Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ray D'Arcy Show - 20th January 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

People slating Ray, idiots.
    No1 could handle that well. And I'm far from a ray fan
    Have a family member as challenging to chat to, it never gets easier.
    Ray did well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Shane McGowan is a national disgrace.

I'm fed up of having to endure this clown on national television.

Why invite him on when he consistently arrives in that sort of condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Why when Ray thanked and shook his hand at the end did he say 'happy birthday' when his birthday was nearly a month ago?
    Poor man was very flustered.

carolmon wrote: »
    Shane is slow in his responses alright but he's totally still with it

Eerr no he isn't.

He's a disgrace to the country of his ancestors the cockney pisshead twat.

Never got the adoration for this eejit.

He can't even sing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Victoria should have said 'Shane is older than you, but he has all his hair' :)

Didn't he repeat a lot of the questions like, "so Shane how old are you after having your 60th Birthday celebrations" :confused::(

Btw if anyone want's a good film or escape, Snake Plissken is on ITV4+1 now, Escape from NY :p

Even better it's the Blues Brothers

its-106-miles-to-chicago-we-got-a-full-tank-28029555.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Heroditas wrote: »
    He'll outlive all of us! :D

Still could be the last interview however. Hardly a riveting one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Are Spinal Tap references gone the way of the Dodo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s something a bit off about that Victoria one. But as ppl say, she’s been with him years at this stage so it’s prob genuine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Asus X540L wrote: »

Typo Ray Darcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Eerr no he isn't.

He can't even sing.

I agree He’s a brutal singer but he’s a great songwriter.

• Advertisement

Eerr no he isn't.

He can't even sing.

Hello Julie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

It annoys me that the public's perception of Shane (especially over this part of the Irish Sea) is that of the cartoon drunk. :(

Without a doubt one the finest songwriters/storytellers Ireland has ever produced.

Legend is a word bandied about nowadays, but Shane is definitely in that category, as the love and affection shown towards him on Monday night showed.

Now let us kneel and pray that Ray doesn't f**k it up :D

Wasn't watching but it appears from the comments on the thread that your prayers weren't answered......

The Pogues were one of the support acts for U2 in Croke Park in 1987. They were brilliant. When they finished I was roaring for more, much to the disgust of some of the Nenagh contingent near me - doubt if you were one of them, Joe? :)

Lou Reed was also support that day - truly magnificent, despite he and band members being pelted with fruit and bottles. Light a Big Fire also - pretty good.

As for the main act all I remember is the insanity when they came on stage. Amazing that nobody was killed in the crush that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I think ray, did as good a job as any other interviewer would have.That interview reminded me a of the, Parkinson and George Best one.Cringe worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What condition?

Typo Ray Darcy.

True he's no better.

LAst time I watched him he interviewed your man off Making a Murderer and I had to turn it off.

Disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Eerr no he isn't.

He can't even sing.

he's a pure poet and probably won't be really appreciated in his lifetime , like a lot of true artists

having said that I don't think he's the best material for a Saturday night chat show

I def think he has more of his faculties than his outward appearances suggest but I think it needs a quiet, unhurried space to get the essence of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Wheeling out a glorified pisshead.cant stand the glorification of Shane McGowan.shame that he has Tipp connections at all.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Wheeling out a glorified pisshead.cant stand the glorification of Shane McGowan.shame that he has Tipp connections at all.

Glorifying guys like him is one of the reasons young people start binge drinking imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

DON'T ASK A WOMAN HER AGE, YOU MORON!! :angry:

Why is this a #metoo thing ? Get over yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Eerr no he isn't.

He can't even sing.

Would you g'way out of that.

He's a sorry state now, but back in his pomp he was an amazing lyricist and his voice suited the music down to a tee.

It's sad to see him now, but let's not be stupid.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Prepare for the backlash.

1984, around the time I got me first bike, I remember it well.

What colour was the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The thread has been infiltrated by pissheads giving out about pissheads. :pac::pac: Abort. Abort!

Til next week folks.

DON'T ASK A WOMAN HER AGE, YOU MORON!! :angry:

that was payback for "were you there Ray? did you try to get a ticket"
    about Shane's 60th

fair play to Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

jprboy wrote: »

Classic Ray question there.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    I think ray, did as good a job as any other interviewer would have.That interview reminded me a of the, Parkinson and George Best one.Cringe worthy.

Bit of a difference, Shane couldn't string a sentence together without a minute pause.He mumbled/slurred through his answers and Ray could have done better, it was clear he couldn't answer anything but pressed him anyway.
    Vic on the other hand was the relief can you imagine that interview without her.

He's a great artist and love his songs but an recorded interview was the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A sort of metallic light blue :pac:

monkey9 wrote: »
    The thread has been infiltrated by pissheads giving out about pissheads. :pac::pac: Abort. Abort!

Til next week folks.

Probably the same people that found Tv show Friends now on Netflix offensive, jaysus don't watch Father Ted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'd be Shane's biggest defender but I'd say he shouldn't have agreed to this interview at all. He's in terrible pain in his hips and back. Besides that. Look at any interview with him in the last twenty five to thirty years and he always pauses for up to thirty seconds to think what he's going to say. He doesn't blurt out the first thing that comes inrto his head.When he does start to talk thre's usually something good coming out but the radio or tv presenter can't sit there with dead air and they ask the next question and the cycle starts over again.

eigrod wrote: »
    I think there’s an element of roguery in Shane too. I’d say he enjoys making Darcy cringe. We shouldn’t underestimate his intelligence

That brain works overtime.

