Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let go after almost 8 years.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Think of it as an investment, you will get about 9k in 18 months time.

On Monday talk to a solicitor.

not sure he will get 9k, but he will get 17 weeks plus the 4 in lieu, which is €375 x 21 = €7875 he is due 4 weeks notice as he has been there 8 years, or they can employ him for the 4 weeks,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Mr. Rahm wrote: »
    Ok. I’m going in as normal in the morning.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Best move I think, it will be hard tomorrow but keep your cool and I really hope things will work out. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

lightspeed wrote:
    Best of luck, dont be afraid to email him also and cc it to your own personal email even if its to ask questions you already know the answer to. If there a written record such from an email trail, he not going to able to deny it or lie about saying something down the road.

He works in a shed on a farm for a boss who shouldn't be left in charge of a lit candle. I think it's pretty safe to assume there's no email system he can be using to build a paper trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Think of it as an investment, you will get about 9k in 18 months time.

On Monday talk to a solicitor.

not sure he will get 9k, but he will get 17 weeks plus the 4 in lieu, which is €375 x 21 = €7875 he is due 4 weeks notice as he has been there 8 years, or they can employ him for the 4 weeks,

You're assuming he's been made redundant, which doesn't seem to be the case. Based on what the op has described it will be unfair dismissal rather than redundancy.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Ok. I’m going in as normal in the morning.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

And record everything on your mobile phone , it can be used as evidence at a later stage with your employment law solicitor and sue them for unfair dismissal, it will go to an EAT.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 23 Mr. Rahm

As regards paper trails, I've nothing in writing from this company. Like I said previously, I had to fight to get my payslips emailed to me every week. Shocking for a company that employs about 30 people between the two sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

You say they didn't give you a contract, fair enough, however if they didn't did they give you a written statement of terms of employment?

If not, they are already breaking the law. Under the Terms of Employment (Information) Acts 1994–2014 your employer is obliged to give your a written statement of terms of employment within 2 months of the job starting, I know that was 8 years ago but it does not matter, you are still entitled to this.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contract_of_employment.html#l1f4da

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Mr. Rahm

You say they didn't give you a contract, fair enough, however if they didn't did they give you a written statement of terms of employment?

If not, they are already breaking the law. Under the Terms of Employment (Information) Acts 1994–2014 your employer is obliged to give your a written statement of terms of employment within 2 months of the job starting, I know that was 8 years ago but it does not matter, you are still entitled to this.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contract_of_employment.html#l1f4da
    Nope, nothing. They don't care for this sort of thing. I literally walked in there one day, asked for a manager, asked if they had any jobs going and he said yes, go home, get changed and comeback and start in an hour. That's how I started there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Nope, nothing. They don't care for this sort of thing. I literally walked in there one day, asked for a manager, asked if they had any jobs going and he said yes, go home, get changed and comeback and start in an hour. That's how I started there.

I take it you registered for tax with revenue when starting or did they register you? Make sure you're on the right tax code, I only ask because they sound like they haven't a clue of the basics. Anyways that's beside the point. I'd certainly be mentioning that you got no written statement of employment off them also to your solicitor if you have to go down that road.

Keep us updated OP, and best of luck tomorrow. I've had a couple of bad employers in my past also and know what it's like.

Regardless what happens, the sooner your out of there the better, I know you're thinking the financial implications but make sure to keep a positive head.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sorry folks, I'm going to have to close this one down as the OP is one of our persistent re-reggers. However I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not making this up, so I'm not going to delete the thread as there's a lot of very useful advice here for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement