Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach joining the Air Force

Options
  • 20-01-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'm 15 now so I still have 3 years before I have to make the decision of college or military service.

I want to the join the air force, specifically the RAF or American air force (because the Irish air corps are so underfunded and are still using turboprops) as a pilot, for many reasons first of which being protected not what I see as just a country but an Ideology I feel like most western militaries fight a common enemy in the name of an idea which I believe in that being western society and freedom.

I also have a passion for aircraft and have always wanted to fly them, the cost of flight school however has made this a no go but since after service in the RAF or American air force you can get a commercial license so joining also has good future job prospects.

Is it possible for me in any way as Irish citizen to join right away when I'm 18 and if not what is the quickest way getting citizenship that you know off?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and answers to my questions are really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are you a UK or dual UK citizen and will have have lived in the UK for 5 years before applying? if not then you cannot apply to be a pilot in the RAF. To check what roles in the RAF you can apply for go here

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check/

select the role from the list on the top left. the general requirements will be displayed on the left and the role specific requirements will be displayed on the right.

Advertisement