• Advertisement

Bit of a difference, Shane couldn't string a sentence together without a minute pause.He mumbled/slurred through his answers and Ray could have done better, it was clear he couldn't answer anything but pressed him anyway.
    Vic on the other hand was the relief can you imagine that interview without her.

He's a great artist and i love his songs but an recorded interview was the way to go.
    Ur right,it would have been a suffer feast if she wasn't there.Very hard to watch.Very good point you just brought up.Why the hell, didn't they do a pre recorded interview.Bye the way,was he sipping wine?I read somewhere,he hadn't drank in months.

Wasn't watching but it appears from the comments on the thread that your prayers weren't answered......

The Pogues were one of the support acts for U2 in Croke Park in 1987. They were brilliant. When they finished I was roaring for more, much to the disgust of some of the Nenagh contingent near me - doubt if you were one of them, Joe? :)

Lou Reed was also support that day - truly magnificent, despite he and band members being pelted with fruit and bottles. Light a Big Fire also - pretty good.

As for the main act all I remember is the insanity when they came on stage. Amazing that nobody was killed in the crush that day.

I was in Northampton at the time. I bet the Nayna crowd ave changed their minds since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Watch "The Great Hunger:The Life & Songs Of Shane MacGowan (Complete Version)" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/KOu6PbfLO1g

what is life is to death what is snake bite to antidote what is joy to despair. this is the elixir to the poison.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Ur right,it would have been a suffer feast if she wasn't there.Very hard to watch.Very good point you just brought up.Why the hell, didn't they do a pre recorded interview.Bye the way,was he sipping wine?I read somewhere,he hadn't drank in months.

Yea heard he was down to 2 bottles of wine a day. I really like Shane but there is no point beating a horse when he is down, he deserves so much better than that.
    Anyway its done and its there for everyone to see, suppose to Ray's credit I have never seen a good interview with Shane but that was the worst.
    My left Foot on RTE2 that will keep me very happy over that disgrace.

Watch "The Great Hunger:The Life & Songs Of Shane MacGowan (Complete Version)" on YouTube

Cheers something for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Would such bollixology have been able to go on if social media was around then?

There would have been uproar! As it was, the people of Abbeydorney supported her, and Nell McCafferty's reports on the case had crowds of women protesting outside the courthouse. Apparently, women from all over Ireland sent flowers to Joanne Hayes when they read of the outrageous treatment she was receiving at the Tribunal. This was said to have driven Judge Lynch crazy! :D Considering all that, I doubt if Lynch and those barristers would have been able to get away with the scandalous and absolutely cruel treatment they meted out to that girl. The only politicians who objected to it were the women T.D.s, I believe, but, sure, who took any real notice of them at the time! :D:mad:

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was in Northampton at the time. I bet the Nayna crowd ave changed their minds since.

Ah, it was just two lads in particular looking at me with disdain who would have considered themselves superior to the common man, most Nayna folk would always have had a grá for the Pogues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Kerry must be glad they aren't in Ulster province because if they were they would have alot less All-Irelands, it was always hard to break through the Ulster province prior to the qualifiers in 2001. Kerry were always able to sail through into the semi finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Why is this a #metoo thing ? Get over yourself

Nothing to do with the #metoo campaign - just general good manners.

It is the gentlemanly thing to do, to never ask a woman her age...especially live on national TV.

what is life is to death what is snake bite to antidote what is joy to despair. this is the elixir to the poison.

I'm in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Genuine question: Does Shane have some form of an illness or is this what drink/drugs has done to him? Such an uncomfortable watch

Thats what I would like to know. It wouldn't surprise me if he had Parkinsons disease

So sad to watch a person with so much talent end up like that

Or anyone for that matter

Kerry must be glad they aren't in Ulster province because if they were they would have alot less All-Irelands, it was always hard to break through the Ulster province prior to the qualifiers in 2001. Kerry were always able to sail through into the semi finals.

347693_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Absolutely... all there! There’s the bit of Parkinsonianism where the exoression is a stunted but the thinking is all there![/QUOTE

iI agree i said long ago that i thought he might have parkinsons with the facial expression and slowness and also speech

lulu1 wrote: »
    Absolutely... all there! There’s the bit of Parkinsonianism where the exoression is a stunted but the thinking is all there![/QUOTE

iI agree i said long ago that i thought he might have parkinsons with the facial expression and slowness and also speech

totally agree

there's a delay due to a deterioration in motor skills but when he gets the words out it's obvious the mind is still sharp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

347693_b.jpg

The competition question tonight was what province was Kerry in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Shane's wife was nuts!

"Wasn't a fan of his music or Fairytale of New York, and found his music boring" - what a thing to say!

Had a good laugh at the end when he told the caller she sounded sexy.

Nothing to do with the #metoo campaign - just general good manners.

It is the gentlemanly thing to do, to never ask a woman her age...especially live on national TV.

Sorry but the new type of snowflake SJW **** have pushed for equal rights for all,
    So if we have to conform to these new rules, i dont think asking a woman her age is bad.

Sorry but the new type of snowflake SJW **** have pushed for equal rights for all,
    So if we have to conform to these new rules, i dont think asking a woman her age is bad.

What age are you :confused:

What age are you :confused:

12, my mammy lets me up

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Top man Terry Woods.

Have you heard the techno version?
    Not yet, got a link?

Here you go. It;s Dub , not techno. I'm not up to date with all this modern stuff.

Stick on the headphones and pump up the volume.

Advertisement