I got €360 for this week. I've no idea why. I also get a fill of diesel from my workplace every second week which is worth about €40 per week. Also, I was never given a contract of employment by this company and when I mentioned this to him yesterday he said "So what? I don't have one either".

I text him last night asking him to reconsider as I just want my job back. He never replied.

I'm scared and worried now as I've bills and college fees to pay. What next? :(

There's so much in this and no one comes out looking like Einstein here. Not sure if I'll cover all the points, but here's some.

Was there a disciplinary procedure, if not and it's not a redundancy take them to the WRC. If it was a redundancy then you are owed 17 weeks pay. Basically this manager is a clown.

There may be a customs and practice case to allow you to come in work late, but frankly you were not acting the smartest turning up late with a new manager, did you not think to run this by them? BTW, I wouldn't want you waltzing in later either.

WHY did you tell him you went for another interview - did you lose your cool with him? It's possible he may use this as you handing in your notice. No proof, but that's what he might say. Filling up with Diesel and not paying BIK unless you use it for work (but that's not what I'm getting from this) is not right either. So, your defrauding the state. Nothing major, but if you believe in karma :P

You should of course got a contract.

You should go over his head to his boss/company owner, ask for job back, get redundancy or sue for wrongful dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Straight to a solicitor. Sounds like a bunch of arseholes who think they can rail road over you and rob you of your statutory rights.
    I wouldn’t normally recommend going immediately down the legal route but this sounds like one of those instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

You sound like a great worker OP.

Unfortunately with a new boss, the old promises are gone so showing up late was a bad habit to keep up without talking to the new manager.

Keep the head up there's loads of places that cry out for hard working people.

Good luck with whatever comes of this.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 23 Mr. Rahm

Has there been any official warning given to you previously?
    I got a final written warning last March as I was accused of stealing diesel but the changed their mind when they realised they had made a mistake. They never even apologised for this. This company treat their employees like dirt except the ones who are related to each other. There's a few people working here who are related to management.
    milltown wrote: »
    Did you ever get payslips or P60s? Do you know if your PRSI was being paid?
    I ask because the employer's attitude suggests that he is sure you have no rights, maybe because you were never on his books. Does this guy own the business?

At a minimum you are entitled to notice, or pay in lieu of same, and redundancy pay of 2 weeks per year of employment. If you can't sort this out with his boss or the owner then I think legal advice and probably the Workplace Relations Commission is your best bet. Hopefully once you make noises about fighting for your rights they'll come around and either reinstate you or pay you your dues. Otherwise the legal route could take a while.
    I get payslips every week. There's no problem that way.

He doesn't own the business. He took over from another manager in December (a relation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Have you actually been sacked? I'd be turning up for work on Monday, on time. If he tells you to leave get clarification on why and take it from there. If you have been sacked I'd go straight to a solicitor, sounds like you'd have a case for unfair dismissal.

Just for future reference never tell a current employer that you are looking for a new job, there is never a benefit to you in doing so and will most likely only piss of your current boss. Given you are doing a night course they would assume you are going to leave at some point.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Would I be wrong by saying it's got constructive dismissal written all over it? Docking wages. Been refused warm PPE. A change in established and accepted work practices even if they are unwritten.

Have you actually been sacked? I'd be turning up for work on Monday, on time. If he tells you to leave get clarification on why and take it from there. If you have been sacked I'd go straight to a solicitor, sounds like you'd have a case for unfair dismissal.

Just for future reference never tell a current employer that you are looking for a new job, there is never a benefit to you in doing so and will most likely only piss of your current boss. Given you are doing a night course they would assume you are going to leave at some point.
    He said go now or work until January 30th but then told me to fcuk off when I told him what he was doing was illegal.

I told my previous boss and he was fine with it. At the start he came up to me and said fair play for trying to better myself and if I needed a reference to put his name and number down but this new guy is trying to show who's boss by getting rid of me. He knows he could save €100 a week by getting someone else in as there's loads of non-nationals working here on minimum wage.

There's a was a stage here when 3 forklifts were being used but not one person on site held a forklift licence and I mentioned that staff should get training as the place was an accident waiting to happen. They've one old guy working here (another relation) and he's blind in one eye but is let drive machinery and has crashed into various things on numerous occasion. I refuse to work with this guy as I'm afraid he'll injure or kill me. They also did not like this.

They cut corners constantly and do not care for employee welfare at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

definitely a case of unfair dismissal , get professional advise ,looks like this clown is chancing his arm and could maybe want to bring in one of his family or friends at your expense . this behaviour has become to common in the workplace in recent years and a lot of cases is illegal so good luck with everything

• Advertisement

Op.
    Write everything down that has happened and date it if possible.
    Turn up for on time from now and don't take any more diesel.
    In other words cover your arse and let this tool walk himself into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

a one eyed forklift driver with no ticket jesus their insurer would love to hear this and so would the h.s.a , do you have a safe pass

koutoubia wrote: »
    Op.
    Write everything down that has happened and date it if possible.
    Turn up for on time from now and don't take any more diesel.
    In other words cover your arse and let this tool walk himself into trouble.
    But I can't go back, he told me to fcuk off and said if I came back to work he wouldn't be paying me. The diesel is part of my wages. They get it cheap.
    shafty100 wrote: »
    a one eyed forklift driver with no ticket jesus their insurer would love to hear this and so would the h.s.a , do you have a safe pass
    No, I don't have a safe pass. It's a commercial farm so not sure I need one.

One employee was almost killed about 3 years ago. He was filling up a large tank and the concrete beams collapsed underneath as the tank was too heavy. He broke his arm and has never been the same since. I'm not even sure this was reported to the HSA as I believe they paid him his wages for the year he missed. All hush hush.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

road_high wrote:
    Straight to a solicitor. Sounds like a bunch of arseholes who think they can rail road over you and rob you of your statutory rights. I wouldn’t normally recommend going immediately down the legal route but this sounds like one of those instances.

There is no point in going to the solicitor before being let go. Op you should go above the manager to the directors to let them know that the manager is getting to force you out illegally. A WC car would be a straight win, and your new manager sounds like he has no experience if he doesnt know the procedures that need to be followed.

Is be careful about taking the diesel fills off you don't have any way to prove that it is practice and approved. Can your previous manager back you up about that?
    Mr. Rahm wrote:
    One employee was almost killed about 3 years ago. He was filling up a large tank and the concrete beams collapsed underneath as the tank was too heavy. He broke his arm and has never been the same since. I'm not even sure this was reported to the HSA as I believe they paid him his wages for the year he missed. All hush hush.

If be reporting that to the HSA. It sounds like it's an unsafe operation with more potential life endangering accidents waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Think of it as an investment, you will get about 9k in 18 months time.

On Monday talk to a solicitor.

There is no point in going to the solicitor before being let go. Op you should go above the manager to the directors to let them know that the manager is getting to force you out illegally. A WC car would be a straight win, and your new manager sounds like he has no experience if he doesnt know the procedures that need to be followed.

Is be careful about taking the diesel fills off you don't have any way to prove that it is practice and approved. Can your previous manager back you up about that?

If be reporting that to the HSA. It sounds like it's an unsafe operation with more potential life endangering accidents waiting to happen.
    The old manager and new manager are related so I doubt it. 6 or 7 people get the diesel fills and there's a tank there with a dial on it so I'd say it'd be easy to prove. I asked for more money about two years ago and the diesel was given to me instead of a wage increase. Saves them money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What else had happened that you ended up with a final warning?

It doesn't sound like you've a stellar record here to be honest

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Think of it as an investment, you will get about 9k in 18 months time.

On Monday talk to a solicitor.
    I'd rather my job back as I need the money. It wouldn't be too bad because I don't see my manager very often. I also want to leave on my own terms and with a reference. (probably ask a supervisor for one).

Stheno wrote: »
    What else had happened that you ended up with a final warning?

It doesn't sound like you've a stellar record here to be honest
    Verbal warnings for leaving early. I came in one day dying with a cold and left 30 minutes early to get to the chemist before it shut. And he warned me for it. Apart for a bout of glandular fever in 2016, I've never missed a day.

I came in on days off on a few occasions and they never paid me for some of them despite me constantly reminding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

Go to work on Monday. Being told to F off is NOT the same as being told that you're fired. Subtle but key difference.

• Advertisement

Being told to Fook Off is not an official way to be sacked.
    Take it easy tonight and take stock tomorrow.
    Put everything you said here and anything else in writing with dates.
    Go into work on Monday as normal and if he tells you to Fook off ask why and then ask for it in writing.
    Then get up to the dole office and then get in touch with a solicitor the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sounds like you're better off without this absolute joke of an employer.

Too much of this sort of behaviour in some industries, a lot of people running small businesses with half a notion of how their staff are protected and unfortunately a lot of employees who don't realise either.

But I would turn up on Monday and if they are firing you insist on it in writing.

After that straight to a solicitor and start looking for a new job. Both you and employer will get what's owed to them, let the legal experts guide you as to how.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Go back to work Monday.
    You need to find out if you're being made redundant (as suggested by the restructuring comment), in which case you're entitled to a minimum of two weeks pay per year you've worked there. If you're not being made redundant and you're being fired, you should look at bringing a case for unfair dismissal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Back in on Monday.

If anything is said, ask if you are being sacked.

Ask for it im writing.

Meet with a solicitor - they usually give initial consultation free.

I assume you are some form of labourer - sign onto an agency and you'll be back with a better job and more pay in a week.

I presume they are paying you redundancy - 8 years = at least 16 weeks pay. If they refuse, you simply fill out an rf50 form and send it via the wrc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Secretly record the conversation on your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Tenigate wrote: »

And before anyone says that’s illegal.

It isn’t illegal to record yourself having a conversation with someone else even if they aren’t aware of the recording.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

amcalester wrote: »

And before anyone says that’s illegal.

It isn’t illegal to record yourself having a conversation with someone else even if they aren’t aware of the recording.
    The gerry mccabe maneuver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

sugarman wrote: »
    On another note, is that before or after Tax?

Minimum wage is €9.55 p/h since the first of January this year. Working 43 hour weeks means youre roughly on €8.70 p/h which would have met minimum requirements of €8.65 8 years ago when you first started your job but you would have been due rises year on year since 2015.

9.86 per hour if you deduct 1 hour for breaks per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Mr. Rahm wrote: »

No, I don't have a safe pass. It's a commercial farm so not sure I need one.

They get cheap diesel you say, and you take some as wages. Hmmm what colour is the diesel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

100% definitely record the meeting. Practice today to make sure that you'll get a decent recording in your shirt pocket or in your hand - wherever you can put the phone without drawing attention to it. Don't fiddle with it or look at it - get all that out of the way beforehand.
    Don't tell him that you're recording - even after the meeting. Put it away and produce it only after this tool of a boss has gone on record with what will be presumably a dishonest account of what was said.

Rehearse your questions and what you're going to say in the meeting and DO NOT GO OFF SCRIPT any more than you can avoid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement